horse boarding question ?

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
If anyone has experience with horses please chime in with your opinion regardless of how many others answer.

The question is how much on average does it cost per day to board a horse. Also, how much does it cost, per hour ??? to rent a small training ring, the ring was roughly 90 X 50.

I found a bitchen property in Vegas with a boarding stable and a small nice little training ring. The property is rough and needs work but it is a little over an acre with a custom home, seperate barn/stable which has a private house on top which could easily be rented for income or occupied by a horse owner/ stable worker.

I dont have much experience with horses, but this looks like a decent opportunity. I appreciate your opinions. thank you

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Going price here in San Diego, east county is about $250/mo...

Lou W

registered offender
Apr 7, 2004
Poway, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
Rabbit Hole
We boarded in Poway about 5 years ago. Cost was 250 month and this was a fairly inexpensive place. Use of the rings was included in the price. Never heard of paying to use a ring at a place you board at.

OFN

COB
Mar 18, 2007
Leona Valley
Name
Nat
Boat
Striper 2150, Indie
Board is usually $250.00 per month and up at a stable that has basic facilities. The property you described would be great for a person that wanted to keep their horse at home. 1 acre is not near enough to be considered a boarding facility.

lokegirl48

"LOKE" God of Mischief
Feb 25, 2007
Ventura, CA
Name
Debbie
Boat
If I told you, you'd kick me off the site LOL
Horses are actually delicate animals and that heat is going to require extra care, water, electricity, etc. Make sure you factor that in when you figure your expenses. Also, what type of client are you hoping to attract? If it's strictly for pleasure riding then basics are fine but if you are going after a "show" market then you'll need to really research the needs. I haven't trained in @ 25 years and things are quite different but I should think along the technology lines, there are new/more things to have. Ask Elliemay=Julie I think she's very involved. Good Luck, sounds fun!!

elliemay

Navigator
Apr 22, 2007
Chatsworth
Name
Julie
Boat
Parker 2120
Board depends on the facility. I am in a top notch one and I pay $700 board, $450 for my groom, and training is around $500 ( I am not in training. Most places charge $1200 for everything. Your ring is too small and you need a covered ring in Vegas plus fans in every stall. There is no $ in boarding, the $ comes from training and sales plus shows. You need a million dollar insurance policy to have people riding horses on your property. If you lease the barn and the ring to one trainer he needs to take out this policy to train there. Even if you lease the land I still think you need insurance. I can find out if you are serious. The cost of feed, bedding, footing, and stall and ground keepers, watering down the properity, repairs ( horses eat and kick down fences) is very expensive. I don't recomend it if you don't know the business. Like I said if you want to lease the whole properity for a set amoount or live there but lease out the barn and the ring that is different. You could lease the barn etc for a set amount and let them buy their own feed and pay their workers. Still if someone falls off or any horse is hurt on your property you will be sued! Don't do it man. Besides an acre is too small for a business. E mail me if you just want to rent out space for 2 or 3 horses but the headache of people coming on your property bringing their friends and dogs plus the liability isn't worth it. I had my own training barn I will be happy to help you. I had 5 acres. It is doable but it's just better if you e mail me and I'll give you my # We can talk about options. The insurance thing however is a must now. We used to get away without it. I can find out what a mil policy costs a year. You aren't required by law to have it I don't think and neither is the trainer, however every boarding place and every trainer I know has it. For good reason, horses mame and kill, people fall off etc. You need rules also like the wearing of helmets etc. Just call me, I am giving you all the rules. You could still do a small thing if a girl in your neighborhood wants to keep her horse at your house, and charge her $350 to $500 a month, but for that you need to provide feed etc.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Thanks everyone.

Julie,
Thanks for that. I was thinking more along the lines of your last sentence. After visitng the property again and getting more info, its not a keeper. It is a nice place though. Needs too much work though, if i had horses id be more interested. Im gonna pass on this one.

Thanks for all the help people.