Hop on charge?

Goleta_Slim

Oct 14, 2015
Goleta
Name
Jason
Boat
A plastic one and a wood one
I searched for info on this but couldn't find much so forgive me if it's a common question.

What do y'all charge friends and extended fishing friends to jump on your boat for a full day on the water?

I don't want to be overcharging but I'm not about to pay someone to fish on my boat.

Looking for what the average protocol is.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

evilkhemist

Mar 17, 2005
Sorrento
Name
Brandon
Boat
Parker 2510xld
On my boat, we split gas and bait evenly. I get ice for free from my boat yard, but that should be split if it has to be purchased. Everyone helps with boat and fish cleaning. I don't add any other cost associated with owning the boat. I look at it this way, anyone going with me is helping me spend more time on the water. Hell, I even bring extra rods and beer for everyone.
I choose to fish with mostly with friends, so they all know to pay up and no excuses when it's time to clean up.

Upvote 0

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
legally u can't charge ....unless u have a license ...but help with cost is the term ppl use ..... most ppl split the cost evenly with gas,bait,launch fee and ice ...and they stick around to help clean the boat .... what i do when i jump on my buddies is whoever owns the boat pays nothing ....the rest of the ppl split it ...owner of boat have matience n fix cost and he did pay for the boat ......

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I'm with the other guys. I split the cost among everyone going including myself. I have a couple friends that like to pay for boat fuel and bait, so I will at least cover truck fuel and drinks. Most people just bring their own munchies and what not. We all chip in to clean the boat and fish. If one doesn't know how to clean fish, they're about to learn.

Reactions: Goleta_Slim
Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
One of the reasons I got my boat was to take my sons and their friends fishing.
Some of them are low income and have never fished. They are free free free. The smile on their faces is more than enough payment. Usually trips are 1/2 day local, not using much fuel, however, they ARE expected to help clean the boat. BIGTIME !!
Longer, more serious trips are another story. Probably gonna have more serious fishermen/women aboard., expect 20-50 bucks each for share of fuel, launch fee and amenities. i.e. beer. Ha ha , depending on where we go. Even then, sometimes I say what the heck, if they have no money. Only once have I felt stiffed..... He won't be on my boat again.....

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
When a F&G or harbor officer ask anyone if they paid for the ride you guys better have your story straight.

No charging, but a friendly splitting of expenses is ok. We exchange $$ at home after the trip & after boat & fish are cleaned, that way no one has paid anything before or during an excursion. No way to screw that up...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goleta_Slim

Oct 14, 2015
Goleta
Name
Jason
Boat
A plastic one and a wood one
Thanks for all the advice and responses.

I guess I should have worded it better, "what's a typical amount for buddies to chip in for a day of fishing?"

I feel better knowing what the norm is now!!

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
if they don't know what is expected on ur boat then they don't need to go ...take their ass on a cattle boat for 145 .... :) then they will be happy to pay 40-100 bucks on expense n fishing 3-4 ppl 40-100 is because if the fish is close or we have to make a run n burn more fuel ....n depends if they are eating more live bait than irons .......my cheapest trip was to the 150 with 4 ppl and it cost 30 bucks a person 1 scoop of bait and gas n ice so it was like 120 total but do let ppl know that prices goes up depends on where u going ...

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
This is a legitimate question and needs to be asked on occasion to bring things back into perspective. Using my 23' boat as an example it costs $80 R/T in truck fuel. I get 1.9 gpm over the course of a day. Bait, well that is a story right there especially if you need a couple of scoops. Now gasoline is a wild card right now, I burn 97 octane in my F300 and based on a short 150 mile R/T (50 out, 50 back and 50 of moving around) your looking at 80 gallons X the price de jour. I will take two guys, three if I have to and we split the costs evenly along with the catch. I am employed. When I go on a fixed income (retired) I may have to take people that are willing to finance the trip because I finance a boat I have 70K in and will never, ever, ever see that money again, plus insurance, luxury tax, registration and the big one (drum roll please) maintenance! My equipment is solid and when I am 50-100 miles offshore it just has to be that way. Nobody's responsibility but my own. Last season my maintenance cost me about 5K in parts. I do all the work. I cannot afford to pay people to do poor work. This boat owner stuff is tough business. I might need to become a ho. Pay my share of operating costs and go home as care free as can be. This fish crap is expensive, and then there are times you don't catch anything! Oh shit, keel haul that bastard......

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
even split all around, kids don't count as a "share" and ride for free.

Reactions: invictus
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Just a thought here. I do have them occasionally. It is easier to answer this question if you are the "Ho". It seems to me that the answer(s) generated by the skippers should carry more weight, because after all an even split of the expenses of a day of operation, is not ever even for the owner/skipper.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Legally you cannot set a certain amount or make it a requirement to go with you, or then you would need a license. If someone doesn't voluntarily chip in, it's their last ride as far as I'm concerned. Among good friends, we used to all chip in a certain amount and ALL expenses were paid out of that amount. Any left over was divided up at the end. That way no one felt that they had over paid. You know, "I bought the beer. But I brought sandwiches etc". You supply a boat full of fuel and you get a boat full of fuel back and all expenses are paid out of the pot.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
a lot of good responses above... and what I do is make sure the boat is full of fuel and when we are done for the day we all go straight to the gas station and fill back up and split the cost... as far as other costs I bring the ice and what ever I want to drink/eat and everyone else splits bait costs and bring what they want to drink/eat... yes I know 3 scoops of bait costs more than 150 lbs. of ice but I spend a lot of time/$ on keeping a tip top boat so I figure they still get a deal... and I think that's fair and so have the people that have gone with me

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
The old saying goes....Ass, Cash or Gas.....boat don't run on thank yous.

I try even split including towing fuel. Sometimes you get more, sometimes less, sometimes people don't get invited back.

Some friends have less money, they ride free cause they're friends. It all comes around.

Upvote 0