hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Left 5 am Friday morning to look for YF offshore and then to Cat for some Hooping with a 2 day F&G permit. Was just 2 of us and it was too easy. As for the YF we managed 1 off the porpoise on Light line that came unbuttoned don't know why. After that got going too Island Friday weather was like a lake.

Found some new structure in about 80-140 that looked good so at 6:00 pm we made our 1st set of 10 nets. We pulled at 7:30 and by 4th net we had limits for 2 at 14 nice bugs, pulled the other 6 sets and dumped about 30 more big legal

We anchored up pulled out the BBQ grill and had some dinner and talked to some friends that were out and got up at 12:30 am Saturday and put out the set again same area. Began pulling at 1:30 am . We had limits by

3 rd net because 1st net had 8 legals already same story had to dump a lot of legals. We did lose 1 net that sank out was an Ambush blue regular size net with LED light on regular buoy sank out it was our fault wrong size rope we tried to get it with a jig but was too far down in 190ft to reach.

Also the New 36 inch nets work good even get more bugs per net

Anyway went to mooring got 5 hours sleep packed the gear sweet ride home got to watch air show as well enjoy a few pics

bug 6.JPG bug 1.JPG bug 3.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KPN

Almost A Member
Jul 29, 2014
Name
Khanh
Boat
None
May I ask where did you get a two days permit? A link should be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Nice bug haul!

2 day permits are obtained by visiting your local DFG office.

Reactions: KPN
Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Online get the Form from F&G or go to office in Los Alamitos, just be sure you wait till after Midnight to get your second set of bugs. And don't come back to the dock before time stated on paperwork

Reactions: Blackfish and KPN
Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
May I ask where did you get a two days permit? A link should be really appreciated.

Thanks.
F&G Website or walk in you need CF numbers and Captains name as well and pay them the 5 and change they want. Where you are leaving from Port and where hooping and where returning to.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice job!

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
Nice catch! I did a 2 day myself this past weekend with great results.

I was told at the DFW office that they are now enforcing the 48 hour rule, meaning you need to file your 2 day permit at LEAST 48 hours before you are set to leave.

I always thought that was for fax but they almost didn't give it to me

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    And you better pay damn good attention to the 12 hour rule departing and coming home. No docking either..

Upvote 0

pescadorable

Jun 27, 2009
    Orange
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    Left 5 am Friday morning to look for YF offshore and then to Cat for some Hooping with a 2 day F&G permit. Was just 2 of us and it was too easy. As for the YF we managed 1 off the porpoise on Light line that came unbuttoned don't know why. After that got going too Island Friday weather was like a lake.

Found some new structure in about 80-140 that looked good so at 6:00 pm we made our 1st set of 10 nets. We pulled at 7:30 and by 4th net we had limits for 2 at 14 nice bugs, pulled the other 6 sets and dumped about 30 more big legal

We anchored up pulled out the BBQ grill and had some dinner and talked to some friends that were out and got up at 12:30 am Saturday and put out the set again same area. Began pulling at 1:30 am . We had limits by

3 rd net because 1st net had 8 legals already same story had to dump a lot of legals. We did lose 1 net that sank out was an Ambush blue regular size net with LED light on regular buoy sank out it was our fault wrong size rope we tried to get it with a jig but was too far down in 190ft to reach.

Also the New 36 inch nets work good even get more bugs per net

Anyway went to mooring got 5 hours sleep packed the gear sweet ride home got to watch air show as well enjoy a few pics

View attachment 798893 View attachment 798894 View attachment 798896
    Good job foolio

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    And you better pay damn good attention to the 12 hour rule departing and coming home. No docking either..

I just noticed your avatar Tim, love to hear THAT story sometime, just sick! :lux::appl::lux::appl:

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    Nice catch! I did a 2 day myself this past weekend with great results.

I was told at the DFW office that they are now enforcing the 48 hour rule, meaning you need to file your 2 day permit at LEAST 48 hours before you are set to leave.

I always thought that was for fax but they almost didn't give it to me
    I only counted 27 bugs. You let one to many go or it was digested the night before.
    Gave 1 to a friend fishing in the Harbor his Kid wanted it

Upvote 0