Got Wasabi

Ichiban Captain
Aug 24, 2006
RPQ
Name
That Guy
Boat
22' SeaPro WA - Wasabi, 16' LUND
There's no one size fits all answer. It depends on the size of the Sardine. If you like Circle hooks then the gap dictates the size of the hook.

I personally like ringed hooks because they give the bait more freedom of movement and less chance of line chaffing at the knot. I would use a 4X strong hook. Mustad's R39943BLN in 4/0-6/0 is a very good choice. Owner Ringed Super Mutu 5127R-141 - 5127R-161 is also very good but the gap is a little narrower. Gamakatsu makes a ringed Super Nautilus hook 272414R - 272416R which are very good.

If you like live bait hooks (J hooks) then the Mustad ringed 4X strong live bait hook in the black nickel finish is very good hook R10827BLN 2/0 - 6/0. Can't go wrong with Owner ringed gorilla hooks 5105R-121 - 5105R-151. Or Gamakatsu Heavy Duty Live Bait hooks 00412R - 00415R. J hook sizes can be smaller than their circle counter parts.

One of my new favorites is the Owner Ringed Offshore hook. 5129R-121 - 5129R-151
I don't know what it is about this hook. It just feels right and gets good hook ups.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
4/0 to 6/0 ringed Super Mutu's do the job. Circle hook will almost always put the hook right in the corner of their mouth, right where you want it.
Size the hook accordingly to the bait. You can also go ringless and make a loop with your line for the ring (IMO a little bit stealthier)

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Cannot go wrong with Gammy Super Nautilus or Owner Super Mutu. Wise man has both. There is a time and place for each. Sizes and wire diameter are different so depending on bite one can be substituted for another. Picky bite (Which seems to be most of the time), smaller hook/wire diameter. Eating the paint off the boat, big and heavy,

Size of hook determined by size of bait.

Upvote 0

Illkeepfishing

Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2011
New York, New York
Name
Charles
Boat
Royal Polaris
When fly lining sardines for big tuna, I like the Quick Rig Charlie Brown 6/0 Ringed Circle hooks. I used it on the 160# YFT in the avatar. To be honest, however, I didn't go down to a 6/0 hook until the last hour of fishing, after I had already caught two cows.

I think the conventional wisdom is to go with the biggest, strongest hook you can get bit on. I would start with the crew's recommendation on hook size, since their opinion is the most informed.

Owner Super Mutu's are great hooks, but they put a big hole in a sardine. I use them; the mates like them on the RP; but I gotta' say that I think I'm killing the sardine when I pin on a Super Mutu. As others have said, bait size is part of the equation.

The description in the ad for the Quck Rig Charlie Brown Circle Hooks says:

QuickRig Ringed Circle Hooks

This is a great hook, quality, strength, long lasting finish and a super point. If fish Owner's Super Mutu, you should also give this hook a tryout. It is arguably stronger and of the same level of quality. It's also a better value product.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
4/0 to 6/0 ringed Super Mutu's do the job. Circle hook will almost always put the hook right in the corner of their mouth, right where you want it.
Size the hook accordingly to the bait. You can also go ringless and make a loop with your line for the ring (IMO a little bit stealthier)
This is what I'd do. I've never been a convert to the ringed hooks, though - at least not yet. Super Mutus really are great. I've had j-hooks lodge deep in the mouth, breathing a sigh of relief when we actually deck the fish (who's been gnawing away on the leader for a while). I have done well with "flyliner" and Gorilla hooks, and think I might lean towards those if you've got fish going on a frenzy and picking up your bait right by the boat. The j-hooks seems to lack hookup rate in that situation - just my experience.

Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
I was a j hook guy for quite a while . I started with owner super mutu's but switched as I felt that the hook was a little to heavy . Just my personal preference . I had great success with owner gorilla J hooks , but as it happens I wanted to tweek a few things . So this year I switched up to the Mustad Perfect circle hook and also had good success . I do like the feeling of the added security of the corner of the mouth hook set . The J hook always left me with that nagging feeling of doubt in the back of head that the hook is somewhere else like in the gut etc . I still rig one 100 lb rig with a J hook . John I checked out the quick rig hook . It looks so sweet . I use them for tiles with great results . I do tend to overthink the what if and the ring to pinched eye makes me go hmmm. I also use the mustads with no ring depending on the bite .

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
John I checked out the quick rig hook . It looks so sweet . I use them for tiles with great results . I do tend to overthink the what if and the ring to pinched eye makes me go hmmm.

Joe - I used the Quick Rig hooks for flylining almost exclusively now. IMO it is the strongest hook made. The pinched eye IMO makes the hook even stronger than bending the eye. When they are forging the hook its turned 90 degrees and the eye area is forged as well. Super strong.

Two seasons ago we landed a 919# bluefin on a 12/0 Charlie Brown Circle. No worries about strength in the eye area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Late to the party on this thread; I prefer the Mustad Demon 4X circle or EC 2004 or 2005 in 6/0-9 /0 depending on bait size and the situation. I also use the Owner Mutu 5/0-7/0 on occasion. They all work.

Bait selection, hook insertion, how fast bait is delivered to the water, fly lining technique and where you deliver the bait are usually more critical to getting bit than which hook is used. Much of this is personal preference, but you can see commonalities amongst the group.

Which ever hook you select, make sure it is high-quality and strong enough for the task at hand. Report back and let us know how it works for you...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0