PENN

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
We hooped LA harbor on 10/4. We baited up the tubes with some squishy old Macs. Three of us got 'em all set up early and had 10 pots in the water by 6:15 or so. Killed a few beers and soaked 'em about an hour. We had a great first pull of 15 legals and a load of shorts and a couple of clickers we tossed back. Woot! It was looking like a maybe a limited-out night then it totally slowed down. Not sure about what shut off, but we scratched up two more legals after moving a few hoops around and another run through the pots. Where did they all go? So we packed it in for the week-night. We did have one really torn up net in the bottom of one hoop, and a sea dawg that was following us around. I think the dawg might have been grazing in some of our hoops and eating our catch. I can't prove it, but that's what I think anyway. The good first pull may have been just a lucky set or the payoff of hitting a good falling tide. It was a fun night out with friends and some great eating. Have fun out there and be safe.

IMG_1162.jpg IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1190.jpg

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
If I'd been waiting 6-1/2 months for a dedicated cafeteria each night I'd be full speed in the beginning also (at dark) . . . then slower after I got my fill of food/your-favorite-bait. I believe on the 4th the tide also played a roll, my opinion of course. Nice job!

Reactions: Cheech
Upvote 0

FJHIII

67.3 WSB
Mar 6, 2007
Name
John
Boat
Sea Doo 210 SP
Once the seals move in the lobster bolt.

Really? Why? Have you seen seals eat lobsters or chase lobsters? I have never seen a lobster bolt due to a seal, so I don't know if they do or don't.

I always assumed lobsters would bolt too. But from what I have seen in water over the past 10 years, I don't think seals eat lobsters or even mess with lobsters. On multi-day trips, I keep my bugs in bag in the water the entire time and the seals have never touched it. When I am freediving at night, I see the seals ignoring the lobsters. The seals usually stay close to me like a puppy dog and I still find plenty of lobsters. Maybe the lobsters are too spiny for the seals?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
With a camera we have seen Lobsters scurry from the net as seals come in to check bait cages and/or tubes for food, easy meal. The Seal is after the bait not the Lobsters, but a biproduct of the Seal tugging on a bait cage or bait tube is the Lobsters FLEE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Agreed. The damage to the hoop net took four zip ties to close up all the holes. Some toothy critter was after the bait in the tube and/or the bugs. After the dawg arrived, the bugs were long gone. Whatcha gonna do? Haul up the pots and move on is about the only option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    I guarantee you that seals eat lobsters. They wait under my boat all the time and when you toss the unders back in, they don’t even say thank you when they go right at it. Then they make a lot of splashing at the surface to help with breaking the shells

Reactions: GOFAST88 and Cheech
    Upvote 0

FJHIII

67.3 WSB
    Mar 6, 2007
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Sea Doo 210 SP
    I guarantee you that seals eat lobsters. They wait under my boat all the time and when you toss the unders back in, they don’t even say thank you when they go right at it. Then they make a lot of splashing at the surface to help with breaking the shells

wow! can you video next time?

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Almost A Member
    Feb 27, 2008
    Dana Pt / Los Barrilles
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    23 diaz Superpanga/20ft Blackman
    Too funny! Ill be waiting for that video but i bet it will never happen.

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Too funny! Ill be waiting for that video but i bet it will never happen.
    Yeah. I’m sure I have to convince some Newbie computer fishing warrior with a must do video.
    I’m sure I’ll loose a lot of sleep because of your sarcasm.
    Nope, no time to shoot video.
    Been busy getting my limits

Last edited:
    Upvote 0