skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Sucks. Did they cut it out or cut off barb and reverse it? Get well!

secure303

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 21, 2011
Kaneohe/HI/US
Name
Jeff
Boat
The Hobie
Wow! Glad you're okay. That's a really good reminder about safety on the decks of our boats. I'm amazed you had the presence of mind to land the other fish.

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
It's better to leave impailed objects like this in place. No benefit to removing them at sea and in fact it puts you at greater risk for bleeding and infection. The hospital is going to do a better job, have better, cleaner tools and you will have the benefit it being numbed up when they do it. Best bet is to place padding around it, get it stabilized in place and get to a hospital ASAP.
Glad your ok and got the fish. Roger that, better to leave it in place and get pro help. If in doubt, call for assistance on channel 16. We carry military tourniquets thanks to a bronze star fisherman I had the honor of fishing with a few times, xl bolt cutters, full first aid kit, crazy glue.... So far just cut my finger down to the tendon sheath a few yrs ago and drove myself to the dr. Knock on wood.

Tight lines,

hulikoa

25’ Force flybridge
Feb 17, 2013
wailua, Kauai
Name
duke
Boat
Ku'ula kai
Luke: sure do let me know if u find some mahi whisperer that can tame them enough to just slide into the ice haha

Pat: guess once the hook goes in there's not much you can do but help it go all the way through, let's hope that doesn't happen again!!

Rob: thank goodness the do for had some dam good numbing stuff cuz alls he had was a bolt cutter, cut the barb n backed it out. The next day hurt a lot more then when it had initially happened.

Jeff n grander: definitely all I wanted was to land that other mahi I refer to as the accomplice!!! But it worked out cuz we got the mahis n no one else got stuck haha. As for your safety kit, is there anything else that I should be keeping aboard in case something else bad happens? Thanks n happy fishing

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
duke, duct tape and roll 550 cord and extra ss hose clamps and your all good!

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I also recommend a couple of tubes of antibacterial cream and/or soap. Even minor cuts if cleaned off with the stuff RIGHT AWAY do a lot better re healing. If you have a 'canned' first aid kit but some larger gauze rolls, ace bandage, tape the kits are usually very small light duty stuff and just as good / same price to assemble your own. Also get nitrile gloves, handy for other messy situations. I double them up.

Re mahis, they are crazy fish, it happens.....

Wear gloves for better grip

Grab tail and arch mahis back hard with its head against the deck, it will move a lot less, and jam caugie or similarly eg knife all the way through head

If its not a big one and you get a safe shot and a good grip brab into the gills with gloves on

Carry a spray bottle filled with vodka or other 40% or higher drinkable alcohol. Put in on 'stream' setting.' Spray directly into gills. This slows down / stops even bigger lively 'deck fish'. Don't let the crew drink it all.....

Sometimes if it gets out of hand I horse mahi directly into cooler/ fish box by the leader and let them go, or even stand back and Let them hop around the deck a little if they are very lively and have gotten out of control.

No right way, just some ideas. Try the arching back plus the vodka. It works!

Tight lines,

hulikoa

25’ Force flybridge
Feb 17, 2013
wailua, Kauai
Name
duke
Boat
Ku'ula kai
Grander n Brian: thanks for all the great ideas!!!! Kinda entertaining to think where the vodka idea came from but none the less ill definitely try it on my next trip along with the back arch!!! Anything to reduce the risk of another mishook on deck. Mahalos again n happy fishin

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
If you can kagi stick um there dead on contact or just have a canvas or towel ready to throw no there head if you drop um on deck because im a fan of trailer hooks myself!

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Duke, JFK and Grander are right, leave the hook in as you might do more damage/cause more blood loss trying to extract it (plus I guarantee you'll get more attention in the ER- anytime surgery involves boltcutters I'm there!), make sure the impaled area is clean from fish blood and slime (wipe or spritz the area clean) and wrap that sucker up. I've had my share of mahi wrestling matches: jumping out of the boat, kicking my ass in the boat and cutting the battery wires and shocking me so now I yank the smaller ones right in the bag and for the larger ones I think I'll start using a kage for a headshot and less MMA stuff...Mahalo for the egg recipe, I'll give it a go!

Islandrat

Wish I was new
Aug 15, 2007
Camarillo
Name
Eric
Boat
Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
there is a guy on youtube that sticks hooks in his arm to show you how to remove them. Pretty funny shit, yours however are not so funny.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Sorry about your injury, but glad it turned out ok. Seems like that's the problem with trailer hooks, one for fish and other for angler. I personally run a single hook for all lures just for the safety factor, I'd rather miss a fish then run the risk of personal injury. Even with a trailer hook it doesn't guarantee a hookup, everyone has to make a choice, and that's mine, just wanted to share my perspective and save you and other anglers any potential future pain. And yes having a small bolt cutter or nail cutter will help too, even if you never need it, good to have the insurance, especially when the barb pokes all the way through, be safe and tight lines....

Cougar Spit

Mar 7, 2011
Dewatto
Name
Brad
Boat
20' Boulton
Man thats bad! The hooks is so big! I was a deckhand in San Diego in the early 80s and had a couple big trebles maul my right index finger in Mexico while fishing big yellowtail at Bens rock with a big old Rapala. Ever try laying on a 25lb yellowtail to keep it from flipping around? I have! Removed w/pliers and vodka at sea. I am looking at my jagged finger scar now!

BajaBass

Bummininbaja
Feb 8, 2007
La Paz, BCS
Name
Jon Lundberg
Boat
16ft,Ensenada Boat Works, Mi Sancha/'02 17' Triumph CC
OOUUCHH! Glad no major infection. I keep a Peewee aluminum bat on board, gaff em with a head shot, then beat it into submission. Can get a little dicey when you fish solo, which I do a lot of the time. I like the tattoo idea!! Chicks dig scars!!!

hulikoa

25’ Force flybridge
Feb 17, 2013
wailua, Kauai
Name
duke
Boat
Ku'ula kai
Definatelywill be adding to my first aid kit and trying all the new tips n tricks from everyone !!!! I do agree that it was a lot easier to have it removed and cleaned by the ones who do it as a living n for them I'm truly grateful.

Michelle: thank you for the update I would have never known but kinda cool they featured it on their page !!!! Stoked

Capt. Clay: always love watching u fish on TV!!! And mahalo for your feedback, hope to see some new catches from you in the future!!!

Got the boat loaded n headed out to try get the mrs. Her mothers day sashimi!! Happy early Mother's Day n happy fishing!!!