antdog562

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 25, 2013
norwalk
Name
Anthony
Boat
22' bayrunner
hooped long beach about 6 hours for one legal bug, one spider and one red crab. tried different spots from 40 to 60 feet, used macks and salmon heads. got one sculpin on a plastic while waiting. still new at hooping, trying to put more than one in the basket.

20141026_134541.jpg

Reactions: Nic D

YellowFever858

Got Color?
Sep 8, 2008
San Diego/LA
Name
The Birdnest Whisperer
Boat
soon...
way to get out there and giving it a shot! im pretty new to the whole hoopin business, but the best advice i can offer is watch where the other guys are droppin their nets and it will give you an idea of where to set your hoops next time you're out there!

2strokepoke

nimrod
Sep 14, 2010
orange, ca usa
Name
danny
Boat
dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
I've been out twice so far this season, it's slow, only had 2 keepers each time. Even after talking with the guys that work the wall all night, they're not doing much better. Good luck to ya

Nic D

Living life in Baja
Oct 10, 2008
Los Barriles, Baja California Sur
www.losbarrilessportfishing.com
Name
Nic
Boat
2018 26' Pelagic Hybrid Super Panga in the East Cape
Ed, thats not exactly good advice. You could be watching other newbies set on a desert.

And I agree with El Pescador, and IPA or a good IPL will get you there.... Look you have to think like a fish to catch fish. Think like a bug and you will catch the bugs. Structure, bait, decent water movement, you'll be getting them in no time.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Don't leave them in water in your ice chest that will kill them.Keep them cool and moist they will live for a couple days.I use a frozen 1/2 gal water bottle to keep them cool and a wet gunny sack to keep them moist.I keep them alive for up to 3 days this way.Fresh water will kill them so will salt water if theres no aeration.

antdog562

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 25, 2013
norwalk
Name
Anthony
Boat
22' bayrunner
Do leave them in water in your ice chest that will kill them.Keep them cool and moism cool and a wet gunny sack to keep them moist.I keep them alive for up to 3 days this way.Fresh water will kill them so will sal
water if theres no aeration.
thanks for the good info. i'll try that