wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
When did this become such a hugely mandated requirement?
I don't recall it being a requirement before this millennial generation came of age. Or was it always just a San Diego thing?

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I did it all the time... I was copying the deck hands. Who did all the time. Been done as far back as I can remember. As far back means... I started fishing sport boats when Cpt. Steve of the Mission Belle first brought the Point Loma to port here.

Reactions: FishinMcNuggets

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
It has always been the right thing todo.I was told when I was a deckhand you can fish but if you hook something hand it off.That is what we always do on all the boats I have ever been the captain on.Like I always say to my crew people did not pay to watch you catch fish.

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Irvine
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
You don’t or havent taken your kids fishing then. Although my daughter can fish a bait herself now, I started her by showing her what to do and hooking them for her until she got the hang of it. When she was little she loved telling everyone that she caught more fish than me, man i miss my little booger.

scott v

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
What’s the problem with it? If I am at my limit and someone is struggling I will hand my rod off be it a kid or an adult. Handed off a good bluefin to an elderly gentlemen this year and it saved his trip.
I had a couple people tell me it’s not smart to hand off the setup I was using due to the cost or rod and reel. I guess there are horror stories of rods going over board and abused on the rail. I get that but I will continue to hook and hand when I have the chance.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
My most satisfying day of fishing was a 3/4 we ran on the Indian to the 150...
Fish were chewin macks and we had about 30 people on the boat..
Getting bit required a hot bait and as usual most everyone was soaking and not catchin ....
After gettin a few I decided it was handoff time...
Hung one and called over a 11 year old kid who was near and was the only kid in the trip....
He came over and took the rod and got his first yellow ever ... super stoked ..
Hung another one and called the same kid over ha said "wait let me get my dad"...
His dad came over and got his first yellow ever also and the feeling was awesome...
I hung another one and called the kid to come get and he said "wait let me get my grandpa"....
I was in shock as he came walkin over with his grandpa and he took the rod and proceeds to get his first yellow ever.....
I was blown away... been fishin my whole life and have had way better fishin many times but never the satisfying feelings I had that day..
Have handed hundreds of fish off before but this Three generation handoff is something we still talk about today and one day hope to do it again...
No feeling like it...

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Hooking is the fun part. After that its just work and worry. Hand it off and go hook another. Share the stoke
I agree ... except with yellows or most jacks... being structure oriented most of the time the challenge of stopping em turning em and keeping them from that structure to me adds that physical challenge i always crave..
I'll gladly hand off any fish in open water...

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Your really missing out if you do not take advantage of the opportunity to handoff a couple and turning someone's day around or seeing a kid's eyes light up when they catch that fish!
You are at the next level of angling maturity. As Baba Ram Dass said It will take time for the caterpillar to become a butterfly. You can’t force it to metamorphosis. Ha

Reactions: Jig Strike

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Competitive fishing on a sport boat is kind of weird, it’s always 10x better when everyone is happy and helping everyone else. Seeing someone getting a fish that makes them smile wether it’s a hook and hand, troll fish or what ever is awesome. 9 times of out of 10 when you hook and hand one for someone they want to get right back in there and hang one themselves.

Probably one of the funnest days for me personally was on a 2 day charter I did with a bunch of friends and family who didn’t fish much at all. We hit a kelp for pretty much instant bites as soon as you got a sardine 10’ away from the boat. I hook and handed like 20+ dorado, yellows and yellowfin in a row in what felt like a few seconds, the captain was up the tank, the deckhands were going full speed. It was a blast.

ssrmr2

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2006
Cypress
Name
STEVE
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
did this alot on the RR3. the best is once you hook and handed that person started hooking fish with no additional assistance.

bdubs73

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
You are at the next level of angling maturity. As Baba Ram Dass said It will take time for the caterpillar to become a butterfly. You can’t force it to metamorphosis. Ha
haha you Give me too much credit! But thank you sir!