Honda Outboard Water pump and telltail

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
So I put my motors in the water a got the overheat alarm, the pee stream was working when we got under way. I returned to the dock and conected the hose to the rinse out connection, no water came out. I tried to put 200# leader up the pee hole and put the water to it again!!!!!! No water any Ideas guys????

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
So I put my motors in the water a got the overheat alarm, the pee stream was working when we got under way. I returned to the dock and conected the hose to the rinse out connection, no water came out. I tried to put 200# leader up the pee hole and put the water to it again!!!!!! No water any Ideas guys????[/Your suppose to change the Impellar every year, some change it every 2 years. Your lucky your alarm worked or you would probably need to rebuild the power head.

el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Thermostat perhaps. Or you sucked some crud up in there. Did you try to blow thru the flusher hose?

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
i will take a compessor to blow into the pisser first. The thermostat was suspected could be a issue. Im just trying not to drive my trailer all the way from the Inland Empire to remove the lower unit!!!!!!!

stanky1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
FWIW, I have never seen water come out the pisser when I use the flush port on my Yamaha F90, even with hose pressure well over 100 psi. But the stream is just fine on muffs and in the water.

Last edited:

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
My Baja neighbor has a 90 on his panga. Started it up on hose and no piss water. I told him to stick a nail in it to clear it. Still same problem. I suspected a spider nest. So told my other naive neighbor with some pretty good lungs to suck real hard. He ended up with the goop in his mouth! Priceless. That has always been my experience...something stuck in the tube. If you can't blow air in it it is clogged. Just have to suck harder!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Who replaced the impellers ? Call Eric at specialty marine he's a good guy he'll try to help you over the phone.

Honda Dude

Oct 29, 2005
Oxnard
www.specialty-marine.com
Name
Eric Peterson
Boat
26' Blackwatch
Try blowing compressed air up the pee hole. However, note that a plugged pee hole will not cause the engine to overheat. If you still can't get water to come out the pee hole, there is probably something wrong with the impellers. BTW, don't use the rectangular ear muffs, use the round ones - they make a better seal. If you have water flow and the engine still overheats, then you need to inspect the thermostats. There are 2 thermostats, one on the top of each head.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I guess you can skip the phone call .That was quick :)

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
Figured it out>>>> Ok the water pump has a rubber fitting that goes over the tube that feeds water to the motor. That rubber piece was pushed up from the water pump pressure and that was my problem. I took apart the lower end and bamb all done.