PENN

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Went out to the rock piles in Santa Monica bay. I have successfully fished them before so I know there are bugs there. I decided to put some torpedo weights at the end of my ropes to make sure floating ropes did not end up wrapped up in my prop. Well, that may have been a mistake. For the first time ever, I did not get a single bug. I mean, not even a short one. Nothing!! I got a number of sharks and one crab but that was it. I kinda think it had to do with the weights as my floats were floating funny and the traps were moving so I think the weights caused the floats to pull the traps up (just my guess) and that spooked the lobsters as they were trying to get in them.

Do any of you use weights to avoid the rope slack from floating?

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I’ve tried it that way and found that with the wind and tide by the time I got the buoy in the boat and set to pull I’ve already disturbed the lobsters I like to leave 15 or 20 extra feet And approach along side the buoy with the bow into the wind keeping the motor away from the ropes, everybody has their own way. For what it’s worth you’re not alone I was out last night on a really good high tide spot I was positive there were bugs everywhere and ended up with one , slow start this year.

9BB64514-C699-4D80-9E8B-948C09E081AA.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    I’ve tried it that way and found that with the wind and tide by the time I got the buoy in the boat and set to pull I’ve already disturbed the lobsters I like to leave 15 or 20 extra feet And approach along side the buoy with the bow into the wind keeping your motor away from the ropes, everybody has their own way. For what it’s worth you’re not alone I was out last night on a really good high tide spot I was positive there were bugs everywhere and ended up with one , slow start this year.

View attachment 1224868
    I got 9 bugs from that exact same location 2 weeks ago! But I hear you on the different approach we all have.
    Thanks.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I got 9 bugs from that exact same location 2 weeks ago! But I hear you on the different approach we all have.
    Thanks.
    I went solo last night just to get the smell off from Friday where four of us buddie boaters all got skunked, Its fishing, My motto is "High hopes- low expectations"!

Reactions: sushimi
    Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    If you are worried about that, why not put a little extra weight in your hoop? I went to “play it again sports” and bought cheap used 5 lb flat weights and just zip tied them in the bait pouch.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

WHALER21

Almost A Member
  • Aug 27, 2006
    Cerritos
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    BW Justice 17', Parker 2320, 15' Boston Whaler & 16' G3
    You may want to consider purchasing leaded line made by Promar which is designed to sink and eliminate the possibility of prop fouling while crabbing or lobster hooping. It's a little more expensive than regular line, but at least you dont have to hassle with attaching torpedo sinkers.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

ryanhead

Almost A Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    24' Skipjack Flybridge
    I put 10oz weights on my lines with floating poly rope and have no issues. Something is weird about this season. I hit a spot in LA last week where we regularly pull 2-3 limits per set and only managed 10 keepers for 3 sets, which is probably the worst score I've ever pulled there. I live in SD now and I was pulling some decent numbers at the beginning of season, but it has really shut down the last few weeks. Seems like the whole coast isn't doing well.

Upvote 0

fish&snow

lurker
    May 27, 2014
    Name
    James
    Boat
    Reel Freedom
    Went out Saturday night. No love for our efforts. Not a thing. We did lose 1 net. Not sure why, maybe a seal took it for a ride.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Promar also sells clip on weights for line mgt., I saw them at dana landing (in San Diego)

Upvote 0

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
    Jun 9, 2019
    Vista
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    China Cat Sunflower
    I have two lengths of 100' rope, each one attached to a trap. I don't know what depth I'll be hoopin, so I do'nt want to cut them.. Anyways, I place the trap, when I feel it hit, I tie on the bouy. Then I take all the excess rope and wrap it and duck tape it in a big wad. Then it sinks and hangs out right next to the bouy. Man oh man, I once got the prop caught 30 feet from the cliffs JUST outside the breaker's at high tide. Ran to the bow and chucked the anchor, luckily it took. Nothing like getting in that freezing water at 10pm :) Anyways, that hoop had 10 regulation buggies. That was October 25th. Haven't had a day like that since. OF course, I was using bonito from the crazy bonito bite off Point Loma :)

Upvote 0

Grant Kimball

Don’t read this.
    Jun 9, 2019
    Vista
    Name
    Grant
    Boat
    China Cat Sunflower
    @ryanhead With the whole pandemic, there have been record sales of various sporting/hobby items like boats, and stuff. This could explain the drop in bugs. To my understanding they're much more active in warm water, so October the water was hanging around 75. Now, it's closer to 58. Could be sluggish?... Probably go out tonight to take advantage of these warmer evening before the cold comes back.

Upvote 0

Ggiannig8912

May 17, 2011
    El Cajon
    Name
    Gianni
    Boat
    yellow rocket
    @ryanhead With the whole pandemic, there have been record sales of various sporting/hobby items like boats, and stuff. This could explain the drop in bugs. To my understanding they're much more active in warm water, so October the water was hanging around 75. Now, it's closer to 58. Could be sluggish?... Probably go out tonight to take advantage of these warmer evening before the cold comes back.

Maybe they’re more active I don’t know the science but I did better in late December and late January and the water was plenty cold.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Middle to end of the season has always been better in the last five that I have been hooping, good rains dirty water and low pressure from all the knuckle fucks seems to help, By the way...to that guy out there on the whaler between the bait barge and the first oil island with your 8 ounce water bottles with no lights as bouys last night I was the cuddy with two of your hoops on board that I returned after getting your ropes out of my prop, when you approached all nonchalant laughing saying you’d rather lose your hoops than give up your spot I went ahead and marked it, you’re a fucking idiot!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Middle to end of the season has always been better in the last five that I have been hooping, good rains dirty water and low pressure from all the knuckle fucks seems to help, By the way...to that guy out there on the whaler between the bait barge and the first oil island with your 8 ounce water bottles with no lights as bouys last night I was the cuddy with two of your hoops on board that I returned after getting your ropes out of my prop, when you approached all nonchalant laughing saying you’d rather lose your hoops than give up your spot I went ahead and marked it, you’re a fucking idiot!

That’s messed up 😂

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    That’s messed up 😂
    Par for the course in LB and why I stay away from weekends, some peeps have no regard for others and just plain common sense. Second trip last night on a brand new lower unit and when we snagged my heart sunk thinking the worst..... Be safe out there!

Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Par for the course in LB and why I stay away from weekends, some peeps have no regard for others and just plain common sense. Second trip last night on a brand new lower unit and when we snagged my heart sunk thinking the worst..... Be safe out there!
    I hear you. I’ve been hooping for a while and have seen my share of morons. I try to go out on Fridays to avoid crowds.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    You should of pulled the trap 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up and CUT HER LOOSE and then wrap all the line in a bundle and tied it close to the bottle , then send it back over, Don't forget to attach a note (in a Ziploc bag) attached to the bottle and kindly tell him to have a nice day!

Reactions: justinb
    Upvote 0