Homemade roof rack Rod Pod

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I've been doing a lot more fishing trips out of San Diego the last few years and have been looking for a better travel solution for my 8' rods then just squeezing them into the cab of my truck. I'm always concerned I'll close the door or window on one so I finally built a lockable XL Rod Pod. The parts cost me just over $100 and it took me about 4 days working on it a few hours at at time. There are commercially available rod pods but the cost is around $500!!!!!

The end caps and hardware came from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/REESE-Carry-Power-7054900-TransRack/dp/B00B2HP1A4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JZIHU3PAIWY&dchild=1&keywords=reese+conduit+carrier+kit+6&qid=1614278740&sprefix=reese+co,aps,216&sr=8-3

The pvc can be bought from any home improvement store as well as silicone to seal the ends and stainless steel rivets to secure the end caps.

I chose to use rivets to secure the end caps instead of the included screws to make it harder for someone to dismantle in case they wanted to steal anything inside. I understand they could just undo the nuts on the u-bolts as well as use a Sawzall to cut it open but the rivets made me feel better. Plus if you rivet the lockable end from the inside out it creates a smoother surface on the inside so the rods don't have anything to rub on. If you rivet the solid end the rivet nubs are on the inside so I suggest your keep your rods in their rod sleeves when you use this....

I very happy with how it turned out!!!!!!

PJ
re20210225_072525.jpg
re20210225_072535.jpg

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I've been doing a lot more fishing trips out of San Diego the last few years and have been looking for a better travel solution for my 8' rods then just squeezing them into the cab of my truck. I'm always concerned I'll close the door or window on one so I finally built a lockable XL Rod Pod. The parts cost me just over $100 and it took me about 4 days working on it a few hours at at time. There are commercially available rod pods but the cost is around $500!!!!!

The end caps and hardware came from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/REESE-Carry-Power-7054900-TransRack/dp/B00B2HP1A4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JZIHU3PAIWY&dchild=1&keywords=reese+conduit+carrier+kit+6&qid=1614278740&sprefix=reese+co,aps,216&sr=8-3

The pvc can be bought from any home improvement store as well as silicone to seal the ends and stainless steel rivets to secure the end caps.

I chose to use rivets to secure the end caps instead of the included screws to make it harder for someone to dismantle in case they wanted to steal anything inside. I understand they could just undo the nuts on the u-bolts as well as use a Sawzall to cut it open but the rivets made me feel better. Plus if you rivet the lockable end from the inside out it creates a smoother surface on the inside so the rods don't have anything to rub on. If you rivet the solid end the rivet nubs are on the inside so I suggest your keep your rods in their rod sleeves when you use this....

I very happy with how it turned out!!!!!!

PJ View attachment 1257579View attachment 1257580
Nylocs on the U-bolts. Good thinking there. It would suck to have them rattle loose.

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
Looks good. Mind if I copy your build?
Go right ahead, that's why i posted the link and a few recommendations....plus i stole it from someone else :D
This is a great solution what diameter pvc? and and how many rods does it hold?
6" pvc
a ton of rods without reels....I don't actually know but it would depend on conventional vs spinning and guide size....

I plan to put 6 different rods in there including one spinning rod

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
Welcome to the conduit club. Mine is 8.5' and I've got about 10k miles on it... Works great !!!

That pic was last year. I have a full Prinsu rack on the cab and topper now. I have the tube set about 3" above the rack using the Prinsu tie down eye bolts and just secure it with 2 ratchet straps vs the big u-bolts. Works just as great.

c6cj7H.jpg

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
This made it's first run from Visalia (South of Fresno) to San Diego this weekend and had no issues. I checked the u-bolts multiple times and it never budged.

I had about 8 guys ask me about it when they saw me loading and unloading my rods from it in the landing parking lot.....One guy offered to buy it from me right off my roof rack!!!!

The only issue i can foresee with this set-up is storing it when it won't be used in between fishing trips. I could leave it on but i'd like to keep it as clean as possible plus most car washes won't let you through with anything attached to your roof racks.....

Reactions: jiggermyster
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I see Plumbing Trucks (vans) with that same storage tube system on them all the time. Pretty common method to store tubes and pipe.

Upvote 0