Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys doing the trip on the shogun 12-26 last year I fished all super mutus 4/0-6/0 hooks on mainly 80lb line. Im hearing 50lb line and 3/0 hooks are getting alot more fish this year. That being said they don't make a 3/0 super mutu what hook would you recommend in 3/0 size?

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Trokar circle hooks in 2/0 -4/0
Fantastic hooks..
I fished the ringed variety..

Reactions: hagridfish

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Careful, Trokar makes a lighter wire hook also, ( bent one on a 30lb yft). Bass Pro Shop in Roseville has a good assortment of the heavier Trokar hooks. Good luck Taylor.

Last edited:

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    this is the email the shogun office sent us prior to our trip with tackle recommendations:

Recommended Tacklefor fishing the Island per Captain Aaron:

We have been using nothing less than 60# Flurocarbon; 80# when it's biting or the bigger fish get on us. I highly recommend a two speed reel that are near full of spectra. A 5 foot top shot of fluro right onto the spectra is all you need. Your spectra should be 80-100#. Preferably 80# spectra/60 fluro, and/or 100# spectra/80# fluro. We have had lots of blowouts and casualties on 65# spectra. It does not hold up as well as the heavier spectra. 6-7 foot graphite or composite rods rated for the line sizes. Also bring a dropper loop rod with 80 or 100 mono on top.

Hook sizes for your flyline rigs are 4/0 and 5/0 depending on the brand. I recommend the Trokar Tk619 in 4/0 for sardines and 5/0-6/0 for the mackeral. 5/0-7/0 hooks and 16oz torpedo sinkers for your dropper loop rigs and make sure to have a 2 hook or heavy four hook yozuri type bait catcher for mackerel. They have worked great with the yellowtail and larger tuna.

fuj

Almost A Member
    Aug 13, 2006
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    nope
    Don't overlook J hooks. The bait in late November was ~5" sardines. Ringed 2/0 & 3/0 J's worked well. 1/0's too but there were some hook pulls. Owner Offshore, Gamakatsu Live Bait wire gauge was about right. Mustad Hoodlum 2/0 & 3/0 would bend out on better grade fish >100#.

Reactions: TOTW

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I'd be sure to have hooks for all different sizes of baits. You shouldn't have any issue with standard Mutus of Trokars in the 2/0 to 4/0 range. Some guys do like to push the limits of the standard Nautiluses or 3X Mustads, but know that there's a good chance of a bend or break with these.
    As noted above, j-hooks did more than their fair share of damage in late November. I'd definitely have a few packs of those for the smaller sardines if I were going back any time soon.
    On the other end of the spectrum, be sure to have some heavy circles in 5/0 to 6/0 for tubes/scads. if you're willing to try the chunk, take a few big, swiveled circles, too.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I have had good success with the regular (not "Super") Mutus, even down at Hurricane and Clarion. I'd look hard at them.

For heavier wire, my first choice is the Charlie Brown ringed circle by Quick Rig. Pretty much my favorite hook these days. I use it in every size I can get, in every application I can think of. It's heavier than the standard Mutu, significantly lighter than the Super Mutu. It's a great circle hook. When available, it comes in 1/0 - 12/0, with Super versions in 20/0 - 24/0, though for our purposes, those are specialty sizes at best, and definitely not for Guadalupe.

Second choice is the Trokar 619, but you need to know that these hooks come in "heavy" and "light" versions. What they call a "light" 619 is actually quite a heavy wire hook. I can't envision ever needing the "heavy" version. The one I prefer is the TK619i. Trokar calls it a "medium wire, closed eye hook, non-offset." Even though they call it medium wire, though, it's as thick a hook as I want to use. Only drawback is that it tops out at 6/0.

Reactions: $norkle

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    I'm a big fan of the Quick Rig "Charlie Brown" circle hooks as well, they are right in between a lighter wire hook and a heavy wire hook, slightly heavier than a regular Mutu so if that 130lb+ YFT at the Lupe eats your smaller sardine fishing the 2/0-3/0 size you've got a legit shot at landing it using higher drag settings and more angler pull which generally equates to shorter fight time and better hook to landing ratio. The only warning I would give with the Quick Rig "Charlie Brown" hooks is that in the smaller sizes the ring wire can be a thin diameter and the ring material is not as hard as some (this can cause damage to your leader knot as it tends to dig into it more and can cause failure under higher drag settings). I had Guy at Ringed Hooks re-ring all of my Charlie Brown hooks with a heavier diameter ring wire that is a harder stainless steel with a very secure weld.

For live bait J hooks the VMC Dynamic is the BEST (IMO), super strong and very light in weight... still can't believe VMC discontinued making them! A similar hook to the Dynamic is the Matzuo J hook (similar design to the Dynamic) very strong, very light weight.

I like using the live bait designer J hooks for the fly line sardine application (especially when the sardines are on the smaller side), I find the J hook is easier to pin your smaller fin bait onto the hook (this provides less trauma to the bait and gets it into the water faster), the J's are smaller/less bulky in profile verses the same size circle so its a bit easier for the smaller fin bait to tow around and if you fish it like a circle (just put your reel in gear - don't swing) when setting the J hook it usually ends up in the corner of the fish's mouth as well.

The Owner regular Mutu circle and the Offshore live bait J's are pretty tough to beat when that lighter hook (smaller fin bait) stealthier fly line application is the key to getting bit (Owner hooks are generally well supplied and readily available). As with all terminal tackle you just have to take into consideration its built in characteristics (limitations) based on design and history of the product as well as on the water field testing (preferably your own) when pushing the envelope to the max.

G

Last edited:

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    I have been fortunate to tag 24 YFT at Guadalupe the last two years. All have been caught on Gamakatsu Nautilus Ringed Circle hooks. Last year I used 5/0s on 60# and 80#. This year I used 4/0s due to the size of the bait. Because of the smaller size of the hook material the small sardines swim better. For me that equals more bites. The key is to toss the hook after every fish. Any pliers or dike marks will cause the hook to break.

By the way, all were tied with the Springer knot, again no failures.

I did pull a few hooks along the way but that was to be expected. Especially this year because the YFT seems to shake their heads like BF. No one knew why.

Knowing the size of the sardines and the smaller profile of these hooks, I would use them if I was going.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TOTW

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    For live bait J hooks the VMC Dynamic is the BEST (IMO), super strong and very light in weight... still can't believe VMC discontinued making them! A similar hook to the Dynamic is the Matzuo J hook (similar design to the Dynamic) very strong, very light weight.

G

I think those VMC Dynamics are still available. Only problem is the minimum order size is 1000 pieces.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
    Jul 1, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    Mike's
    I used 3/0 ringed Gorilla J's and my bait fish were all corner hooked without having to swing. Just slowly eased the drag toward strike.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    I think those VMC Dynamics are still available. Only problem is the minimum order size is 1000 pieces.

They have not been shown in the VMC catalog for over 2 years. There are a few guys like myself and a few tackle dealers who stocked up on them when we heard VMC was no longer going to make the Dynamic... so there are a few to be had out there but to my knowledge (based on folks I've talked with in the tackle industry including Guy at ringedhooks.com who stocks many different hooks from numerous manufactures) VMC simply quit making them, now they may have an option for a special order if you order 1,000 or more per size (I don't know) but they are no longer a catalog item that they stock in their inventory on a regular basis.

G

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Just me... for fish around 100# and fishing 40-60# I have a load of VMC 7262BN tuna tamer 3/0 to 5/0. The Dynamic 7360 is a really good hook though..

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    You can get VMC Dynamics from John at Trophy Tackle...he stocks all sizes.

But are they ringed?... some of us prefer ringed hooks ;).

Good to know where to find some Dynamics (for now anyway)... can always send the standard hook to Guy to get them ringed if that is your desire (Guy has several choices in rings as well, and he does good work).

G

Last edited:

gregory

Almost A Member
    Jul 1, 2004
    da OC
    Name
    gregory
    Boat
    float tube
    I like Trokar TK3 5/0 for #60 and TK619R 3/0 or 4/0 for #80. Once you go to 5/0 or 6/0 in the TK619, they only come in the "heavy" wire.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider
    I like Trokar TK3 5/0 for #60 and TK619R 3/0 or 4/0 for #80. Once you go to 5/0 or 6/0 in the TK619, they only come in the "heavy" wire.

I don't know about availability, but I know that they make the TK619 in "medium" wire up to and including 6/0. I use them!

But to repeat, even though Trokar says that hook is medium wire, it is pretty heavy. Just about the same to my untrained eye as the Charlie Brown. If you're looking for a hook that is a lighter wire, but plenty strong enough, the regular Mutu is a good call, especially with smaller bait. And even the Mutu is not exactly a thin wire hook...

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    80 Spectra, 60 flourocarbon, ringed Mutu 2/0 worked for me. Palomar knot. Crew commented on the smaller hooks, but I hooked 8 fish, landed 5. Losses were to the "taxman". I often use smaller hooks than most, but I do ensure the hooks I use are up to the task. Back in the day, when anchovies were the only bait, I often used #4 and #6 hooks while others used # 1 and # 2 hooks.

Latest posts