PENN

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Headed out for a very quick trip and hooped last night. water was beautiful with a slight drizzle. Hooped in 28 ft of water last night and it was really slow for me, 5 shorts and 3 keeper between 5pm and 9:30. it was a slow night with no current!!! none!! not much wind 3 mph maybe. It was a slow night for me until around 9pm and then we got 2 keepers in two pulls. After the two keepers i felt like the crawl might start. That was until a guy who was hooping a little ways down from me must have decided to check out how i was doing, so he boats on by me and then decides to take off and leave. Well my Drive by friend must have been the damn Pied Piper of Sea lions, He drives away and not 15 seconds after he leaves here comes a whole flotilla of sea liones 6 to be exact. These things were like humming birds flying around a bird feeder, just relentless mother F*@kers, at one point trying to take nets out of our hands before we even get them into the water. they were a well oiled machine. Each Sea lion seemed to pick a hoop net to guard and a couple guarded more than one hoop. and within about two minutes of watching them inspect our hoops we see a few of them come to the surface throwing lobster around....Well they seemed to want to stay with us for the duration. so after about 45 minutes of the Sea line madness and the rain starting to fall harder we decided to pull the plug and head for home...

final non-impressive count was:
5 shorts and 3 keeps.

Oh well time on the water is well worth it.....

Chris

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Headed out for a very quick trip and hooped last night. water was beautiful with a slight drizzle. Hooped in 28 ft of water last night and it was really slow for me, 5 shorts and 3 keeper between 5pm and 9:30. it was a slow night with no current!!! none!! not much wind 3 mph maybe. It was a slow night for me until around 9pm and then we got 2 keepers in two pulls. After the two keepers i felt like the crawl might start. That was until a guy who was hooping a little ways down from me must have decided to check out how i was doing, so he boats on by me and then decides to take off and leave. Well my Drive by friend must have been the damn Pied Piper of Sea lions, He drives away and not 15 seconds after he leaves here comes a whole flotilla of sea liones 6 to be exact. These things were like humming birds flying around a bird feeder, just relentless mother F*@kers, at one point trying to take nets out of our hands before we even get them into the water. they were a well oiled machine. Each Sea lion seemed to pick a hoop net to guard and a couple guarded more than one hoop. and within about two minutes of watching them inspect our hoops we see a few of them come to the surface throwing lobster around....Well they seemed to want to stay with us for the duration. so after about 45 minutes of the Sea line madness and the rain starting to fall harder we decided to pull the plug and head for home...
final non-impressive count was:
5 shorts and 3 keeps.
Oh well time on the water is well worth it..... Chris
Nothing wrong with 3 legals Chris, nothing, do not be so hard on yourself.
Have an idea where you were, will call you after work today. Great job!

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Nothing wrong with 3 legals Chris, nothing, do not be so hard on yourself.
Have an idea where you were, will call you after work today. Great job!

i was almost going to call you from the water,but i didnt want to bother you so much. looking forward to talking later today...

Upvote 0

vincentek9

halibut suck
Apr 9, 2010
anaheim, CA
Name
Vince
Boat
AVparker
i didnt know sea lions ate bugs. i know for a fact we've had bugs in our nets when those dogs came and looted, but they only seemed to grab the bait cages. 3 legals and 5 shorts is 8 bugs more than we've had on some trips this season (and we've hooped from 5pm to 5am). i'd say 3 legals is not too shabby for 4.5 hours of work. thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
i was almost going to call you from the water,but i didnt want to bother you so much. looking forward to talking later today...
Last night you could have called me, and damned if I didn't leave my cell phone at home today. GRRRRR! Never call between midnight and 5AM, as this is when I get my best work done, and never call me on a full moon. It's been hectic for me which is why we haven't taken Logan yet, and had to get my Son out too, we'll get it done.

Upvote 0

farhangs

Aug 29, 2005
Aliso Viejo, CA
Name
bent deck-hose
Boat
Fresh One
I see the sport boats at Catalina do that during the season. They drive by with sea lions in hot pursuit, dump them off on another lunch wagon, and return back to the spot. That first boat that 'checked to see what you were doing' dumped its trash on you. Classic move.

Reactions: plj46 and sea4reel
Upvote 0