HOOk, LINE, and LEG!!!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by hulikoa, May 4, 2014.

1. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    It's better to leave impailed objects like this in place. No benefit to removing them at sea and in fact it puts you at greater risk for bleeding and infection. The hospital is going to do a better job, have better, cleaner tools and you will have the benefit it being numbed up when they do it. Best bet is to place padding around it, get it stabilized in place and get to a hospital ASAP.

2. hulikoa

hulikoa 19' Alii Kai

Name:
    duke
    Boat:
    Ku'ula kai

Here the short clips as requested!!! No turning back now!! Aloha

3. hulikoa

hulikoa 19' Alii Kai

Name:
    duke
    Boat:
    Ku'ula kai
    Robert: sorry to see u guys had the same event happen!!! Hope u guys landed that one!!! Good thing the hooks were sharpened before we dropped them in, I imagine it hurting way more on a dull point.

Mike: buddy I feel your pain!!!! Hope the healing went well n no more close encounters!!! Happy fishing

4. hulikoa

hulikoa 19' Alii Kai

Name:
    duke
    Boat:
    Ku'ula kai
    James: I'm glad my thinking train stayed on its tracks cuz thats WAt I was leaning more towards. N yes thank goodness they numbed me up cuz it felt like the hook carved a channel on my shin bone upon exiting!! Stay safe, Aloha

5. stella marina

stella marina Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc,
    wow!!!!! way to take it like a champ. I hope you heal well and are out catching again soon.

6. manu-o-ku

manu-o-ku Newbie

Name:
    luke
    Boat:
    170 Montauk
    Nice fish Duke, sorry about the leg. Been lucky so far tossing into box, but some times miss or lid closes. Might be time for me to killem before they get in da boat.

7. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Duke,
    Welocme aboard and good goin' on the mahis, sorry about the hook in leg; I got to see that happen on the back deck of my previous boat to a friend. Heard, ouch, saw the point of the hook (10-0) in the meaty part of the arch of his foot, the aku (about 18#'s) gave a quick jump and got to watch it slide right thru, pretty cool actually, though should never happen. Thanks for sharing the vid clip, mine as well make the best of it...

Cheers
    Pat

8. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Eclipse
    Sucks. Did they cut it out or cut off barb and reverse it? Get well!

9. secure303

secure303 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    The Hobie
    Wow! Glad you're okay. That's a really good reminder about safety on the decks of our boats. I'm amazed you had the presence of mind to land the other fish.

10. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Glad your ok and got the fish. Roger that, better to leave it in place and get pro help. If in doubt, call for assistance on channel 16. We carry military tourniquets thanks to a bronze star fisherman I had the honor of fishing with a few times, xl bolt cutters, full first aid kit, crazy glue.... So far just cut my finger down to the tendon sheath a few yrs ago and drove myself to the dr. Knock on wood.

Tight lines,

11. hulikoa

hulikoa 19' Alii Kai

Name:
    duke
    Boat:
    Ku'ula kai
    Luke: sure do let me know if u find some mahi whisperer that can tame them enough to just slide into the ice haha

Pat: guess once the hook goes in there's not much you can do but help it go all the way through, let's hope that doesn't happen again!!

Rob: thank goodness the do for had some dam good numbing stuff cuz alls he had was a bolt cutter, cut the barb n backed it out. The next day hurt a lot more then when it had initially happened.

Jeff n grander: definitely all I wanted was to land that other mahi I refer to as the accomplice!!! But it worked out cuz we got the mahis n no one else got stuck haha. As for your safety kit, is there anything else that I should be keeping aboard in case something else bad happens? Thanks n happy fishing

12. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    duke, duct tape and roll 550 cord and extra ss hose clamps and your all good!

13. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    I also recommend a couple of tubes of antibacterial cream and/or soap. Even minor cuts if cleaned off with the stuff RIGHT AWAY do a lot better re healing. If you have a 'canned' first aid kit but some larger gauze rolls, ace bandage, tape the kits are usually very small light duty stuff and just as good / same price to assemble your own. Also get nitrile gloves, handy for other messy situations. I double them up.

Re mahis, they are crazy fish, it happens.....

Wear gloves for better grip

Grab tail and arch mahis back hard with its head against the deck, it will move a lot less, and jam caugie or similarly eg knife all the way through head

If its not a big one and you get a safe shot and a good grip brab into the gills with gloves on

Carry a spray bottle filled with vodka or other 40% or higher drinkable alcohol. Put in on 'stream' setting.' Spray directly into gills. This slows down / stops even bigger lively 'deck fish'. Don't let the crew drink it all.....

Sometimes if it gets out of hand I horse mahi directly into cooler/ fish box by the leader and let them go, or even stand back and Let them hop around the deck a little if they are very lively and have gotten out of control.

No right way, just some ideas. Try the arching back plus the vodka. It works!

Tight lines,

14. hulikoa

hulikoa 19' Alii Kai

Name:
    duke
    Boat:
    Ku'ula kai
    Grander n Brian: thanks for all the great ideas!!!! Kinda entertaining to think where the vodka idea came from but none the less ill definitely try it on my next trip along with the back arch!!! Anything to reduce the risk of another mishook on deck. Mahalos again n happy fishin

15. FIRE GUY

FIRE GUY Newbie

Name:
    NORM
    Boat:
    CAROLINA CLASSIC/26'/UNREEL
    SHOOT FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    If you can kagi stick um there dead on contact or just have a canvas or towel ready to throw no there head if you drop um on deck because im a fan of trailer hooks myself!

17. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Ouch! I've been there and it's not fun. Makes you wonder how the fish shake those hooks because they're definitely tough to pull out.

18. LA I KU

LA I KU Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    LA I KU 21' Proline
    use a salmon net, they calm down pretty quick!

19. shinchan

shinchan Newbie

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    13' Whaler "Shinchan"
    Duke, JFK and Grander are right, leave the hook in as you might do more damage/cause more blood loss trying to extract it (plus I guarantee you'll get more attention in the ER- anytime surgery involves boltcutters I'm there!), make sure the impaled area is clean from fish blood and slime (wipe or spritz the area clean) and wrap that sucker up. I've had my share of mahi wrestling matches: jumping out of the boat, kicking my ass in the boat and cutting the battery wires and shocking me so now I yank the smaller ones right in the bag and for the larger ones I think I'll start using a kage for a headshot and less MMA stuff...Mahalo for the egg recipe, I'll give it a go!

20. Islandrat

Islandrat Wish I was new

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Radon 26
    there is a guy on youtube that sticks hooks in his arm to show you how to remove them. Pretty funny shit, yours however are not so funny.