CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
I've seen several recomendations about hooks all type's and the boats have their recomended takle and all most all include the stock #'s of these hooks, WELL when I go shopping online{beating Ca out of their taxes is a hobby of mine and you get more stuff} I cannot find any of these hooks! even going to a MFG website{eagle claw, mustad} they ain't there either. anybody got some recent stock #'s of the type's of hooks and the amount of each I will need for a five day. Thanks

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Forget the sales tax, that's small potatoes, call Guy at Ringed Hooks (or visit his website) and just buy what he tells you for the trip you're going on.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Ringed hooks or CharkBait, should do nicely. Cabelas has the tax free angle but the selection is not up to the other two!

Tight lines.

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
You don't really need any expensive hooks for a 5 dayer. 1 box of 94150 or 92677 Mustads in 4/0 and 6/0 will get you by for most of the species. Add in some 7/0 or 8/0s for fishing big baits on the bottom. If you want a little nicer hook then look at Eagle Claw 118s in 2/0 and 4/0 or VMC Tuna Tamers in about the same sizes. Charkbait, Cabelas and Bass Pro should sell all these hooks.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Squidco now has a very nice website. Take a look at this hook and tell me why we stopped using chrome hooks? When you belly hook your bait, it blends right in. Secret's out.;)

http://www.squidcofishing.com/LIVE-BAIT-HOOK-CHROME-50-PACK_c194.htm

Oh, yeah, and with the cost of gas, cheaper to have stuff shipped to your house than it is to even start your car.

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Squidco now has a very nice website. Take a look at this hook and tell me why we stopped using chrome hooks? When you belly hook your bait, it blends right in. Secret's out.;)

http://www.squidcofishing.com/LIVE-BAIT-HOOK-CHROME-50-PACK_c194.htm

Oh, yeah, and with the cost of gas, cheaper to have stuff shipped to your house than it is to even start your car.

I've used a VMC 7262 J hook in a dull 'silver' finish for butt hooking for some time. Just like you'd think, damn near invisible. Chrome though, I don't know.
As for prices/costs/shipping/taxes, screw it. I prefer to do business with the small guys who need and appreciate us rather than some big evil corporation.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Ringed Hooks.com,

For all your ringed or non ringed hooks purchased on line Talk to Guy for any and all questions you may have. Total customer service.
Also ask about Spectra, jigs, accessories or ???
Once you go to Ringed Hooks.com for your on line needs you never go back...... Unless you really do go backwards.

Now for those who are near the San Fernando Valley and want to actually touch and see their gear come on by Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys. The shop is one of the largest and most completely stocked tackle stores anywhere with a huge selection of hooks of all types.

Jamie

Upvote 0

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Day at Docks may be your next best discount.
Usually is not that much stuff for sale a DATD. Buying hooks at the landing isnt the cheapest alternative either, just sayin

Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
Alan760:

I'm curious about your recommendation for size 4/0 and up. If you're fishing sardines, wouldn't a hook that size overwhelm the bait? Unless it's a big mackeral, I have been going with 1/0 or 2/0.

--Pat

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
maybe the tax on the hooks would be "small potatoes" but I got my Penn 16 VSX for $440 shipped, no tax,if you where going to look at the tax, this reel cost me more like $400, aS FOR DEALING WITH THE "SMALL GUYS" MOST INTERNET SELLERS ARE SMALL GUYS who work out of their house and know how to buy from "the big evil mean corporation" I bought 2 Penn TRQ 200's for $269 a piece from a little guy in Mo.{no tax, no shipping} Their going for almost $400 a piece locally +tax I will probably by from the hook guy your all talking about, Because he has what I want. and with what I saved on my reels and rod purchases the hooks wiil be just about free. I don't mind paying fair taxes, But Ca went past FAIR along time ago. hell I went to santa fe springs today to check on having 2 reels spooled with JB spectra and the place I was supposed to do all this saving at wanted $40 a 100 yards for 100lbs, looks like I'll be getting a 1500 yard spool somewhere with no tax no shipping anybody need 600 yards?

Forget the sales tax, that's small potatoes, call Guy at Ringed Hooks (or visit his website) and just buy what he tells you for the trip you're going on.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
maybe the tax on the hooks would be "small potatoes" but I got my Penn 16 VSX for $440 shipped, no tax,if you where going to look at the tax, this reel cost me more like $400, aS FOR DEALING WITH THE "SMALL GUYS" MOST INTERNET SELLERS ARE SMALL GUYS who work out of their house and know how to buy from "the big evil mean corporation" I bought 2 Penn TRQ 200's for $269 a piece from a little guy in Mo.{no tax, no shipping} Their going for almost $400 a piece locally +tax I will probably by from the hook guy your all talking about, Because he has what I want. and with what I saved on my reels and rod purchases the hooks wiil be just about free. I don't mind paying fair taxes, But Ca went past FAIR along time ago. hell I went to santa fe springs today to check on having 2 reels spooled with JB spectra and the place I was supposed to do all this saving at wanted $40 a 100 yards for 100lbs, looks like I'll be getting a 1500 yard spool somewhere with no tax no shipping anybody need 600 yards?

Sure I'll take your extra 600 yards of 100#...Just PM me what you want for it....

Upvote 0

HermosaJoe

Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
Alan760:

I'm curious about your recommendation for size 4/0 and up. If you're fishing sardines, wouldn't a hook that size overwhelm the bait? Unless it's a big mackeral, I have been going with 1/0 or 2/0.

--Pat

FYI: I pulled 2/0 hooks on 100lb class tuna more than once last summer. Switched to 3/0 and hung a couple. Some of the more experienced anglers here fish 4/0s with the sardine at Alijos.

My $0.02

Upvote 0

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Alan760:

--Pat

Hook size is not only dependent on the bait but also the lb test you're fishing and size of fish. For 5-10 day trips, 40lb bait rig is a standard outfit so a 4/0 hook is fine for dines and 6/0 for mackies. If you fish a smaller hook with heavy line the concern is that you could straighten out the hook with the mustad cheapie bronze hooks. 1/0 and 2/0 hook is fine for the 1-2 day trips where you're probably fishing 20-30 lb rigs.

With that said there is no standard hook size so a 4/0 mustad j live bait hook is what I use for sardines but I would probably fish a size or 2 smaller with Eagle Claws 118s or VMC Tuna Tamers.

To answer your other question, I have no problems getting the dino away from the boat and hanging fish. Last Jan I fished a 5/0 VMC tuna tamer with 100lb mono topshot and got bit fine by 75-130lb yfts.

Upvote 0

HermosaJoe

Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
As for prices/costs/shipping/taxes, screw it. I prefer to do business with the small guys who need and appreciate us rather than some big evil corporation.

The problem is that things are much more complicated than a simple dichotomy between good 'small guys' and 'some big evil corporation.' Corporations often employ a whole lot of 'small guys,' do R&D, etc., etc., etc. Kinda like the whole 'buy American' thing. That might have worked a few decades ago, but last I checked most of the guys working at Shimano Irvine are 'Americans,' as are a whole lot of the people building and selling Toyotas all across the good ole USA.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like Shimano (Like I really need a matching Terez-Curada-Waxwing to catch a calico bass?! NOT), and who spends every dime he can at his local Redondo Beach tackle shop.

Just sayin'

Joe

Upvote 0

Garabaldi

Dec 10, 2009
Monarch Beach, CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
The cool thing about Ringedhooks.com is it is truly a "one stop" shop as far as hooks goes so you will save time as they have everything you need or could possiby want, and time is money to me! No real bias with them either as they stock just about every name brand in depth (ringed or standard - small packs or boxes) and they even have a few unique hook styles that one no else carries
icon12.gif
- they also sell JB braid, crimps, Raider jigs and other basic LR stuff so meeting their free shipping min is not hard to do. I believe they still offer a volume discount of 10% as well... bottom line is they are good people and they provide excellent customer service. The owner (Guy) is a long range fisherman who heads up a charter or two every year and he knows his stuff when it comes to terminal tackle.

My 2 cents!

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
ringedhooks .com is not far from me, can I just pick my order up? does he just sell the JB or does he spool it too?

Upvote 0

BarneyGumble

Hey Now!!
Sep 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Bruce
Boat
Never-prefer to leave the hard work to the professionals!
ringedhooks .com is not far from me, can I just pick my order up? does he just sell the JB or does he spool it too?

Straight from RingedHooks.com: Note:
RingedHooks.com business is conducted solely through our website. We have no retail outlet in which to pick-up or purchase items referenced on our website.

Sorry...I would've gone there, too!!

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Wow, did we get off track with the whole "small guy thing"!!
The reason for recommending Ringed Hooks was that you can call Guy, tell him what trip you're on, and he'll sell you what he knows you'll need because he's a long-range fisherman himself, not just an order desk person, or someone who's never seen tuna outside a can.
You're new, you don't know for sure what you'll need but he does!
Good luck.

Wow, lot of guys touchy about that big evil corporation thing.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
What you said is what I'm going to do talk to Guy! and ain't that amazing! and to think most of them work for or get the products they sell or have their retirement invested in THE BIG EVIL MEAN CORP

Wow, did we get off track with the whole "small guy thing"!!
The reason for recommending Ringed Hooks was that you can call Guy, tell him what trip you're on, and he'll sell you what he knows you'll need because he's a long-range fisherman himself, not just an order desk person, or someone who's never seen tuna outside a can.
You're new, you don't know for sure what you'll need but he does!
Good luck.

Wow, lot of guys touchy about that big evil corporation thing.

Upvote 0