tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Caribiner with 3 zip ties attached to each tube. Slip on caps. Couldn't find the black caps so just went with the white. See how it works out, if needed will paint em later down the road. Will put them to test once this wind dies down, hopefully Thursday
Just a thought on painting the end caps-do you think the scent from the spray paint will be a deterrent to the bugs? Leaving them may be better for piece of mind! I sprayed a bunch of flex-seal on mine, but am worried the strong scent will hurt my chances. I even soaked them in Sardine scent/water to help, but will probably retire them.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Just a thought on painting the end caps-do you think the scent from the spray paint will be a deterrent to the bugs? Leaving them may be better for piece of mind! I sprayed a bunch of flex-seal on mine, but am worried the strong scent will hurt my chances. I even soaked them in Sardine scent/water to help, but will probably retire them.
I painted my Promar tubes, and it didn’t seem to affect the catch at all. They’re sensitive, but not THAT sensitive.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
Not too worried about the paint, likely just leave them as is. Took them for their first test run yesterday and no stolen bait so that's a plus. Unfortunately only got 4 shorts for my efforts.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I think a lot of this seal problem has been caused by people dumping their bait at the end of the night . These seals are smart and have gotten used to being fed . You should always bucket your bait at the end of the night and dump it on the way in away from the waiting furbags .
This X100 ! Do not dump used bait in the water.Use the bucket,drive away towards the ramp or slip and dump it where you don't have a dog waiting for that easy free meal.This reminds of those that use a Mackerel or Bonito to deter a hooked fish from being stolen except you taught that seal how much easier it is to just hang around waiting for the snack instead of working for it.Feed them nothing.

Reactions: RodRage

[email protected]

May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
With sea lions damaging your hoops so aggressively, doesn’t all that action scare the lobster away ? I’m surprised you are able to catch any

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I have all black tubes except 1 white one. Last time out I had a dog hanging out next to the boat the entire night. The only hoop it went after had the white tube in it. I’m just saying maybe they do see the white ones clear as day?

I zip tied it a couple times so we can finish the night, but you can see he did his best to get into it.

Contractor.aten

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
I found that the white bait containers get hammered in comparison to the black.. So I have all black, and the dogs don't bother them...

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Paintball gun is legal . If the one on the basin grabs me again its game over for him ....take me to jail...
The law says you have the right to protect your gear and your person, if it bites you, you can use anything to protect yourself.
This is what I use and it is legal, it is on NOAA's list of things you can use. When you hit them they haul ass and don't come back. Just take a milk carton and practice a little... I hit them almost every time, my friends not so much. If your using paint balls, try freezing them.

1580727778294.png

Reactions: madrugador