homer fishing report

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
Went out memorial weekend to find some fish for the freezer. only fished about 6 miles out and found a few chickens/turkeys for the freezer. Ended up keeping 3 and letting 5 or so go. Tried to get out for some clamming but didnt do to great. First time looking for butter/steamers found a couple but will try again when its a little warmer out. Wife got the first keeper of the year
IMG_3566.jpg

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Very cool to see some reports. I think you live just down the road from me. From the spit did you head due west or go across towards Seldovia?
    We've done well at the flat islands. I imagine the reds are going to be coming in to Tutka and the Poot soon.

Upvote 0
    May 17, 2019
    Eagle River
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Salmonella
    We were over by yukon island sort of. We actually live in eagle river but were staying at a place in anchor point. We normally go for reds around 4th july weekend. try to get into them before the pink flood comes.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Nice. Im in ER too. Yukon Is. is one that we usually pass by so that'll be somewhere to try. We usually head out of Seward and make it to Homer 1-2 times/yr. When the season opens for ling do you do well around Homer?

Upvote 0
    May 17, 2019
    Eagle River
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Salmonella
    we dont get out for lings around homer. We do get some sub legals when fishing for rock fish though. You have to round pogi point and then head south a ways before you get into them. Around the corner can be pretty dicy if the wind picks up. We were out infront of port graham once the tide turned and we had 3' standing waves around the boat. not a fart of wind out dead flat tide turns and its a river. 90% of our fishing is with 15 miles of homer and generally in 60' or less (except by yukon). When we fish shallow most of the fish are in the 60 to 150 pound range and it sounds weird but we like the smaller ones so end up having to fish a little deeper.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    I hear you on the large halibut. We actually like rockfish and ling cod over the halibut any day. 15-30 lb halis are perfect sized for us. I've heard that area around Pogi can get interesting. Cook inlet bathtub effect.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
    Upvote 0

Randal

randal
    Nov 29, 2004
    California
    Name
    randal
    Boat
    19' Marine Specialty
    The one she is holding is a turkey in my book. Any fish of that size would fill my freezer for a long time. Thanks for sharing the picture and report.

Upvote 0