Hooks for Sardine Fishing

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by mischief1, Feb 13, 2015.

1. mischief1

mischief1 Member

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    24 Skipjack "Catchit"
    What is your go to choice for fly lining a sardine for big 150+ yellow fin. What make and size do you guys like?

2. Got Wasabi

Got Wasabi Ichiban Captain

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    22' SeaPro WA - Wasabi, 16' LUND
    There's no one size fits all answer. It depends on the size of the Sardine. If you like Circle hooks then the gap dictates the size of the hook.

I personally like ringed hooks because they give the bait more freedom of movement and less chance of line chaffing at the knot. I would use a 4X strong hook. Mustad's R39943BLN in 4/0-6/0 is a very good choice. Owner Ringed Super Mutu 5127R-141 - 5127R-161 is also very good but the gap is a little narrower. Gamakatsu makes a ringed Super Nautilus hook 272414R - 272416R which are very good.

If you like live bait hooks (J hooks) then the Mustad ringed 4X strong live bait hook in the black nickel finish is very good hook R10827BLN 2/0 - 6/0. Can't go wrong with Owner ringed gorilla hooks 5105R-121 - 5105R-151. Or Gamakatsu Heavy Duty Live Bait hooks 00412R - 00415R. J hook sizes can be smaller than their circle counter parts.

One of my new favorites is the Owner Ringed Offshore hook. 5129R-121 - 5129R-151
    I don't know what it is about this hook. It just feels right and gets good hook ups.

3. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    4/0 to 6/0 ringed Super Mutu's do the job. Circle hook will almost always put the hook right in the corner of their mouth, right where you want it.
    Size the hook accordingly to the bait. You can also go ringless and make a loop with your line for the ring (IMO a little bit stealthier)

4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Cannot go wrong with Gammy Super Nautilus or Owner Super Mutu. Wise man has both. There is a time and place for each. Sizes and wire diameter are different so depending on bite one can be substituted for another. Picky bite (Which seems to be most of the time), smaller hook/wire diameter. Eating the paint off the boat, big and heavy,

Size of hook determined by size of bait.

5. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Mustad Demon perfect circle. 7/0 on up.

Anglewood and Steve K like this.
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Ringed Eagle Claw L2004…..non kirbed …… vary size to match bait.

dh515 likes this.
  7. Illkeepfishing

Illkeepfishing Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast

Name:
    Charles
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    When fly lining sardines for big tuna, I like the Quick Rig Charlie Brown 6/0 Ringed Circle hooks. I used it on the 160# YFT in the avatar. To be honest, however, I didn't go down to a 6/0 hook until the last hour of fishing, after I had already caught two cows.

I think the conventional wisdom is to go with the biggest, strongest hook you can get bit on. I would start with the crew's recommendation on hook size, since their opinion is the most informed.

Owner Super Mutu's are great hooks, but they put a big hole in a sardine. I use them; the mates like them on the RP; but I gotta' say that I think I'm killing the sardine when I pin on a Super Mutu. As others have said, bait size is part of the equation.

The description in the ad for the Quck Rig Charlie Brown Circle Hooks says:

QuickRig Ringed Circle Hooks

This is a great hook, quality, strength, long lasting finish and a super point. If fish Owner's Super Mutu, you should also give this hook a tryout. It is arguably stronger and of the same level of quality. It's also a better value product.

[​IMG]

8. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Straight tied Owner Gorillas (J hooks) 4/0 to 7/0. Don't like the circles.

9. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Wow, that pinched eye looks like a week point.

10. Jay-Hook

Jay-Hook Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    None
    I thought that this was a nice tool...

Attached Files:

11. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    This is what I'd do. I've never been a convert to the ringed hooks, though - at least not yet. Super Mutus really are great. I've had j-hooks lodge deep in the mouth, breathing a sigh of relief when we actually deck the fish (who's been gnawing away on the leader for a while). I have done well with "flyliner" and Gorilla hooks, and think I might lean towards those if you've got fish going on a frenzy and picking up your bait right by the boat. The j-hooks seems to lack hookup rate in that situation - just my experience.

12. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Quick Rig Charlie Brown in 5/0 and 6/0. End of discussion.

Tim Turis and Illkeepfishing like this.
  13. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Owner super mutu ringed circle hook. My go to hook.....

sierraazuel likes this.
  14. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I was a j hook guy for quite a while . I started with owner super mutu's but switched as I felt that the hook was a little to heavy . Just my personal preference . I had great success with owner gorilla J hooks , but as it happens I wanted to tweek a few things . So this year I switched up to the Mustad Perfect circle hook and also had good success . I do like the feeling of the added security of the corner of the mouth hook set . The J hook always left me with that nagging feeling of doubt in the back of head that the hook is somewhere else like in the gut etc . I still rig one 100 lb rig with a J hook . John I checked out the quick rig hook . It looks so sweet . I use them for tiles with great results . I do tend to overthink the what if and the ring to pinched eye makes me go hmmm. I also use the mustads with no ring depending on the bite .

15. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    Ringed offshore j hook started using a few years ago had solid hook set super mutu ringed all owners

16. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I like the ones with real light surface rust that I scrounge between the tackle boxes. They are strong as hell. Still sharp. The rust absorbs sunlight so no shimmer. And the price can't be beat :D

17. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Joe - I used the Quick Rig hooks for flylining almost exclusively now. IMO it is the strongest hook made. The pinched eye IMO makes the hook even stronger than bending the eye. When they are forging the hook its turned 90 degrees and the eye area is forged as well. Super strong.

Two seasons ago we landed a 919# bluefin on a 12/0 Charlie Brown Circle. No worries about strength in the eye area.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Owner super mutu ringed 4-6

19. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I will give it a shot this year John. Thanks for the info

20. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Late to the party on this thread; I prefer the Mustad Demon 4X circle or EC 2004 or 2005 in 6/0-9 /0 depending on bait size and the situation. I also use the Owner Mutu 5/0-7/0 on occasion. They all work.

Bait selection, hook insertion, how fast bait is delivered to the water, fly lining technique and where you deliver the bait are usually more critical to getting bit than which hook is used. Much of this is personal preference, but you can see commonalities amongst the group.

Which ever hook you select, make sure it is high-quality and strong enough for the task at hand. Report back and let us know how it works for you...

- Jeff Burroughs

sierraazuel and dh515 like this.