Hoop netting Long Beach harbor 11-4-16

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by geramiecg, Nov 5, 2016.

1. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    My 16 year son Jarred and I went hoop netting last night for the first time this season. We hooped in 35 to 40 feet of water with salmon heads and mackerel. Threw back 12 shorts and kept 1 legal. Also took home 3 rock crab. We fished with rod and reel in between sets and caught a mix of 30 short and legal calico and sand bass using chartreuse colored Berkley Gulp 4" swimming minnows on a leadhead. We threw back all fish except for two sand bass for tacos. As always, the sea lions were out in force and were a nuisance.

The fog rolled in very thick and we heard a couple vessels call the Coast Guard on the radio because they were lost in the harbor and couldn't see. We decided to head back from Long Beach harbor to Sunset Aquatic marina around 2330 hours in our 18ft Searay. We don't have radar on our small boat so my son and I navigated through the fog with our cheap but trusty portable Magellan SporTrak Pro GPS, along with the depth sounder on our also cheap but trusty Hummingbird fish finder that kept us from running aground somewhere. We hobbled the entire way at walking speed with the help of my son as being secondary eyes and ears. I figured if I was able to do this in the high seas in my previous 11 year career in the U.S. Coast Guard with the rest of my crew, Long beach harbor for me and my son would be no problem. It took us 3 hours to reach the dock in Huntington Harbor and we made it there at 0230 hours.

We'll be having a nice seafood dinner tonight! Thanks for reading, good luck out there, and stay safe!!

Lobster.jpg

Alan, 2strokepoke, GOFAST88 and 4 others like this.
  2. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Sounds like you and your son had a good time. I hooped the LBC a couple of times and couldnt net a bug to save our lives. Mostly on the inside of the breakwall because the swell was big. Glad you guys got back safe. Enjoy the seafood sampler!!

geramiecg likes this.
  3. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    I hate fog

geramiecg likes this.
  4. WaterDawg

WaterDawg Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    17' Whaler
    Fog sucks and Sunset Aquatic is particularly bad because it seems like the big wetland there attracts or grows it's own fog. Glad you made it safely.

geramiecg likes this.
  5. mark johnsen

mark johnsen Ichthus

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Blue J
    Congrats on the Bug, crabs and Bass! Glad you made it in ok! Great adventure.

geramiecg likes this.
  6. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    It's called Radiation Fog. Common in the Central Valley, dangerous as heck on the roads.

geramiecg likes this.
  7. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    My son had a blast. He also told me he thought it was an adventure and a challenge. He also thanked me for showing him how to navigate with the GPS and depth sounder in the fog. It was a little harrowing once we got to the vicinity of the entrance of Huntington Harbor. We couldn't see 5 feet in front of us and couldn't even see the red and green navigational lights. Our depth sounder kept us from getting too close to the break wall. This experience allowed me to teach my son something new, it further taught my son about teamwork, and allowed me to enjoy spending time with my son.

jaw1970 likes this.
  8. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Yep notorious for fog. In 1999 one nite before Christmas it had been clear. The fog came from nowhere. A Saturday nite. Tons of parade boats. Several collisions sunk vessels pon pon on channel16. Was craziest !!! Just goes to show old Mother Nature can strike!!!! Be careful.

geramiecg likes this.
  9. loguespub

loguespub Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    1971 16ft Starcarft
    Great life experience with his dad that he will never forget> Great attitude!

geramiecg likes this.
  10. 2strokepoke

2strokepoke nimrod

Name:
    danny
    Boat:
    dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
    good job, that fog rolls in way too fast. its scary. i always trusted my electronics, just had a hard time trusting everyone else out there.

geramiecg likes this.
  11. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    Yes sir, that's why we hobbled in at idle speed. I was proud that my son was able to tough it out and pay attention to our surroundings the whole way in. 3 hours concentrating on the task could be tedious for a kid that barely turned 16 five weeks ago.

12. pescadorable

pescadorable Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    I seen you guys out there Friday night glad you made back ok I was on the Cabo aka Fish Taco .

geramiecg likes this.
  13. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    Saw you guys too. Glad you guys made it in safely also. Did you guys have any luck?

14. pescadorable

pescadorable Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    We managed to get a few before we had to head to the barn current was just getting good too.

geramiecg likes this.
  15. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    Yes it was just getting good. We got our legal and threw back 5 shorts on our last string.

16. FloMar

FloMar Hired Gun!

Name:
    John Collar
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    OUCH!
    Glad you and your son made it in safely!

Must have been a painful, anxiety-filled, stressful, draining 3 hour tour.

geramiecg likes this.
  17. geramiecg

geramiecg Newbie

Name:
    Geramie
    Boat:
    18ft SeaRay
    Thanks.... and yes it was. We were so drained after that. We fell asleep after getting home and cleaning up a little and didn't wake up until 1800 hours the next day.

FloMar likes this.
  18. FloMar

FloMar Hired Gun!

Name:
    John Collar
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Big waves, no problem, know the limitations for yourself and your boat.

Wind, unless it's down right SNOTTY, know the limitations for yourself and your boat.

Cold weather, no problem, dress warm.

Cold weather and rain, keep your Grundens on all-day, and ears covered!

FOG, hate it, 'bout ready to go-off on Mother Nature again, will refrain though as she can be down right . . . .

FOG without radar, pack your lunch your going to be there awhile.

My last report I made a run for it and the FOG nailed me 1/4-mile from the harbor, turned on the radar only to have it fail, got turned around just like that. Had not used it in 5 years, guess it needed a kick in the hardware. Radar was reinitialized and I have that ready to go for next time. There's always another day/night for fishing. When I see the word dense or it says visibility 1/4-mile or less FOOEY I'm not going.

geramiecg likes this.