CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
OK! tuna trip 12 day, which hooks? type? size? don't get crazy with #'s every time I look them up by # it says it's "discontinued" and as you know hooks are friggin expensive! so how many? 5/0-6/0- 7/0? 250 of each?

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
250 of each is way to many. I would say 25-30 of each size is plenty. If not, the boat always has them for sale at really good prices. I would even have some 9/0 in my bag, as well as 4/0. It will not all be BIG FISH fishing. As far as type of hooks, they are just like cars--Buy the one you prefer and like the best. Once again, you may want to purchase them on the boat---They know what to use.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Try these in 6/0 for sardines... $8.50 per 25. 4/0 size for 100# fish and 50# test

VMC 7262BN from Cabela's. One or two packs of each should be enough.

Big bait, Mustad DT7691 10/0 or DT 7699. Do not buy the stainless... They can be had on the boat you are on. If sharks are thick these will go by by quick....

Upvote 0

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    n/a
    I remember a thread you mentioned your going to clarion, and possibly HB. You will need some 4x hooks, 5/0, thru 9/0, (J) and/or circle, a dozen of each should be enough. Several large hooks like mustad 10/0, 12/0, (7691) for large baits, chunks (ect)...Paul

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    OK! tuna trip 12 day, which hooks? type? size? don't get crazy with #'s every time I look them up by # it says it's "discontinued" and as you know hooks are friggin expensive! so how many? 5/0-6/0- 7/0? 250 of each?

Below is what I recommend if you want to be absolutely prepared. Depends if you prefer J or circle or a combination of both. Hooks are a personal preference, but the sizes listed will get the job done.

J-hooks
    5/0 - 15/Mustad Hoodlum R10827NP-BN
    6/0 - 15/Mustad Hoodlum R10827NP-BN
    10/0 - 10/Mustad Forged Duratin 7691-DT
    12/0 - 10/Mustad Forged Duratin 7691-DT

Circle-hooks
    6/0 - 12/Mustad ringed offset circle hook R39943NP-BN (4X strong)
    7/0 - 12/Mustad ringed offset circle hook R39943NP-BN (4X strong)
    8/0 - 12/Mustad ringed offset circle hook R39942NP-BN (3X strong)
    9/0 - 10/Mustad ringed offset circle hook R39942NP-BN (3X strong)
    20/0 - 2/Mustad Duratin 39960D - just in case there are flying fish available

I know this looks like too many, but it will give you flexibility depending on conditions. All of them are still less than 100 hooks...I usually have 400+ hooks with me!

Good luck on your 12 day!!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jeff, a sensible list for sure. You could substitute Owner Gorillas for the Hoodlums and Owner Super Mutus for the Demon Circles. When fishing the Salami with the big hooks, it can get spendy with those 7691 hooks if it's sharky. There are some hooks available for less. Check these out, from Ringed Hooks, about $1.00 each instead of the $2.50 price tag on the 9/0 7691. I used these successfuly fising flyers on the kite for fish of 208 and 239. Wish they came in larger sizes.

"This is a Penn International P195 “BIG GAME” Hook manufactured by Eagle Claw. This BIG GAME hook has a PLATINUM BLACK finish (3X Rust Resistant), Needle Tip, Heavy Forged, Welded Eye, Knife Edge, Zero Offset and 4X Strong. The Hook sizes are from #7/0 - #9/0"

Attachments

• penn195-300.jpg
      penn195-300.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 495
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    One option for fish in the range of 130Lbs plus is the Owner Super Mutu for Dines, Mack, Cab type baits fishing from the spool.

Match the size to the bait and stealth needed.

Long live Super Mutu :evilimu:

Upvote 0

Garibaldi

Nov 18, 2011
    Orange County
    Name
    G
    Boat
    50' Modutech: Reel Estate
    Sensible list and sizes, but I would sub VMC "Dynamic" or "Tuna Tamer" J hooks for Gorilla's or Hoodlooms (both VMC models are made of Vanadium steel which is 25% stronger than carbon steel, they have a shorter shank than the Hoodlum for a cleaner profile, and they have a needle cone reverse point that does not cut through flesh and jaw like the "cutting point" that the Gorilla has). Ringedhooks.com has the VMC hooks.

For heavy duty circle hooks I would replace Super Mutus with Quick Rig "Charlie Brown" hooks: 5/0 ringed Super Mutu = $2.20 - 5/0 ringed Charlie Brown = $1.20 (same high quality and as strong or stronger). These hooks are available at Charkbait.com

For a lighter circle hook I like the Mustad Demon mentioned above in 4X for 100lb+ line (a little harder to bait but a better design and stronger than the Eagle Claw circle hooks IMO.

Somewhere there is a tutorial on baiting circle hooks, I think one was done by David Choate showing how to come in at less than a 45 degree angle... hard to explain verbally, hopefully someone will post it (can always get a deckhand or an experienced LR angler to show you how to best bait a circle hook in the various posistions).

Tight lines!

Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Total Ho
    The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realize how woefully unprepared I am. Thank God I remember from time to time it's only fishing. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

garrironman

Feb 23, 2010
    sherman oaks calif. u.s.a.
    Name
    rick garratt
    Boat
    no
    been longrangeing for 40 yrs, have lots and lots of gear. going on 13 day trip and still going to spend 500 bucks on gear.put baking soda in packs to prevent rust. going on 10 yrs with no rust. i keep mine in flim containers. will not get cheaper, buy now

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    25 of each is plenty......get ringed hooks.....if you need more you can buy from the boat

Upvote 0

Garibaldi

Nov 18, 2011
    Orange County
    Name
    G
    Boat
    The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realize how woefully unprepared I am. Thank God I remember from time to time it's only fishing. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... you can make LR fishing real complicated if you want too!

Some would say it is a good thing to have multiple options... while others might feel that too many options just makes things confusing. Technology breeds new and better technology so harness new developement as you see fit. Fishing is certainly not rocket science, but with the overall cost of a 10-15 day LR trip these days and free time being so valuable in today's fast paced world some anglers desire to have as much of the latest and greatest gear and terminal tackle along as they can comfortably tote in order to maximize their total dollars invested and their time spent on the water. And when dealing with avid fisherman who are spending thousands of dollars to partake... braggin rights will most likely have something to do with one's quest for obtaining any advantage they can get over their targeted prey.
    icon7.gif

Tight lines!

Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
    Laurel, MD
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Total Ho
    Oh yeah... you can make LR fishing real complicated if you want too!

Some would say it is a good thing to have multiple options... while others might feel that too many options just makes things confusing. Technology breeds new and better technology so harness new developement as you see fit. Fishing is certainly not rocket science, but with the overall cost of a 10-15 day LR trip these days and free time being so valuable in today's fast paced world some anglers desire to have as much of the latest and greatest gear and terminal tackle along as they can comfortably tote in order to maximize their total dollars invested and their time spent on the water. And when dealing with avid fisherman who are spending thousands of dollars to partake... braggin rights will most likely have something to do with one's quest for obtaining any advantage they can get over their targeted prey.
    icon7.gif

Tight lines!

Totally realize there are a ton of options to take advantage of. I was very serious when I said I realize how unprepared I am. Didn't mean to imply with my "it's just fishing" that others are complicating matters.

At the same time, I've come to the conclusion with any hobby men have, we can go WAY overboard and I've fallen into that pitfall many times myself, often losing site of what drew me to the whole thing in the first place. Bottom line is it's certainly nice to have options and I'm sure all involved in the industry appreciate seeing a noob like me show up on the scene wondering what he needs to join in the fun!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    What you need is to have a buddy who has lots of gear who will loan you outfits to try.....then after a trip or two you will have a much better idea of what gear suits your style of fishing......how hard you pull rail or harness circle hooks vs j hooks.....don't buy...... borrow if possible.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I suggest bringing some of your own hooks instead of bumming all your hooks you will need for a entire 12 day..

5/0-8/0

Rod and reel combos are always nice to test before buying but hooks bring some.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
    Feb 5, 2011
    Opelika Al USA
    Name
    quinn
    Boat
    exel last, next?
    What you need is to have a buddy who has lots of gear who will loan you outfits to try.....then after a trip or two you will have a much better idea of what gear suits your style of fishing......how hard you pull rail or harness circle hooks vs j hooks.....don't buy...... borrow if possible.
    but after a while, you don't have any fishing buddies left to borrow from

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    but after a while, you don't have any fishing buddies left to borrow from

You missed the part of just borrowing for " a trip or two" not forever....just had a newbie go with us for his very first fishing trip on the Pacific ocean....it was a 14 day big fish trip.......a couple of us loaned him everything so he could try stuff out, he tried a harness, he tried circle hooks and J hooks of different brands, tried different reels and rods....he learned what worked for him and what didn't.......he now knows what to buy for himself......

P.S. his very first fish he caught in the Pacific was a 190# YFT....

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    You missed the part of just borrowing for " a trip or two" not forever....just had a newbie go with us for his very first fishing trip on the Pacific ocean....it was a 14 day big fish trip.......a couple of us loaned him everything so he could try stuff out, he tried a harness, he tried circle hooks and J hooks of different brands, tried different reels and rods....he learned what worked for him and what didn't.......he now knows what to buy for himself......

Very cool of you to hook that guy up. Hopefully he appreciates the loan of the equipment, tutoring and uncommon nature of doing so well with big fish on a first trip!

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    American Angler
    Try these in 6/0 for sardines... $8.50 per 25. 4/0 size for 100# fish and 50# test

VMC 7262BN from Cabela's. One or two packs of each should be enough.

Big bait, Mustad DT7691 10/0 or DT 7699. Do not buy the stainless... They can be had on the boat you are on. If sharks are thick these will go by by quick....

I never understood my Cabelas won't carry the 5/0 Tuna Tamers. Anglers Choice and Dana Landing Tackle carry VMC hooks including the 25 packs of Tuna Tamers in 4/0 - 6/0.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I never understood my Cabelas won't carry the 5/0 Tuna Tamers. Anglers Choice and Dana Landing Tackle carry VMC hooks including the 25 packs of Tuna Tamers in 4/0 - 6/0.

They used to. When VMC was sold to Rapala this hook was hard to find and Cabela's ran out of most of them. I had to find them somwhere else. The VMC 7360 Dynamic hook is better but more expensive...

Upvote 0

Garibaldi

Nov 18, 2011
    Orange County
    Name
    G
    Boat
    They used to. When VMC was sold to Rapala this hook was hard to find and Cabela's ran out of most of them. I had to find them somwhere else. The VMC 7360 Dynamic hook is better but more expensive...

I just got my copy of the VMC catalog for 2012 and much to my disliking the "Dynamic" series is not included in it... have put a call into my sources to find out if VMC has discontinued making this hook as it is the best J style small profile, live bait hook made for large tuna fishing IMO. I used to get the Dynamics from SoCalFishingTackle.com here in CA but their site has been down for several weeks now, not sure if they have fallen to this weak economy or not. May eventually have to use the Matzuo sickle style J hooks which are also super strong but light in hook weight (stealthy) like the VMC Dynamic.

Tight lines!

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
    Feb 5, 2011
    Opelika Al USA
    Name
    quinn
    Boat
    exel last, next?

I didn't miss it, but hooks? rods and reels to see what you like, but hooks? maybe I'm wrong but have you seen the prices on hooks? will you loan me enuff hooks for a 12 day? will you buddy?

Upvote 0