Hooping Mission Bay - 12/18/16

PENN
Jul 1, 2015
Name
Austin
Boat
The Santa Clara
Buddy, his gf and I launched out of Dana before sunset (quite the sunset it was!) looking for some bugs. We dropped our first traps on the south jetty before sunset. About 4 more sets there and pulled shorts only. Wind came up a bit, so we headed in for some shelter. Managed to grab one legal inside hospitality point.

Thanks to @Bottom Line for directions on making seal-proof bait cages, and @queenfish for loaning us the boat. The seals were around us all night and not one piece of bait lost to them.

Happy hooping,
AR
DSC00191 (2).jpg
IMG_6534.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Buddy, his gf and I launched out of Dana before sunset (quite the sunset it was!) looking for some bugs. We dropped our first traps on the south jetty before sunset. About 4 more sets there and pulled shorts only. Wind came up a bit, so we headed in for some shelter. Managed to grab one legal inside hospitality point.

Thanks to @Bottom Line for directions on making seal-proof bait cages, and @queenfish for loaning us the boat. The seals were around us all night and not one piece of bait lost to them.

Happy hooping,
    AR
    View attachment 808892View attachment 808891 View attachment 808890
    I think being able to borrow Queenfish's boat is a winning report to begin with! We think he's great and love his boat!

Upvote 0

efishonsea

Almost A Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Fallbrook, CA
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    19' NauticStar CC
    Huh... we hit mission bay on the 17th and the seals shredded our bait cages and dragged our hoops all over the place! I had one grab and run with a hoop I was pulling!!! It was ridiculous to say the least, but the only hoop they stayed out of had 2 shorts in it so who knows...

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Thanks, @Willdoggy -- queenfish is a good dude (and also my uncle)!

@efishonsea I'll send you a message with the bait containers I made.
    You are lucky to have your Uncle Mark! He is very kind to loan that boat to you. Have you asked him for his secret Mackerel recipe? We think he's super!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I never had too much luck hooping MB.

My best night was sleeping on my boat on the hook. I dropped 2 nets for the night thinking what the hell do I have to lose. I got up around 330 to take a leak and then pulled in 4 keepers. Dropped them back down and pulled up 2 more just before sunrise.

Maybe I was doing it wrong before. Instead of staying up hooping all night I can be warm and dry with my girl who smells a hell of a lot better than my hooping partner. LOL

Reactions: TwoTapPat
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I never had too much luck hooping MB.

My best night was sleeping on my boat on the hook. I dropped 2 nets for the night thinking what the hell do I have to lose. I got up around 330 to take a leak and then pulled in 4 keepers. Dropped them back down and pulled up 2 more just before sunrise.

Maybe I was doing it wrong before. Instead of staying up hooping all night I can be warm and dry with my girl who smells a hell of a lot better than my hooping partner. LOL
    That's how I do it. She does smell good! :D

All kidding aside hooping has been horrible in MB this year. Even worse than last year. I Haven't even bought a card this year.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    That's how I do it. She does smell good! :D

All kidding aside hooping has been horrible in MB this year. Even worse than last year. I Haven't even bought a card this year.

Hey all us BD brothas share and share alike!.:boobies:

Oh BTW Carl when are you gonna have a girl to share? Mine's getting worn out and not smelling as good as she used too! :_portable

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Hey all us BD brothas share and share alike!.:boobies:

Oh BTW Carl when are you gonna have a girl to share? Mine's getting worn out and not smelling as good as she used too! :_portable
    better hope your wife don't read this (aka Your girl) lol

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Keeping GF happy is half the battle, and looks like you succeeded there.
    Looks to be great weather at sunset also, damn wind.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Couple guys going out now....:Singin_In

Reactions: duckbutter6a
    Upvote 0

steveor

The Roderboat aka Marga
    Jun 30, 2005
    san diego
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    20' Trophy Bayliner
    We go north out of MB to hoop along the edge of the South La Jolla SMR area. Lobster crawl and have no idea where that boundary is . . . good area. Got 4 legal out of 45 caught last Tuesday. Not a boat in sight and like glass on the ocean. Like hooping on my own lake. We got one tagged bug and I spoke to the research guy at DFG when I turned the tag in. The lobster had been tagged in San Diego bay in 2009, by the very individual I talked to, and made it's way up towards Bird Rock over the years. 1st tagged bug ever for me with 1000's caught over the decades. Kinda cool

Upvote 0