Hooks for upcoming 4 day

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
Antioch,Ca
Name
Ed
Boat
13'4" Gregor
I’ll be leaving on a 4 day on the Searcher on 8-7… should I wait till the last minute to pick up the hooks I’ll need or try and get them now ? I know things can change day to day but I would like to get a head start on this if I could… I’m looking for size and quantity recommendations.

Cool

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You're going on a 4-day on the Searcher and you DON'T already have a couple of hundred hooks in at least six sizes in your 50 pound roll-on box? They aren't going to let you on the boat unless you settle down and get serious.

Your live bait will be sardines, mostly medium size. The fish that they will be targeting is tuna and occasional yellowtail. If the tuna are really spooky you will need a very small but strong hook, I use the #4 Owner Mutu circle. If you are fortunate and the fish are more eager to bite, a larger Mutu like the 1/0 gives you a better hookup in the jaw. If you need to belly hook the sardines and you can't do it with a circle hook without damaging the sardine, a strong J hook in the same size range gets it done. Don't swing on the strike, just let the line come tight and almost always the hook will set in the corner of the jaw with either style of hook.

Is this your first multi-day trip? If so, there are a lot of other things to make sure you are bringing besides hooks.

Reactions: CooldadE and hronk
    Upvote 0

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
    Antioch,Ca
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    13'4" Gregor
    You're going on a 4-day on the Searcher and you DON'T already have a couple of hundred hooks in at least six sizes in your 50 pound roll-on box? They aren't going to let you on the boat unless you settle down and get serious.

Your live bait will be sardines, mostly medium size. The fish that they will be targeting is tuna and occasional yellowtail. If the tuna are really spooky you will need a very small but strong hook, I use the #4 Owner Mutu circle. If you are fortunate and the fish are more eager to bite, a larger Mutu like the 1/0 gives you a better hookup in the jaw. If you need to belly hook the sardines and you can't do it with a circle hook without damaging the sardine, a strong J hook in the same size range gets it done. Don't swing on the strike, just let the line come tight and almost always the hook will set in the corner of the jaw with either style of hook.

Is this your first multi-day trip? If so, there are a lot of other things to make sure you are bringing besides hooks.
    This is my second multi day trip. I’ve got some torpedo sinkers, 2 sizes of rubber bands , don't know if I will need them but I’ve got some sliding sinkers, yo-yo jigs,surface jigs, flatfall jigs, side cutters, needle nose pliers, split ring pliers and a light to put the glow in the flatfalls… It’s an Izorline sponsored trip so I’m not worried bout leaders although all my outfits are setup and GTG right now…

Cool

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
    Antioch,Ca
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    13'4" Gregor
    This is my second multi day trip. I’ve got some torpedo sinkers, 2 sizes of rubber bands , don't know if I will need them but I’ve got some sliding sinkers, yo-yo jigs,surface jigs, flatfall jigs, side cutters, needle nose pliers, split ring pliers and a light to put the glow in the flatfalls… It’s an Izorline sponsored trip so I’m not worried bout leaders although all my outfits are setup and GTG right now…

Cool
    Thanks for the hook suggestions !

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Regardless of trip length, one should always bring these basic sizes at the minimum: #4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0. Both circles and J. Ringed eye is personal preference. The 3/0 size can even be used in a pinch to replace factory hooks on smaller gram jigs. I use Mustad 94151's, Hayabusa's (j & circle) and Owner Mutu and Gorillas. On the Mutu's I prefer size #1's on up only. A buddy on my last charter turned me on to the Charlie Brown ringed circle hook and I may invest in those. I like their flanged design and heard they're very strong. Good luck out there! You picked a great boat...🐟

Reactions: CooldadE
    Upvote 0