Honda 15hp 4 stoke not spitting water (not impeller)

Dylan Wilson

Mar 6, 2017
Bakersfield
Name
Dylan Wilson
Boat
14' Valco
Hi Forum,
I'm obviously having issues and I wouldn't be posting had I not found a forum that fixed my problem already.

I took my boat with a Honda BF15A on a 4 day Eastern Sierra trout trip. On my third day we were on a bigger lake (Crowley) and I was able to open up the throttle a little bit. When I did so, the pee hole stopped ejecting water. When I would stop, water would start spewing out everywhere and it would start steaming all over. I cleared the pee hole and there was nothing blocking the line. The only time it would stop spitting was at high rpm. I don't have a tac to put on it to tell you exactly how many rpm's it would stop at. This boat only had 15 hrs since the impeller was replaced.

None of the marine shops in the city I live in are worth a rats ass so i've gone to inter webs.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

jim-m

Jim
Jan 7, 2010
Cypress,ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Bayliner Element F21
I am not a mechanic and I have an inboard engine but it sounds like the thermostat is defective or there is blockage.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Checking the impeller and thermostat as suggested would be the places to start. Not difficult things to do if your handy with a wrench.

Welcome to BD!

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
If something was steaming you might now have bigger problems.

Upvote 0

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
Start with the easy solution, I had the problem once and went through and changed the pump, thermostat, after I did this the problem was still there. Turns out where the tubing fit onto the plastic spitter fitting was clogged. cleared the tubing and the spitter and was good to go. I always bypass the "KISS" method and have to come back to it.:)

Upvote 0

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
So when you guys start your outboards and they're cold they don't piss till the t stat opens? It's not the thermostat. If it pisses at idle there's no blockage in the indicator. It's not drawing water at speed, the problem is at the water line or below. Missing woodruff key, seal on the tube that comes up out of the impeller housing? Who did the impeller and when, 15 hrs since 5 years ago? It should still pump even installed wrong, just not as good, but who knows. Take it apart and check it out. Let us know if you figure it out.

Upvote 0

Century92530

Feb 19, 2017
Lake Elsinore
Name
Anthony
Boat
Century 2200 WAC "Aliison Jean"
I had the same problem with the same motor. My issue was the tubing under the cowling that recirculates the water. The water will spill into the motor causing the water to flow everywhere and steam. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Century92530

Feb 19, 2017
Lake Elsinore
Name
Anthony
Boat
Century 2200 WAC "Aliison Jean"
This was my issue. The hose was split causing water at high speed to spray around the fitting.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
Great! an easy and cheap fix, but I am sure the problem was annoying at best.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Put the engine in a trash can full of water and run the motor, try to get it warm enough like you did at Crowley and try to determine where the water is squirting from.
The thermostats good or bad should not effect the pisser. My bet is a bad impeller

Upvote 0