Hook Organizer

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
I’m in the process of getting a new tackle bag/box and reorganizing. Two 3700 boxes for hooks (one for “J” and another for circle) seems inefficient and uses a lot of space! What great options has anyone found?

Thanks, Steve

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I put a divider in each compartment on the diagonal creating 2 triangles putting J’s in one and circles in the other. I also have a smaller box with 4 compartments that I put the hooks I’ll be sticking my salty fingers in so I don’t contaminate my stash.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I string packs together so the packs are on a loop of mono. In order of size. Like a book. And put in a big zip lock or medium. Frees up the boxes for other tackle and keeps the hooks pristine

Cheap mustads stay in the plastic box and go into a tray

I like the hooks in the pack and I never put a used hook back in the pack

I will rinse a used designer hook off with fresh water and pat dry with my shirt. Then put into the bag of used hooks

Upvote 0

808dc

Dec 4, 2015
    Washington DC
    Name
    james
    Boat
    none
    I use the Mustad Double Rigger Wallet. The double-sided version is big, so if you just want to do hooks, use the single-sided bag. I use the other side of the bag for wind-on, bait wire leaders, and double trouble rigs.

Pros:
    - easy organization. Like others noted above, I too like keeping all of my hooks in their original pocket packaging, so I drop them into a separate sleeve based on size. Easy to flip to the right page.
    - keeps salt out. I noticed with the 3700 trays, the salt crept in easier and was a pain to clean after every trip. Original packaging and separate sleeves, combined with the outer zipper keeps most of the salt out. Only really need to wipe down the sleeves I used, rather than dumping a whole tray and cleaning everything
    - avoids mismatch. One thing I hate about the classic tray system is that hooks sometimes get mis-organized. really didn't like resorting hooks.

Cons:
    - It is another bag. I don't mind as much since I'll just put this bag on one of the shelves that most tackle boxes don't fit; this is alongside a separate case I have for fluorocarbon.
    - not as fast. It is not as fast as opening a plano tray when the bite is hot, but for that I keep a small pill box on the top of my SKB with cheap hooks (or the hook I think I'll use most for the day) for a fast retie.

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Land , Air , and Sea
    Name
    Sigmund
    Boat
    "The Sea Monster"
    Binder Rings from Daiso Japan

3B2C18AD-ABB3-4943-85CD-64BC30905A91.jpeg

E4B7F004-B3B0-4418-817E-8C734D3B6303.jpeg

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I picked up one of these for our trip, Steve:

Amazon product
    I put the individual hook bags into the ziplocs, J on the left, circle on the right, in order of size. The bag fits easily in the top of my Predator bag, which is similar to your Calcutta. Now that I think of it, I think next trip, I'll put some wahoo wire leaders in the larger ziploc.

Reactions: Warlord
    Warlord
    Warlord
    That looks like a great solution. When I get back from my fly down/back on the RRIII in January, I will evaluate how my adjusts made work. I think the re-evaluating of your tackle and personal gear is one of the more valuable aspects. Nothing beats lessons learned through experience! You only learn through mistakes.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    One of the great things about BD is the number of varied suggestions to your queries. In evaluating some of the responses, I remembered I’ve got a Gamagatsu hook box that I haven’t been maximizing it’s utility. Getting the hooks out of my main box has great advantages. I keep 4 or 6 compartment boxes to fish out of, but having a greater option for hooks that the Gamagatsu will give I think may solve my issue. Thanks for the replies!

Steve

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I learned this on the 10-day: much like the saying "No battle plan survives the first shot," so too, no organization of my tackle bag survives the first hot wahoo bite. :D

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I string packs together so the packs are on a loop of mono. In order of size. Like a book. And put in a big zip lock or medium. Frees up the boxes for other tackle and keeps the hooks pristine

Cheap mustads stay in the plastic box and go into a tray

I like the hooks in the pack and I never put a used hook back in the pack

I will rinse a used designer hook off with fresh water and pat dry with my shirt. Then put into the bag of used hooks
    I went thru many efforts and now keep my hooks in the pack and arrange them by size and J and Circle (but I have a number of loose hooks and am slowly re-packing them, as first use hooks). I also keep a small 6-divider plastic with Mustad bronze hooks handy in the top of my tackle bag.
    I had been rubber-banding the packs by size (ex all no. 2s banded together).
    I REALLY LIKE the ring organizer idea and 'used' hook segregation. It is easily scalable from day boats to long range - THANKS!!
    Tight lines,

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Chelsea Rae
    Depending on the trip and if I’m taking a 3600 size or 3700 size tackle box ( SKB -3600 ) or a ( WFO-3700) I take one tray of hooks and hook packs stay in a reel bag….I have two trays set up in both size
    J hook , ringed , circle….works for me and I can see what I need to restock….even put moisture packets in the tray

38D79E1A-C042-4473-AA46-9FBE47E3CAF8.jpeg

62DB3D88-51E7-44FD-817A-A11BBDBB6C82.jpeg

Warlord
    Warlord
    I use all the desiccate packs out of pills, etc. in my hook boxes also. Greatly reduces rust.
    Upvote 0
    sealskinner
    sealskinner
    I put together a box like that with J's and circles.
    I had a trip to SQ on a cruiser with my friends.
    The box was fine until the drunk pangero scattered them on the back deck. Now I just carry small pack.
    Upvote 0
    dh515
    dh515
    I do it the same way and use rice as a desiccant.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Depending on the trip and if I’m taking a 3600 size or 3700 size tackle box ( SKB -3600 ) or a ( WFO-3700) I take one tray of hooks and hook packs stay in a reel bag….I have two trays set up in both size
    J hook , ringed , circle….works for me and I can see what I need to restock….even put moisture packets in the tray

View attachment 1337298

View attachment 1337299
    That's how I do my hooks. Here is a tip for you, go buy some long 6" tweezers at Harbor Freight and use those to pic your hooks out of the tray. That way you are not touching your other hooks with wet or damp hands.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

andrewr

Aug 24, 2006
    Calabasas
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    None
    I use these clear plastic bags (4x6 and 5x7) to consolidate in to smaller packaging and put 3-5 different size hooks of the same make and model in each divider. This allows me to get a large variety of hooks in to one box.

Organizing by size alone is not always optimal since all manufacturer sizing is not the same, and we use different hook types for different applications. The bags also help prevent contamination of other hooks when I reach in to the box with wet hands to retie.

Reactions: egarratt
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    One of the guys posted that his tackle box had been stolen. I thought I could help him out by sending him some hooks. Seemed like I had plenty, maybe too many. I found a small six compartment plastic box that fit in the small USPS Priority Mail box and went after it. I got it all loaded up with various sizes of J and Circle hooks, even some ringed. He was grateful and I still have what I consider to be plenty, again, maybe too many.

I only carry two trays in my tackle bag that goes on deck, even on a 16 day. One for hooks and weights, maybe a swivel or two. The other is for jigs. In a small bag that I take on longer trips, usually in the stateroom, is where I keep some more stuff that can restock what’s on deck. Varies, depending on the nature of the trip.

swami 805
    swami 805
    I sent that guy a bunch of hooks too, probably has a lifetime supply now
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    I put mine in film containers and label them...then if the tray gets knocked over you don't have a nightmare on your hands.....and they don't rust.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid

View attachment 1337298

View attachment 1337299
    Jim that is awesome makes it much simpler for me to find the hook I am looking for in your bag....LOL

Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    I recently down sized from the nomad 3700 roller to a 3600 diawa box that has room for a "3500" size box. I found this little guy at big 5 and think it would work for you, you might need 2... 1 for circle hooks and 1 for j hooks. I combined circle and j in by size to make room. the back side has room for larger hooks as well. A added a pic next to a 3600 size for scale.

Resized_Resized_20211130_225156.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20211130_225129.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20211130_225137.jpeg

Reactions: Warlord

CI_SeaWolf

Almost A Member
  • Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    I keep one big plano tray in my bag. Pocket pack of what I am using goes in my pocket. Used hooks go in little 6 compartment tray outside of bag. Wash down with fresh water and soap after use, never go back in with the new hooks.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I have read in most of these posts about used hooks being put in a different place than the new hooks.....has anyone lost a fish because of using a rusty or used hook??

My very first cow trip was on the Vagabond 20 years ago and during the seminar Captain Lackey suggested using Eagle Claw 2004's.....hell I had never heard of them much less have any....So Timmy the deckhand dug through a drawer in the wheel house and found two old rusted Eagle Claws.....well I tied it on with a spider hitched double 130# mono leader with a double san diego which was about as stealthy as a anchor and proceeded to catch my first cow and several 150# to 180# fish with the rusty hook....saved it and here is a photo of it...i still use Eagle Claw 2004's.
    IMG_0345.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0