Hooking a bait

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
How do you prefer to hook a sardine vs a mackerel vs an anchovy and do you change it when fly lining vs using a weight?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Sardine: flyline, belly (not butt), or shoulder. Up through bottom/top jaw for sinker.
Anchovy: (what are these, even?) flyline = collar. Same as sardine with sinker rig—can be a deadly rig for albacore on the slide.
Mackerel: mostly shoulder hook. Same hook methods noted if sinker fishing.

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Same as TOTW, except Sardines with sinkers get the hook cross ways through the clearish triangle just in front of the eyes. This lets them breath more naturally and swim longer and stronger. Mackerel flylining, around the front half of the anal fin meat (just behind the butt) side to side. If the Mack if on the big side for the target species, I'll shoulder hook.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    If the fish are near the boat and/or a bit deeper, I usually butt hook because that increases the odds that the bait will swim down, although it doesn't live as long.

For a long soak and/or to get the bait into the current, I usually nose hook as Wade K describes. The bait doesn't go as deep, but it lives longer, plus I can fish the retrieve with a nose hook. If using a weight I also nose hook.