Hook size comparison......Help me decide

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
The last few years I've using the Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks for fly lining sardines and have had good success including a 110# bft on a size 2/0 with out deformation of the hook. I fish them like they are circle hooks and just engage the drag after i get picked up and almost always hook them in the corner of the mouth. The last few trips out when i ask the deckhands what size hook to use and show them the sizes they usually say something like "fish a circle hook in the size we mentioned earlier" then walk away. Well up until this week they were the only hooks i had.

Due to being hook shamed so often I dropped $150 on Charlie Brown ringed circle hooks in sizes ranging from 1/0 - 4/0. They're bigger than I thought they'd be and bigger than the Gamakatsu ringed live bait hooks I like....

So i now i'm not sure which ones to use.....

20210704_130527.jpg

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
I learned from a well known long range veteran that you can use a 1/0- and a 2/0 (chaie brown)for our sardines .. If bait is bigger and using mackerel then you should consider the 3/0 -4/0... I’m using a 1/0 for 40 to 60lb and 2/0 from 60 and above to 100lb..

Reactions: Kos and Pjstevko
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
1/0 and 2/0 ringed Charlie Brown C-Hooks are my "Go-to". I stay away from the Mustad Demon Perfect Circle hooks, I have personally seen 2 get "Spread" and lose their fish. Captain Adam on the New Lo-An also warned against these hooks. If they have mackerel use the larger sizes.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2017
Tuna Grounds
Name
Gouryella
Boat
Lil Yachty
I certainly will take all of them with me, i paid good $$$ for them :)

My question was which one to fish????

I personally use mutu and super mutu. I might add the Charlie Brown 1/0 - 4/0 to my tackle (Need to check them out in person).

But Something like this for BFTs.

Flyline 80lb and above....4/0 Owner Ringed Super Mutu.
40lb-60lb use size 1, 1/0, 2/0 Owner Ringed Mutu.
40lb and less 4, 2 Owner Ringed Mutu

Sinker rig 4/0-6/0.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2020
Yucca Valley
Name
Shane Reil
Boat
Next year hopefully
The biggest hook you have for the smallest bait in the well.
It will depend on the size of bait match the bait if the capt/deck hands say a 2/0 you may have to drop down to a 1/0. If the hooks are running that much bigger than the normal (owner,mustad,etc..)

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    For picky bft I'll drop down a hook size before I drop down in line size. I was just out last weekend on a 3 day and 25lb floro with a size 2 mutu circle was the hot ticket for the schoolies. Sinker rig was the 1/0 and 2/0 mutu's for the bigger models. No experience with CB hooks. I dont see the need for ringed hooks just change out your bait, find the one that swims

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    For picky bft I'll drop down a hook size before I drop down in line size. I was just out last weekend on a 3 day and 25lb floro with a size 2 mutu circle was the hot ticket for the schoolies. Sinker rig was the 1/0 and 2/0 mutu's for the bigger models. No experience with CB hooks. I dont see the need for ringed hooks just change out your bait, find the one that swims
    The CB hooks have a unique design that requires the ring.

Reactions: locvetter and Kos
    Upvote 0
    Jul 17, 2017
    Tuna Grounds
    Name
    Gouryella
    Boat
    Lil Yachty

But ringed hooks helps the bait swim even if they're shitty swimmers. haha

Upvote 0