sea4reel

water taxi
Sep 2, 2009
Fountain Valley
Name
Tim Jarrett
Boat
25' Custom Surfhunter
Headed out of HH around 330. Went to Nacho for a bucket of bait and headed off to go soak some nets.
Pulled our first set at 6 for 1 legal and 1 short. Next set produced 3 shorts to 0 legals. Third set we came up with 3 legals and 2 shorts. On the Fourth and final set had 1 legal and 0 shorts. Back on the trailer by 940 with 5 bugs in the tank.
All of our lobster were caught in 40 to 45 feet.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    By this seasons standards you did well, Nice work skipper!

Upvote 0

sea4reel

water taxi
    Sep 2, 2009
    Fountain Valley
    Name
    Tim Jarrett
    Boat
    25' Custom Surfhunter
    I get one scoop of bait which gets me about 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket of cut bait. So I believe $45. There are a few factors that come into play though. First off is the container you have him put your bait in. I use a 18 gal storage container to receive the bait. That way he doesn't have to be as accurate and I get all of the bait I'm paying for. If you use a 5 gal bucket you stand to get less bait in the bucket per pass. The second factor that comes into play is what kind of mood Nacho in. Hope that answers you question.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Our Bait Containers are relatively small and we can get by with a half scoop each trip which is usually 1/3 to 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket for $35 plus a $5 tip. If we bought a Full Scoop we would usually have enough to get another trip out of the leftover bait if we bagged it and froze it immediately upon returning home but that became a hassle and my freezer is pretty full anyway. If you let the sardines get warm and stinky before freezing I don't think the bugs like them as much; we had a trip with old stinky bait and few bugs and halfway through we re-baited withe fresh dead and scored double limits after that. There was a time when we were only getting 1/4-1/3 of a bucket which didn't cut it so stopped the $5 tip and it only took 2-3 trips to get that issue corrected.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I get one scoop of bait which gets me about 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket of cut bait. So I believe $45. There are a few factors that come into play though. First off is the container you have him put your bait in. I use a 18 gal storage container to receive the bait. That way he doesn't have to be as accurate and I get all of the bait I'm paying for.
    got it, I buy bait from nacho all the time, just wondering if he would sell you dead bait or a single pass for hooping. I haven’t gone to the bait barge specifically for lobster bait
    I’ve known Nacho over thirty years and asked several times for fresh dead he nor Mario will NOT give it up but I’m sure they have a lot of die of they sell to bait shops, you can get a $20 scoop from him but if he’s in a mood it won’t be much and you better have a five dollar tip or next time it will be hella less.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sea4reel
    Upvote 0