bsandls

I don't know what I don't know
  • Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    My son and I went out of Dana this morning and headed out to the 14 Mile. Sea was 68 to 69 and bumpy, making for a rough ride. When we got in the area there was not much life at first but as the morning got later we started seeing some foamers. Just like everyone else, we couldn't seem to get near them and would often only see one or two fish and then nada. Finally got close to some and my son throws out a jig and within a minute he says he is on and its big. I see his rod is full bend-o and watch him fight the fish while I throw out some bait, hoping to pull a few more toward the boat. After a few minutes he says it feels like the fish just rolled off his line and that it's lost. When he gets his jig back to the boat we see the reason he lost the fish, hook on the Tady straightened out.
    Strike 1.

A bit later we are headed back in and getting closer to Dana Point. We see a couple of small, very small, bluefin jump out of the water and then a bunch of boilers. Drop back a trolling rig and a live dean for the slow troll. Within a minute the reel goes off and starts screaming. I look back and all I can see is an explosion of water about 3 to 4 feet high and as wide as the boat. Never saw the fish, could have been multiple, could have been Moby himself, so I set the drag and start to pull. Suddenly I have slack line and when I get it in find out its broken off above the swivel. Must have had a nick in the line that I missed.
    Strike 2.

Great day to be out with my son and had some good opportunity, just couldn't capitalize. Suppose might have been able to avoid both problems with better equipment inspection. Live and learn.

IMG_2690.jpg

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Tough going! Looks like that jig hook lost its barb, too. Either some abnormally weak metal or the hook stuck in some hard jawbone—or both.

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat
    Reel rage
    My son and I went out of Dana this morning and headed out to the 14 Mile. Sea was 68 to 69 and bumpy, making for a rough ride. When we got in the area there was not much life at first but as the morning got later we started seeing some foamers. Just like everyone else, we couldn't seem to get near them and would often only see one or two fish and then nada. Finally got close to some and my son throws out a jig and within a minute he says he is on and its big. I see his rod is full bend-o and watch him fight the fish while I throw out some bait, hoping to pull a few more toward the boat. After a few minutes he says it feels like the fish just rolled off his line and that it's lost. When he gets his jig back to the boat we see the reason he lost the fish, hook on the Tady straightened out.
    Strike 1.

A bit later we are headed back in and getting closer to Dana Point. We see a couple of small, very small, bluefin jump out of the water and then a bunch of boilers. Drop back a trolling rig and a live dean for the slow troll. Within a minute the reel goes off and starts screaming. I look back and all I can see is an explosion of water about 3 to 4 feet high and as wide as the boat. Never saw the fish, could have been multiple, could have been Moby himself, so I set the drag and start to pull. Suddenly I have slack line and when I get it in find out its broken off above the swivel. Must have had a nick in the line that I missed.
    Strike 2.

Great day to be out with my son and had some good opportunity, just couldn't capitalize. Suppose might have been able to avoid both problems with better equipment inspection. Live and learn.

View attachment 1302021
    That hook bent because that was a bluefin and they always find a weak link.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Note to self... don't throw a Tady at big fish. I've seen the JRI land some big fish. I wonder if there is a gauge difference in the hook wire?

Reactions: joshc1024
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Note to self... don't throw a Tady at big fish. I've seen the JRI land some big fish. I wonder if there is a gauge difference in the hook wire?
    The newer Tadys have heavier hooks than the JRIs. Pretty sure they are 4X strength Mustads. The older model Tadys and the current JRIs are VMC 9626 PS. Sometimes the hook just sticks in a bad spot and if all the stress is on the point, it’s gonna bend—or break.

Reactions: stuman

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Don't feel bad, we went out this Wednesday and Friday and went zero for eight - from pulled hooks to getting bit off to who knows what else...

Even when everything is 110% perfect, it's still sometimes hard to land these cocksuckers :finger:

Back at it early next week (it's a sick obsession :D)!!!

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    FYI,I opened 2 Tady 45 rings on my 7 day trip.One on a Wahoo and one on a big YT.Got the jigs back but no hooks.Bad welds I guess.tom
    Even the best can have a few failures, I guess. Tady does such good braze work typically. I’d love to see the fail points if you have any pictures.

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    That's crazy. I have broke 80# before straitening a hook on a tady. Bummer and good job

Upvote 0

Professionull1

San Diego, CA
    Jun 17, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Barfy
    I feel your pain, I hooked 5 and landed none on a colt sniper with upgraded hooks and tady 45's. It's almost as if the hooks were too sharp and ripped out.

Upvote 0

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
  • Dec 15, 2008
    Menifee
    Name
    Scoot
    Boat
    18’ CC Baja
    Don't feel bad, we went out this Wednesday and Friday and went zero for eight - from pulled hooks to getting bit off to who knows what else...

Even when everything is 110% perfect, it's still sometimes hard to land these cocksuckers :finger:

Back at it early next week (it's a sick obsession :D)!!!
    But a healthy, expensive obsession!! Great tread

Upvote 0
    Apr 28, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Dine
    They use to or still do make i believe it was a 5 or 5/0 treble hook. We use to replace them in the early 90s on the Rapalas when I worked on the Kanani Kai. At Guadalupe. Bluefin. Look into it

Upvote 0