Honolulu in May..

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by FISH86R, Feb 4, 2019.

1. FISH86R

FISH86R Newbie

Name:
    Brian Shea
    Boat:
    MyTwoFeet
    Heading out to Honolulu in May and never been.. I plan on taking some rods with me and was hoping for any tips.. Thanks..

2. Smelt4bait

Smelt4bait Newbie

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    18 ft Runabout 'Fathom This'
    I just came back from there and didn't fish but snorkeled quite a bit. Didn't see anything worth fishing for near shore. I don't have any boating info from there but from shore, I'd pass and just enjoy Hawaii. The regs are available, got mine at a dive shop, and no license is required to fish or spearfish. Lots of closed areas so check the regs carefully. Good luck, enjoy.
    Erik

3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    incredibly sad and shocking when I saw how lifeless the inshore reefs are on Oahu ... lived in kaawa and lanikai and fished and dove in my backyard everyday ...
    Lots of wrasse around and very occasionally a small school of papio would cruise by ... ( you will see some guys doing what they call whipping on the shore for small papio) miles and miles of mostly empty reef...occasional squid and pufferfish but even out at the mokaluas saw a few rays and queen triggerfish but nowhere near the life I expected inshore... plenty of big jacks at the dropoffs on the reef edge but this is generally at least 1/2 mile offshore... this is as far from town as you can get on Oahu and still mostly void of life..
    Never even bothered trying to fish in town...and this was 25 years ago...
    Leave the rods at home..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  4. Fins in the Bin

Fins in the Bin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    used to fish
    Boat:
    50 Silverton
    Yep they are right...constant suntan lotion has killed a lot of the reefs around Waikiki and drove out most of the fish. You also may be able to find a charter boat in Ala Moana Harbor but their fishing is a lot different than ours so it would mostly be trolling for a Marlin or single lone wolf Mahi Mahi where they dont even stop the boat. Oahu is where I was born, but I only go to Maui or Kauai to feel the Aloha. You can go around the East side of Oahu and go to Hanauma Bay for some pretty good snorkeling or just try to find some spots past or around Diamondhead area for surf fishing off the cliffs. I fished there once and would never bother to do it again. Rent a big longboard and surf Waikiki like everybody else!

5. FISH86R

FISH86R Newbie

Name:
    Brian Shea
    Boat:
    MyTwoFeet
    That's just freaken sad.. Here in socal I mostly just cast the long rod for bigger game (i.e. shark) but usually if there isn't anything to feed them then there's nothing there.. I did look into there charters out there and didn't really seem interested in catching fish for a captain to sell.. I will be staying out there at a friend's house and they told me they have some people that'll take me around.. I just wanted some spots to hit on my own.. Thanks guys..

6. wallis johnson

wallis johnson ONOUNO

Name:
    Oh No
    Boat:
    diff daily
    Bone fish on the flats. Check YT to find where
    the best opportunities are:
    Guides are available.
    Kahala to Hawaii Kai is one to check, also
    Kaneohe Bay.
    Let us know how you do?