Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Oh and fish and game said nothing they can do its federal ... for the record I called them too (federal fish and wildlife).. no return call . I WILL NOT BE BIT AGAIN
Shit man, you got bit!!!? The seals around us were literally running into my boat and lunging at the hoops when we dipped them back in the water to clean off the grass.

Isnt it odd that they will hunt down and kill mountain lions for dangerous interaction with humans but they wont do shit to a seal?Im with madrugador,If one comes on my boat uninvited again it gets a gaff or fishbilly straight to the head.
I think there was a story posted recently citing the reason cities are not doing anything about the seal problem is because tourists like to see them. The cities even recognized how disgusting they are making our docks and marinas but it was worth it to protect them for the tourism money. Ridiculous!

Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
I think if more and more people do this, they might learn to be afraid of us again. Most probably think it’s illegal, but fish and game obviously knows there’s a problem or there wouldn’t be a whole page of items legal for deterrent.
I may be more comfortable doing this offshore or even outside of the bay. Something needs to be done about the overpopulation so they learn we are not their next meal.

Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
I think a lot of this seal problem has been caused by people dumping their bait at the end of the night . These seals are smart and have gotten used to being fed . You should always bucket your bait at the end of the night and dump it on the way in away from the waiting furbags .
We never delt with the seals while hooping so we were baffled to see all of our bait gone in less than an hour. Then they became very angry once we pulled the hoops. We have noticed the amount of seals has increased substantially when fishing lately. Maybe we notice more because there aren't very many of us out there vs the mass of people fishing during the summer.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Shit man, you got bit!!!? The seals around us were literally running into my boat and lunging at the hoops when we dipped them back in the water to clean off the grass.

I think there was a story posted recently citing the reason cities are not doing anything about the seal problem is because tourists like to see them. The cities even recognized how disgusting they are making our docks and marinas but it was worth it to protect them for the tourism money. Ridiculous!
Yuo came up from behind . Never seen him coming.grabbed my bicep and pulled me backwards. Im only in a 13.6 gregor . Scared the shit out of me. Luckily he let go before dragging me out of the boat.

Reactions: Franklin Warner

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
Came in from hooping tonight shot the 2 sea lions in the head With the paint ball gun Harbor police watch me didn't say a word
Have you tried freezing the paintballs?

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
After a ton of trial and error i built my own tubes with screw caps, havnt had a problem in two years, they dive give it a look and leave. Sold a few also....
I made some similar to these... 3" black PVC about 18" long with a carabiner on each end to attach to the net (similar to Dave Hansen's setup) ... have had the dogs try and try but they never get the bait and a lot of chew marks in the tubes but they never get the bait

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
After a ton of trial and error i built my own tubes with screw caps, havnt had a problem in two years, they dive give it a look and leave. Sold a few also....
I'll buy 6 of those right now, please!

tunakillerjoe1

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
I decided to bite the bullet and make some PVC cages that will keep the dogs out. At the top is the old slip on version, with the new bigger screw top version belowBait holders 1.jpgBait holders 2.jpgBait holder 3.jpg. Second is what is needed to make them, (I found Ace hardware actually had what I needed, not Home Depot). Bottom is the finished product X 5. I used drain Grates on the bottoms for more flow/scent. I punched a single hole on the screw lid too, more flow. Screw those dogs!
Bait holders 2.jpg
Bait holder 3.jpg
Bait holders 1.jpg

Reactions: Franklin Warner

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Spent the last couple days making these. If I ever lose one I will just be buying one. Far too much time invested drilling all those damn holes.

IMG1377695253537093217.jpg

tunakillerjoe1

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Nice work, drilling is boaring. Did you use wire to attach them? Slip on or screw on? I stayed away from white, as I saw others post the dogs can see them better in white. I sprayed my white ones black with flex seal, but worry about the residual scent from the spray. I wish I was organized enough to mark the ones with extra holes and see if they produce more!

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Nice work, drilling is boaring. Did you use wire to attach them? Slip on or screw on? I stayed away from white, as I saw others post the dogs can see them better in white. I sprayed my white ones black with flex seal, but worry about the residual scent from the spray. I wish I was organized enough to mark the ones with extra holes and see if they produce more!
Caribiner with 3 zip ties attached to each tube. Slip on caps. Couldn't find the black caps so just went with the white. See how it works out, if needed will paint em later down the road. Will put them to test once this wind dies down, hopefully Thursday

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I decided to bite the bullet and make some PVC cages that will keep the dogs out. At the top is the old slip on version, with the new bigger screw top version belowView attachment 1108813View attachment 1108814View attachment 1108815. Second is what is needed to make them, (I found Ace hardware actually had what I needed, not Home Depot). Bottom is the finished product X 5. I used drain Grates on the bottoms for more flow/scent. I punched a single hole on the screw lid too, more flow. Screw those dogs!
View attachment 1108814View attachment 1108815View attachment 1108813
Those Drain Caps are a Great Idea!

Reactions: ja73 and Blackfish

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I'm sure all the deterrents that would work are illegal. It's nuts they were able to take all bait from 10 hoops in under an hour.
Put a waterproof IED in one of the cages with some bait and when the dog opens it, Their will be surprise waiting for him. that should stop them for a while! 😁 The only good Seal is a Dead Seal. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Reactions: 2454 big mike

RodRage

Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I decided to bite the bullet and make some PVC cages that will keep the dogs out. At the top is the old slip on version, with the new bigger screw top version belowView attachment 1108813View attachment 1108814View attachment 1108815. Second is what is needed to make them, (I found Ace hardware actually had what I needed, not Home Depot). Bottom is the finished product X 5. I used drain Grates on the bottoms for more flow/scent. I punched a single hole on the screw lid too, more flow. Screw those dogs!
View attachment 1108814View attachment 1108815View attachment 1108813
Your furbag issues should be over, Nice work!

tunakillerjoe1

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Caribiner with 3 zip ties attached to each tube. Slip on caps. Couldn't find the black caps so just went with the white. See how it works out, if needed will paint em later down the road. Will put them to test once this wind dies down, hopefully Thursday
Just a thought on painting the end caps-do you think the scent from the spray paint will be a deterrent to the bugs? Leaving them may be better for piece of mind! I sprayed a bunch of flex-seal on mine, but am worried the strong scent will hurt my chances. I even soaked them in Sardine scent/water to help, but will probably retire them.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Just a thought on painting the end caps-do you think the scent from the spray paint will be a deterrent to the bugs? Leaving them may be better for piece of mind! I sprayed a bunch of flex-seal on mine, but am worried the strong scent will hurt my chances. I even soaked them in Sardine scent/water to help, but will probably retire them.
I painted my Promar tubes, and it didn’t seem to affect the catch at all. They’re sensitive, but not THAT sensitive.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Not too worried about the paint, likely just leave them as is. Took them for their first test run yesterday and no stolen bait so that's a plus. Unfortunately only got 4 shorts for my efforts.

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
I think a lot of this seal problem has been caused by people dumping their bait at the end of the night . These seals are smart and have gotten used to being fed . You should always bucket your bait at the end of the night and dump it on the way in away from the waiting furbags .
This X100 ! Do not dump used bait in the water.Use the bucket,drive away towards the ramp or slip and dump it where you don't have a dog waiting for that easy free meal.This reminds of those that use a Mackerel or Bonito to deter a hooked fish from being stolen except you taught that seal how much easier it is to just hang around waiting for the snack instead of working for it.Feed them nothing.

Reactions: RodRage

[email protected]

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
With sea lions damaging your hoops so aggressively, doesn’t all that action scare the lobster away ? I’m surprised you are able to catch any

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I have all black tubes except 1 white one. Last time out I had a dog hanging out next to the boat the entire night. The only hoop it went after had the white tube in it. I’m just saying maybe they do see the white ones clear as day?

I zip tied it a couple times so we can finish the night, but you can see he did his best to get into it.

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
I found that the white bait containers get hammered in comparison to the black.. So I have all black, and the dogs don't bother them...

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Paintball gun is legal . If the one on the basin grabs me again its game over for him ....take me to jail...
The law says you have the right to protect your gear and your person, if it bites you, you can use anything to protect yourself.
This is what I use and it is legal, it is on NOAA's list of things you can use. When you hit them they haul ass and don't come back. Just take a milk carton and practice a little... I hit them almost every time, my friends not so much. If your using paint balls, try freezing them.

1580727778294.png

Reactions: madrugador