"HOO Nation" INDEPENDENCE 7 Day July 10-17

Jul 14, 2007
Montebello
Name
Sherm
Boat
INDEPENDENCE
Welcome to the 17th Annual Tuna Runners 7 day on the INDEPENDENCE. Due to the unfortunate cancellation of last year's trip because of the major challenges we all faced, this was an absolute relief for all of us. So sit back, relax and enjoy our daily journey through the waters of Baja.

After we loaded all our gear on board and got situated its was time for some nutrition with chicken penne pasta.

My good buddy Mike knew it was time to get into the groove.

Josh was the main chef of our trip and prepared every meal you are about to see. I think we'll keep him.

Our first dinner, traditional down swell prime rib. Yep it was fantastic!

The brothers agree.

Gotta fit this in some how.

Our ace INDY crew from left to right. Capt Ted, owner/operator Capt Mark, Crewman Luis, Capt. Billy, and Capt Shane.

Master rod wrapper Freddy made good use of his 2 day travel time and went to work displaying his skills with this improvised roller. Shameless plug... If anyone is looking to have a quality custom wrapped rod made, this is your guy right here. (instagram.com/sea_sicario)

Who can turn down pot stickers with Thai chili sauce? WHO?!?

And for dinner, roasted chicken with curry sauce. HELL YA!

There's a reason Larry and Cesar are smiling.

As soon as we got to the area, the hoos started biting. Randy from OK wasted no time.

The "Judge" deemed that this perpetrator gets the death penalty. Court adjourned.

Regular passenger Greg got an assist from crewman Capt Shane.

This was Joe's magic trolling plug. It was passed from trolling team to trolling team and hooked 12 in a row!

From what I recall, all wahoo were either caught on the bomb, heavy yoyo jig, or the troll with a Nomad or Marauder. Quality!

No more speed I'm almost there.

Beast of a jack for Fernando.

Regular passenger Nancy scores a big torpedo!

This afternoon for lunch was carne asada. So tender and tasty!

Dig in Joe!

Brian trying to lift a regulation size brute. This was average size for this trip!

Who knew baja yellows liked open mouth tongue action? Kinky!

Art was ready for tonight's dinner...

...tender pork loin, mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans.

Baja sunsets are the best! Never seen a bad one.

In the dark, we snagged a tankful of giant macs and the homeguards slurped them down on the deep dropper loop. They ate the whole mac, the slab, the head, the carcass, everything!

Hash browns are best on the hard top. Oh yea, and the eggs benedict... hm.

For lunch today, Mike dug into this delicious...

...shrimp kabob with grilled peppers.

Dave got a slug on the bomb.

This was my goal this trip. Got one!

"Far Away Rocks"

I told myself I was NOT going to eat one of these. It would ruin my dinner. Needless to say, I have zero discipline.

Roosters crow at dusk, not dawn.

For dinner tonight, succulent rack of lamb.

There's always room for strawberry cheesecake, right?

Mike and Danny double teamed the HOOS.

Luis is a very happy and lucky man in more ways than one. We're so glad he's here with us.

"Has anyone seen... MY EYE!"
Standard procedure for wahoo on the deck is to whack em in the cranium with the "be good" stick except his eyeball flew halfway across the deck. Freakin hilarious!

A huge thanks to Yo-Zuri for sending the Top Knot Fluoro for everyone to use. Our mascot Joker was keeping an eye on it.

This afternoon's treat was a charbroiled INDY burger.

Beng flew in from Singapore to fish on the INDY and asked, "Is this like In-N-Out burger?"
No. Better. You can't fish from the back of In-N-Out.

Everyone loved this one for dinner. Charbroiled yellowtail on spinach and avocado teri sauce.

Topped it off with brownie a la mode.

Lox and bagels for Erin. Now that's classy!

Nonstop jumbo jacks for Rob.

Randy found the spaghetti bolognese tangy and refreshing.

Charbroiled pork chop with rosemary potatoes. One of my all time INDY faves.

PIZZA TIME!

The last day we spent looking for bluefin in the "zone".

Jay got his on a weightless sardine.

Gerald got a piece of the action. I believe all bluefin were caught on the flyline.

Last dinner of the trip, New York strip. Awesome finale!

As we pulled into the harbor to off load, we all said our goodbyes. Nothing but love for everyone. Someone mentioned it felt like the end of summer camp and you don't want to leave.

Short video: (subscribe!)

What a marvelous vacation! Everything went so well. Everyone was such a joy to be around. We laughed, ate well, got to know new people, and the bonus was that we caught a bunch of fish in near perfect weather! It couldn't have been any better. And of course the most credit goes to Capt Mark and the entire Independence crew. They really took care of us like we were guests in their house.

And the final thanks go to the following:
Batson Enterprises
Cal Star Rods
Okuma Fishing
Soft Steel
Fish Lab
BD Outdoors
Salas Jigs
Yo-Zuri
Gamakatsu Hooks
5 Star Fish Processing

See ya on the next one!

Sherm
Charter Master :-)

Last edited:

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Thanks for that awesome report! I was on the Rooster and it was a pleasure sharing the ocean with you guys and the Indy. What an amazing sunset and ocean that was anchored on the bank. Tight lines

Reactions: bajapaddyhopper

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    They may have to convert a stateroom into an exercise room and put a treadmill in there. Those meals and snacks would kill me as there’s no way I could turn them down!

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... that report was awesome!! I believe you may have taken the "Charter Masters" job... up to another level with this one. Great picts... of many different anglers and their fish. Great food shots... made me think I'm not cooking that well for myself...lol.

Nothing better than the same bunch with a few new stragglers every year. You know each others strengths... and weaknesses. You know who needs help.... every time.... and as the social "walls" come down.... the " Band of Brothers (Sisters)" help so they can ALL fish effectively. Nice grade of outerbank Alijos yellows...tough fighters for sure. Make those Coronado tails look like mackerel.

Anyways.... Love this one brother. Thanks for sharing.... and doing the other "Whoooo" anglers right. Be safe

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    Welcome to the 17th Annual Tuna Runners 7 day on the INDEPENDENCE. Due to the unfortunate cancellation of last year's trip because of the major challenges we all faced, this was an absolute relief for all of us. So sit back, relax and enjoy our daily journey through the waters of Baja.

After we loaded all our gear on board and got situated its was time for some nutrition with chicken penne pasta.

My good buddy Mike knew it was time to get into the groove.

Josh was the main chef of our trip and prepared every meal you are about to see. I think we'll keep him.

Our first dinner, traditional down swell prime rib. Yep it was fantastic!

The brothers agree.

Gotta fit this in some how.

Our ace INDY crew from left to right. Capt Ted, owner/operator Capt Mark, Crewman Luis, Capt. Billy, and Capt Shane.

Master rod wrapper Freddy made good use of his 2 day travel time and went to work displaying his skills with this improvised roller. Shameless plug... If anyone is looking to have a quality custom wrapped rod made, this is your guy right here. (instagram.com/sea_sicario)

Who can turn down pot stickers with Thai chili sauce? WHO?!?

And for dinner, roasted chicken with curry sauce. HELL YA!

There's a reason Larry and Cesar are smiling.

As soon as we got to the area, the hoos started biting. Randy from OK wasted no time.

The "Judge" deemed that this perpetrator gets the death penalty. Court adjourned.

Regular passenger Greg got an assist from crewman Capt Shane.

This was Joe's magic trolling plug. It was passed from trolling team to trolling team and hooked 12 in a row!

From what I recall, all wahoo were either caught on the bomb, heavy yoyo jig, or the troll with a Nomad or Marauder. Quality!

No more speed I'm almost there.

Beast of a jack for Fernando.

Regular passenger Nancy scores a big torpedo!

This afternoon for lunch was carne asada. So tender and tasty!

Dig in Joe!

Brian trying to lift a regulation size brute. This was average size for this trip!

Who knew baja yellows liked open mouth tongue action? Kinky!

Art was ready for tonight's dinner...

...tender pork loin, mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans.

Baja sunsets are the best! Never seen a bad one.

In the dark, we snagged a tankful of giant macs and the homeguards slurped them down on the deep dropper loop. They ate the whole mac, the slab, the head, the carcass, everything!

Hash browns are best on the hard top. Oh yea, and the eggs benedict... hm.

For lunch today, Mike dug into this delicious...

...shrimp kabob with grilled peppers.

Dave got a slug on the bomb.

This was my goal this trip. Got one!

"Far Away Rocks"

I told myself I was NOT going to eat one of these. It would ruin my dinner. Needless to say, I have zero discipline.

Roosters crow at dusk, not dawn.

For dinner tonight, succulent rack of lamb.

There's always room for strawberry cheesecake, right?

Mike and Danny double teamed the HOOS.

Luis is a very happy and lucky man in more ways than one. We're so glad he's here with us.

"Has anyone seen... MY EYE!"
    Standard procedure for wahoo on the deck is to whack em in the cranium with the "be good" stick except his eyeball flew halfway across the deck. Freakin hilarious!

A huge thanks to Yo-Zuri for sending the Top Knot Fluoro for everyone to use. Our mascot Joker was keeping an eye on it.

This afternoon's treat was a charbroiled INDY burger.

Beng flew in from Singapore to fish on the INDY and asked, "Is this like In-N-Out burger?"
    No. Better. You can't fish from the back of In-N-Out.

Everyone loved this one for dinner. Charbroiled yellowtail on spinach and avocado teri sauce.

Topped it off with brownie a la mode.

Lox and bagels for Erin. Now that's classy!

Nonstop jumbo jacks for Rob.

Randy found the spaghetti bolognese tangy and refreshing.

Charbroiled pork chop with rosemary potatoes. One of my all time INDY faves.

PIZZA TIME!

The last day we spent looking for bluefin in the "zone".

Jay got his on a weightless sardine.

Gerald got a piece of the action. I believe all bluefin were caught on the flyline.

Last dinner of the trip, New York strip. Awesome finale!

As we pulled into the harbor to off load, we all said our goodbyes. Nothing but love for everyone. Someone mentioned it felt like the end of summer camp and you don't want to leave.

Short video: (subscribe!)

What a marvelous vacation! Everything went so well. Everyone was such a joy to be around. We laughed, ate well, got to know new people, and the bonus was that we caught a bunch of fish in near perfect weather! It couldn't have been any better. And of course the most credit goes to Capt Mark and the entire Independence crew. They really took care of us like we were guests in their house.

And the final thanks go to the following:
    Batson Enterprises
    Cal Star Rods
    Okuma Fishing
    Soft Steel
    Fish Lab
    BD Outdoors
    Salas Jigs
    Yo-Zuri
    Gamakatsu Hooks
    5 Star Fish Processing

See ya on the next one!

Sherm
    Charter Master :-)
    Great report, keeping me stoked, thanks for taking the time!

Upvote 0