Horseshoe 3-10 Seeing Red

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by sea4reel, Mar 13, 2019.

1. sea4reel

sea4reel water taxi

Name:
    Tim Jarrett
    Boat:
    32 luhrs Holokai and 28 skipjack
    Got a little bit of a late start Sunday morning, probably due to the time change. Got off the dock at Sunset Aquatic around 7 with one other boat and headed out.

The original plan was to head to Cat for some rockfish and then poke around the island a little bit. With the late start we decided to stay local since the primary goal was rockfish anyway.

Upon exiting the harbor we make a right to head out to a spot that has been very productive for us in the past. As we approach the spot it appears the Monte Carlo is sitting on the hook right where we want to be. Oh well that happens sometimes.

So we make a quick left and start heading down the coast in search some of other stones. We spent a little time metering in deeper water and didn't see anything worth stopping on.

At this point we decide to move into shallower water and that decision paid off nicely. Made a short run to a spot in 160' of water and proceeded to put 29 reds, 1 barber pole, 1 whitefish, and a sand bass on the boat over the next 2 hours.

Now that we had our limits of rockfish we ran inside to a few spots to fish bass. The current had kind of died so the bass fishing wasn't great. We did still manage to get a few bass before we headed in. All in all it was a great day on the water with 2 of my best friends.

depth fished: 160
    bait used: frozen squid
    water temp: 56-58
    Resized952019031095104242951720.jpg

2. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
  3. WestCoveBasser

WestCoveBasser Member

Name:
    JDub
    Boat:
    Bassinator
    Nice haul of Fish Tacos right there..... Congrats

4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Outstanding guys!

5. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Fun times.

I tried Catalina Sunday looking around the 400 to 450 feet depth range. Didn't find a single stone. Ended up getting all my fish at 250 to 300 feet.

Anybody have success at 450 feet?

6. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    [QUOTE="Azarkon,

Anybody have success at 450 feet?[/QUOTE]
    Wait until the water warms up.

7. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    School me:

Is it possible when your catching small rockfish to bring them up slowly enough to keep the eyes bulging and death; say if you were to bring them up at a slower speed when fishing 200 feet? Toss back to little guys for another day?

I know I've caught Sand Bass in 85 ft. and seen the stomachs come out their mouth. I tried slowing down the retrieval and did not get the same result.

Nice mixed bag sea4reel. Congratulations!

8. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    They make some kind of descender for that, not sure if it really works.

If you take a 60mL syringe and an 18g needle you can safely puncher the air bladder and decompress them. The air bladder membrane heals really fast. The other issue is the occular pressure in their eyes reaches a rate that can permanently blind them.

The best thing I have found is big hooks with big baits. Less bites but better quality.

Moor_fish, shinbob and octans like this.
  9. sea4reel

sea4reel water taxi

Name:
    Tim Jarrett
    Boat:
    32 luhrs Holokai and 28 skipjack
    LJ normally we carry a Seaqualizer on board to release the smaller rockfish. It allows you do drop the fish back to a depth that will compress the swim bladder. Unfortunately I forgot it on this trip but I will make sure it's on the boat for the next one.

As far as winding them up slow enough to release them without using some sort of release device I'm not sure if it's possible. My advice would be spend $50 on a Seaqualizer and wind them up like normal.

sickcat likes this.
  10. Kingfisher13

Kingfisher13 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Fox
    Boat:
    22 Osprey Northwind
    Descenders are required in Oregon for all bottom fishing. There a number of different types available at different price points. The one I prefer is the simplest and likely cheapest around. Survival rates have a lot to do with how deep you are fishing but every little bit helps. Big hooks and baits help too. 20190313_211029.jpg

vipertom1970, shinbob and clevel like this.
  11. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    X2 on the Shelton, simplest and cheapest.
    Saw a very interesting show on rockfish 2 nights ago.It was a presentation of the Santa Barbara Maritime museum on Channel 10.
    Specific answer was no on reeling up slow. Like decompression when diving, it would take forever, They did cage release tests with cameras. Amazingly, fish that had major barotrauma and that even the scientist figured the fish was dead, i.e. laying on deck for a while.,
    90% plus swam away. Their main message was it doesn't matter what you use but use something.

the SLIDER likes this.
  12. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    I use the Roklees device. We sent 6 fish down last Sunday at the SE Bank, including a nice cowcod that took 1lb of lead to sink. You can feel them kick on the way down as they equalize. One solid yank and the fish is released. Some type of descending device should be mandatory equipment on all boats fishing in over 100'.

[​IMG]

Yella1, the SLIDER and sea4reel like this.
  13. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Very nice,I love seeing red! Wtg

14. ReelWhite

ReelWhite Local Hooker

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    260 Sea Ray
  15. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    You can easily make your own with an inverted hook and a torpedo weight at the end. You just wrap your line around the hook. You just need to flatten the hook barb or file it down. I use that as my weight for rockfish so I can descent and set up for the next fish at the same time. It help saves time and makes descending easier. You just hold the weight up and put reel in freespool. Toss the weight and fish overboard and let it sink. I tested different hooks and find the larger circle hook to be better at keeping the fish on the hook until you release it.

sea4reel and KID CREOLE like this.
  16. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Can you post pic
    Thanks

17. grahams98

grahams98 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18 FT Ranger Chief 380
    Not to hijack a thread but you can get them for free in Oregon at this site:

https://oceaned.org/request-devices/

LEC, Yella1 and Kingfisher13 like this.
  18. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thank you! I requested one, hopefully they ship out of state.

19. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thanks for the education BDers.

I'm not a big rockfisherman. Too boring, so I haven't spent much time searching for spots or perfecting a technique. I do like to throw back smaller fish in general and only keep stuff to eat. Way more conservative in my older years.

Surprising. I would have never though 90% or even 50%. Looked at a few more sites and saw optimism in the NW that Descenders work and is the right thing to do. I'm in. Made something that will work as a Descender; coat hanger I got from work.

IMG_0928.JPG
    Let's Descend!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Kingfisher13 and sea4reel like this.
  20. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Basically, something similar to this. Instead of tying a knot around the hook, I make a loop on the line and loop it around the hook so I can remove easily if needed. I tie the sinker directly to the eye of the hook with a welded ring. You can also use a heavy duty piece of mono to tie to the weight through the eye. I also use a circle hook to keep the fish from sliding off easily. You can also use a plier to squeeze the hook closer so it won't slide off the fish easily. It is easier to keep the fish on the hook if you slide the hook on a thicker area of the fish's mouth instead of thin areas where the hole can enlarge and the fish slide off during the descent.

With this setup, you can still put a dropper loop around your line to tie a hook to catch fish. You can descend the fish and start fishing right away without having to bring up the descender up. It saves a lot of time and work when you are fishing in deep waters. You are more likely to descend a small fish if you don't have to use a separate descender to bring the fish down and bring the descender back up.

Surprisingly, there was a couple of times the lingcods ate the lead weight with the descender hook on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    clevel, pacificscout and sea4reel like this.