Honest, realistic, pricing feedback for a new.....

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by finadict, Feb 8, 2018.

1. AKSalmon

AKSalmon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    21' Parker 2120
    The more I think about this, the more I think that Avet already has too many different reels. Unless Avet can make a true unique reel or a $99 JX G2, I doubt that market share will expand. The G2 reels represent an almost Raptor single speed reels. The small but significant changes Avet has been making -- different anti-reverse with less back play on the smaller reels, etc. -- matter. Avet has pretty much all bases covered except for level wind, spinners, and star drags -- but I think that is deliberate.

2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Make a graphite bodied reel,like a Newell.I have two Avets.An MXJ two speed and a JX two speed.I like them but they're too damn heavy.

3. Elsa

Elsa Newbie

Name:
    Elsa
    Boat:
    N/A
    I would buy this. Having the auto retrieve on a surface iron reel and jig reel is convenient. Good price point.
    I also agree, no bueno on the lever drag.

4. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    cold6r
    I agree here but with some caveat's. First a level wind reel has more parts and some of those parts are designed to fail if a finger or something else gets stuck in between the level pawl and spool or frame. IMO a good design for those types of reels, but still prone to issues which I think will make for a greater demand on those parts and service issues.

Second spinners mean a whole new design, way more parts with skews to pay for and to keep those parts in stock. Any manufacture knows this is a lot of money for this so they must sell a huge amount of reels just to recoup some of the cost for stocking, skews let alone designing and machining a whole new reel. Very costly IMO.

Now if Avet went with a star drag using all the parts they already have skews for like frame, reel foot, handle, handle knobs, screws and such the initial cost of start up would be much less than a whole new design and in turn let them charge less for a reel.

Of course there would be more skews to purchase, some redesigning to make a star drag but IMO they would cost way less than a whole redesign and some of that cost saving could be passed strait back to the customer....ME

Drago, Elsa and Jimmieridge like this.
  5. Drago

Drago Member

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Any
    I'm willing to dish out $100-$300 for a quality US made reel, that being said I also prefer not having to replace my bearings every 3 months as well.

matta57 and fish_guts like this.
  6. MAG0121

MAG0121 Member

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    Looking at what's out there (even outside of Avet), I'd say the price point would fall about the same as a Penn Fathom 25NLD, but with a slight markup for machined frame and US made. Retail around $225 and available on special or ebay for around $200.

7. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Id like to see a JX size reel with a star drag....and left handed of course.

I fish your reels exclusively because you cater to lefties across the board.

What is missing for me is a surface iron reel. For that I want star drag.

8. Lipripper#1504

Lipripper#1504 Contact 4 discount bungee

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Nope
    I'd like to see a star drag in a quality reel similar to the Penn Torques, but for less money.

DannyNoonan likes this.
  9. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    You won't need a star drag reel if Avet can come up with a lever drag, single speed reel that will cast as well as a star drag, and have an equivalent weight.

The OP is looking for opinions for a lever drag reel to fill a "dedicated specific niche". Not another all purpose reel. I have a 533 Newell narrowed by Jerry Downie and it cost me well over $200 (reel plus conversion). I use it specifically for surface iron fishing.

If Avet can come up with a reel with that capacity and weight, and casts as well as a Newell, I would buy one if it had dogs and ARB. This is a great idea. Surface iron, yo yo, vertical jigging and popping.

10. Lipripper#1504

Lipripper#1504 Contact 4 discount bungee

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Nope
    deleted

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    cold6r

Ok, first I'm sorry for such a late response to this post as I rarely come onto the BD site. Way too many A holes here.

The above mentioned a LD reel that works like a star drad. IMO this shows they have no clue

12. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    cold6r
    I spent over 1 hour here to post my response and this is what I get?

Well I will not be back any time soon

13. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    What kind of response were you looking for

Steve K likes this.
  14. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    The OP is looking for comments on a lever drag reel to fill a "dedicated specific niche", and only a few want to, or care to comment on what he is asking for. I don't think he is looking for recommendations on a new line of reels like a star drag, level wind, spinning, etc

I have a lot of Avet reels, but I use them mostly for bait fishing and yo-yo fishing. What I think they need is a lever drag reel to compete with Accurate and reels like Jigging Master for Asian Style Vertical Jigging. These reels need light weight, heavy drag ratings, and an Anti Reverse Bearing. Avet doesn't have all of these features. If they had them, they could compete on a international level. And I think the rest of the world, including the East Coast, vertical jig, Asian Style.

I tried to vertical jig with my Avet JX two speed and MXL two speed. Too much back play with the single dog. It worked better with my old gold Trinidad 20.

This reel would probably not sell well on the West Coast, but could in the rest of the world. Just another fisherman's opinion.

15. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    CYA

Steve K likes this.
  16. Jim Schmitt

Jim Schmitt Schmitty

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You are so right Bill

17. Jimmieridge

Jimmieridge Newbie

Name:
    Jimmie
    Boat:
    A great big one out in the gulf
    To answer the OP question, $200-300 is what i would give.

18. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Avet folks: you really want to find out what your NON-CUSTOMERS are thinking. What would it have taken to get them to buy one of your reels. And if you already make something that fits your described criteria, then you need also to say how the hypothetical new reel would be different from your current offerings. You will learn what a segment of the market that you have not yet penetrated would be willing to pay for one of your reels and what features/benefits/qualities they would be willing to give up to get that reel. Then you need to make sure that you won't be cannibalizing the sales you are already making of the reel that you are already making. For that you will want to talk to current consumers of the current reel to make sure they will still prefer the more expensive reel. And once you do your market research, you will need to do test marketing. The bottom line is you are chasing the dream of price discrimination. Lots of profit to be made if you can pull it off, but you will be walking a tight rope from which others have fallen and been seriously injured / killed. Good luck!