Horseshoe area fish id?

Airbike

Jul 23, 2015
SoCal
Name
Dan
Boat Name
NA
So this strange looking fish came up along a vermillion on a double dropper loop in about 85' of water at the Horseshoe kelp area off Long Beach.
DFW fish counter at the ramp didn't know what it is.
Anyone know what it is?

20220724_143723.jpg

20220724_143853.jpg

Reactions: jiggermyster

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica from San Diego
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
Sable fish, black cod or butter fish

White flaky meat prized delicacy. There is a northern population and southern. Netflix (meat eater) the Alaska episode. The host targets them

Live deep. Sword bait delicacy

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat Name
skiff
Delicious... look up a black cod recipe. One of the only fish I will purchase.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
Delicious... look up a black cod recipe. One of the only fish I will purchase.
Agree. I have halibut, sockeye, yellowfin, yellowtail and wahoo in my freezer. The only fish I would (ever) consider purchasing is sablefish. I just really want to put some in my smoker, with that oil content it must be amazing smoked.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat Name
Royal Star
Sable fish, black cod or butter fish

White flaky meat prized delicacy. There is a northern population and southern. Netflix (meat eater) the Alaska episode. The host targets them

Live deep. Sword bait delicacy
A buddy of mine used to work on the Redondo beach barge, he caught quite a few of them there 40 years ago. I've fished horseshoe kelp at least a few thousand times and have never seen one there. That's definitely a rare catch for the shoe.

Upvote 0

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
  • Oct 7, 2006
    los alamitos
    Name
    brian
    Boat Name
    whatever floats
    And never seen them caught that shallow. Back in the day we used to catch them in 400-600 ft of water at Short Bank. And the funny thing was that we always viewed them as junk fish back then. We would chunk them up and send em back down. Always remembered how oily the meat was.

• Wow
    Reactions: Noms
    Upvote 0
    Jan 13, 2018
    Littleton, Co
    Name
    Kirby
    Boat Name
    Ranger Z521
    Sablefish "Balck Cod". Same here. Back in the day we would catch them when rockfishing, deep. We thought they were junk but happily fileted them for the side money. They filet like butter and you can fly through a sack full in no time. Come to find out, 45 years later, they are a delicacy. Wish I had some now.

Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Agree. I have halibut, sockeye, yellowfin, yellowtail and wahoo in my freezer. The only fish I would (ever) consider purchasing is sablefish. I just really want to put some in my smoker, with that oil content it must be amazing smoked.
    Costco has specials once in a while on Black Cod/butterfish, my last 10lb box was actually about 12lbs (they are always over on weight). I just made misoyaki butterfish a few days ago....it's a delicacy for sure and always a crowd pleaser.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    A buddy of mine used to work on the Redondo beach barge, he caught quite a few of them there 40 years ago. I've fished horseshoe kelp at least a few thousand times and have never seen one there. That's definitely a rare catch for the shoe.
    I remember back in the '70's going out on a day boat (GW? Enterprise?) and anchoring up near the rigs. Mixed in with the rock fish were sablefish and hake. Both fish looked similar.
    Sablefish were the desirable, more meat than cods. The hake, not so much. I caught a lot of hake.

Upvote 0