PENN

Paulle37

Feb 11, 2018
San Pedro
Name
Paul
Boat
1850 sea swirl
We’ve hooped Long Beach Harbor with success but every year opening day is such a shit show. So we’re thinking of hooping outside the harbor. Has anybody hooped the point Fermin area and west of it. I’ve seen a bunch of commercial traps there but was wondering if anybody had any luck hoopnetting. Thanks!

Reactions: SemperFi75
Upvote 0

Paulle37

Feb 11, 2018
San Pedro
Name
Paul
Boat
1850 sea swirl
Yes! Yes!
Keep away from heavy kelp.
Watch current and drop 1 -2 close by.
Keep a eye open for the big boats that
speed by just to laugh as you bob up and down, then all around for your life..
Sounds like you were diving that spot. Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

Paulle37

Feb 11, 2018
San Pedro
Name
Paul
Boat
1850 sea swirl
Hooped the area but fog came in pretty thick at around 8pm and it got really fuckin scary. Couldn’t see 5 feet in front of me. Lots of commercial buoys out though. I could be wrong but I thought the season for the commercial guys doesn’t start til later. Given the elements and unpredictable conditions, I’m gonna stick to the harbor from now on.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Hooped the area but fog came in pretty thick at around 8pm and it got really fuckin scary. Couldn’t see 5 feet in front of me. Lots of commercial buoys out though. I could be wrong but I thought the season for the commercial guys doesn’t start til later. Given the elements and unpredictable conditions, I’m gonna stick to the harbor from now on.
Commercial guys get to set traps unbaited before their opening day.

Upvote 0

SemperFi75

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
We’ve hooped Long Beach Harbor with success but every year opening day is such a shit show. So we’re thinking of hooping outside the harbor. Has anybody hooped the point Fermin area and west of it. I’ve seen a bunch of commercial traps there but was wondering if anybody had any luck hoopnetting. Thanks!

Yup. Just not good luck.🤣
Noobie hooping.
Wrong time of day but breaking in the gear.
3BBA0DD8-EE52-4C4D-929B-D5B08286D580.jpeg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Hey I have seen those guys before in my nets! Heavy ars fog and crab pots is No No!
Somebody did not make it home!

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
So, I looked it up in google, and I came up with this.

Taking sea snails and octopus caught incidentally in your lobster hoop net is not allowed (CCR Title 14, section 29.10(a)).

Does this still apply to kellet's whelk or is there different law involved?

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    So, I looked it up in google, and I came up with this.

Taking sea snails and octopus caught incidentally in your lobster hoop net is not allowed (CCR Title 14, section 29.10(a)).

Does this still apply to kellet's whelk or is there different law involved?

Never knew that about octopus. I’ve seen Calicos and Rockfish brought up on hoop nets.. you definitely can’t keep those.

Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2017
    SGV
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    Arima SC16
    I've had no issues taking the kellet's whelk that were in my hoops. The DFG told me as long as they were not taken from inside any MPA's I'm ok. They also said a lot of people catch then in there hoop nets here in SoCal.

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
    Jan 30, 2006
    Buena Park, california
    Name
    daniel
    Boat
    Sailfish 176CC
    I've had no issues taking the kellet's whelk that were in my hoops. The DFG told me as long as they were not taken from inside any MPA's I'm ok. They also said a lot of people catch then in there hoop nets here in SoCal.

To make sure, I sent email to DFG and this is what I got.
    Q:
    Hello,

I went hoop netting for lobster this weekend at long beach, I saw that there were bunch of kellet's whelk in the hoop net. I didn't know the regulation, so I threw all back, but is it ok to keep those? Any size limits?

A:
    Daniel,

According to Chapter 4, subsection 29.10(a) of the CA Ocean Sportfishing Regulations, "Except as otherwise provided in this article, saltwater mollusks, including octopus, may be taken only on hook-and-line or with the hands," so you did the right thing letting them go as they cannot be caught using hoop nets. When fishing by hand or with hook-and-line, there is no minimum size for Kellet's whelk and the daily bag limit is 35 (Chapter 4, subsection 29.05(a)).

Thank you, and good luck fishing,

CDFW Lobster Management Team,
    [email protected]
    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Invertebrates/Lobster

You probably are right that many DFG warden just let you go, but I am not taking any chances.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0