Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Sorry, it's a bit of a late post and I wasn't going to post because I was/am so pissed.

I've been taking my buddies out hooping all season with great success every time until Tuesday night. We met at the dock at 1600 and finished dropping our 10 hoops by 1700. Tried fishing for macs but the current, porpoises, and seals were out of control. We gave up on the sabikis and started to pull hoops by 1800. First hoop, (PVC tube from Promar) was opened and no bait. Maybe we messed up and didn't close it all the way (never happened before but maybe)?? Hoop #2, no bait, #3, no bait, #4, 2 shorts and no bait, #5, no bait and another short............. 10 NO BAIT. Nope, we didn't mess up haha the seals have figured out how to open the PVC tubes.

We had 8 PVC tubes and 2 cages. All PVC tubes were opened and all bait was gone (50 cut macks)! The two cages were zip-tied and the ties were cut and nearly all bait was gone. If you go out hooping, do yourself a favor and drill a couple of holes in the top of the PVC lid and use baling wire to secure. Zip ties do not work anymore.

Upvote 0

Rod69

Jul 4, 2016
San diego
Name
Roddey Blunt
Boat
Parker 23 DVCC
Sorry, it's a bit of a late post and I wasn't going to post because I was/am so pissed.

I've been taking my buddies out hooping all season with great success every time until Tuesday night. We met at the dock at 1600 and finished dropping our 10 hoops by 1700. Tried fishing for macs but the current, porpoises, and seals were out of control. We gave up on the sabikis and started to pull hoops by 1800. First hoop, (PVC tube from Promar) was opened and no bait. Maybe we messed up and didn't close it all the way (never happened before but maybe)?? Hoop #2, no bait, #3, no bait, #4, 2 shorts and no bait, #5, no bait and another short............. 10 NO BAIT. Nope, we didn't mess up haha the seals have figured out how to open the PVC tubes.

We had 8 PVC tubes and 2 cages. All PVC tubes were opened and all bait was gone (50 cut macks)! The two cages were zip-tied and the ties were cut and nearly all bait was gone. If you go out hooping, do yourself a favor and drill a couple of holes in the top of the PVC lid and use baling wire to secure. Zip ties do not work anymore.
They made it so unpleasant last time I went I may not go again

Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Dogs harassed us all night last night in Long Beach and tore up our bait cages as well.
We were lucky that nothing was damaged. Very surprised actually. We could barely see teeth marks on the PVC.

They made it so unpleasant last time I went I may not go again
We may do one more trip in late Feb but will take additional precautions. It's crazy we have never had a problem the entire season and now we lost 50 macks in under an hour.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Dang! Good intel- bad dogs-go home! Crazy they figured this out! I am pissed, and it did not happen to me! I wonder what deterent could be used..

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I feel your Pain Franklin we had the same problem along the MB Jetty last month where we had 5 hoops with the Promar Cages get opened and robbed by seals after pulling 2 legals and several shorts from them the set before. Each hoop was empty although one of the hoops had a small cage heavily zip tied with a salmon head inside and it was damaged but still intact. We used the rest of our bait to repack the tubes and didn't get bothered again that night. We have tried Seal Bombs and BB Guns to some success but I think I finally found the ultimate deterrant:

BAIT CAGE SPIKES SMALL.jpg

We cut a short length of Stainless Pigeon Spikes and zip tied them to half of our bait cages right above the cage door and it seems the seals have learned the hard way and solved most of our problems; we would have installed them on all the cages however I ran out of spikes and I have to get enough to finish the other cages up. The other 4 or so cages that didn't have spikes were not bothered either. I'm not sure if the seals can see the spikes at night or not. You just have to be careful removing the bugs from your hoops and find a somewhat calm spot to bait them up to avoid the spikes and I believe its worth the effort. As long as we're talking about seals, has anyone actually seen a seal eat the shorts after you drop them back into the water? With all the spurs on the head and tail of of lobster I can't imagine a seal's mouth could be that tough.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    After a ton of trial and error i built my own tubes with screw caps, havnt had a problem in two years, they dive give it a look and leave. Sold a few also....

Attachments

• 83CD4F6A-5F48-43C3-A341-073DC9FEB510.jpeg
      83CD4F6A-5F48-43C3-A341-073DC9FEB510.jpeg
      848.6 KB · Views: 161
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Name
    Franklin Warner
    Boat
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    Paintball gun ...

I want them to go away but also don't want to go to jail. The seals were pissed when we took the hoops out of the water and swam into the side of my boat!

I feel your Pain Franklin we had the same problem along the MB Jetty last month where we had 5 hoops with the Promar Cages get opened and robbed by seals after pulling 2 legals and several shorts from them the set before. Each hoop was empty although one of the hoops had a small cage heavily zip tied with a salmon head inside and it was damaged but still intact. We used the rest of our bait to repack the tubes and didn't get bothered again that night. We have tried Seal Bombs and BB Guns to some success but I think I finally found the ultimate deterrant:

View attachment 1107519

We cut a short length of Stainless Pigeon Spikes and zip tied them to half of our bait cages right above the cage door and it seems the seals have learned the hard way and solved most of our problems; we would have installed them on all the cages however I ran out of spikes and I have to get enough to finish the other cages up. The other 4 or so cages that didn't have spikes were not bothered either. I'm not sure if the seals can see the spikes at night or not. You just have to be careful removing the bugs from your hoops and find a somewhat calm spot to bait them up to avoid the spikes and I believe its worth the effort. As long as we're talking about seals, has anyone actually seen a seal eat the shorts after you drop them back into the water? With all the spurs on the head and tail of of lobster I can't imagine a seal's mouth could be that tough.

I passed this picture along to my buddy who has the cages. I have all PVC tubes.

Prepacked/ loaded chum tubes. No lids, Punch as big and as many holes needed, run a zip tie through the can, and fasten it the net. About $2.00 per "bait can"
    View attachment 1107539

Great idea! Where are you picking these up at?

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    We also use tubes in our hoops and to save you some money Danielson makes a nifty screened barrel with a screw off lid, a stainless steel swivel to clip the baitbarrel into the hoop netting or lower ring, and we drilled random 1/2" diamer holes in the screen so the bugs can actually get to the meat. They cost around $7-8 through Amazon and I buy them 6 at a time to defray the $10 shipping cost. They seem to work really well and so far only one has apparently been bitten as it is not perfectly round anymore, but it was never compromised. Those custom ABS tubes are nice but by the time you price out the pipe and fittings required from Home Depot you'll be into them for at least $15-25 each and the time to make them. These barrels are compact and easy to use and most of all fast and easy to bait up in or outside the hoop.
    DANIELSON BAIT CAGES.jpg

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Oh and fish and game said nothing they can do its federal ... for the record I called them too (federal fish and wildlife).. no return call . I WILL NOT BE BIT AGAIN

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Isnt it odd that they will hunt down and kill mountain lions for dangerous interaction with humans but they wont do shit to a seal?Im with madrugador,If one comes on my boat uninvited again it gets a gaff or fishbilly straight to the head.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    I think a lot of this seal problem has been caused by people dumping their bait at the end of the night . These seals are smart and have gotten used to being fed . You should always bucket your bait at the end of the night and dump it on the way in away from the waiting furbags .

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Just made a ‘bomb’ as I call it... I think it’ll work... had some spare line laying around and a couple carabiners, drilled 4 small holes (2 on either end) slid the line through it, and connected the carabiners. Pop the ‘biners apart and you can open the lid. It won’t let me post pics, but it’s just a Promar tube. Where’s the whine about the new forum bugs thread!?

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Bug rider at it again

Attachments

• 15798351630685998416678414614173.jpg