I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 20, 2003
Springfield Mo
humboldttuna.com
Name
Jan (As in Dutchman)
Boat
Beached :(
Eric G on our Nor Cal board has been making these and I decided to give it a shot...

dscf0001_742984.jpg

All they are is old thrift shop stainless knife handles from table ware, they are solid and weigh from 3.5 to 5 oz and cost a whopping .25 ea.

I think I have a total of .75 ea in them and it only took a couple of hours to make. Some, depending on the shape actually swim fairly well but what I use them for is rockfish so it's more yo yo than anything else. I should add that you will need to heat the spots where you will be drilling as you need to pull the temper or you better have real good drills.

I also buff them on a wheel with compound to get a good shine, buff them before you put the hooks or rings on other wise it could be a trip to the doctor.

I figure that to buy Hopkins type jigs I'd be out as much as $8-9 a jig.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    awesome idea!shimano would charge 14-20 dollars each for those...

Upvote 0

Squid Vicious

me vale verga
    Feb 17, 2004
    So Cal
    bloodydecks
    Name
    Manuel Frias
    Boat
    none for now
    ................they do.........when i'd fish the california dawn alot out of davies one of regulars would kill calicos and every thing else with silver ware......capt frank savino and deckhand odie i believe.........damn that was a while ago :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

JACKPOTER

Nov 3, 2006
    Port Aransas, TX
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
    If you want to be rrrreeeeaaallllyyyy cheap, wrap a torpedo weight in foil, duct tape the end and throw a treble on it...tested true on the sculpin...

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    How the hell do you get a knife handle to weigh 3.5 to 5 oz.s?

Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
    Springfield Mo
    humboldttuna.com
    Name
    Jan (As in Dutchman)
    Boat
    How the hell do you get a knife handle to weigh 3.5 to 5 oz.s?

Big knives :rofl:

You have to look but some of the older stuff is quite heavy as it was fasonable years ago, a lot of the new stuff is hollow and although I have not tried it yet it might be possible to pour them full of lead.

Here is the inspirational post that EricG did, he really does a great job on these lures.

homemade knife jigs

Upvote 0

1:11

WMDcustoms
    Jul 28, 2005
    Name
    Boat
    WOW, jan, i just checked out the link to the homemade knfe jigs Eric is making, he has so many varieties and the blades are sick Do you happen to know if Eric G is Eric Gunderson.

Another NoCal go Steve Elliott (sp?) makes all kinds of great custom lures including knife jigs and i believe they are friends. i built a few rods for Eric many years ago, then he went and caught a 200 and 300# YFT on them on only his 2nd long trip. Lucky dude, but also an excellent fisherman and super cool guy.

edit, your came out real nice too Jan

Upvote 0

WMDcustoms
    Jul 28, 2005
    Name
    Boat
    Guys have been making Knife jigs forever, thats where the butterfly came from if you ask me. You are right Dan, jigs can be made for cheap, and sold too, to support the addiction.

Its fun when fishing evolves into a new animal where quality and quantity of fish is replaced by the desire to catch fish on rods you built, reels you souped up, special connections you rigged, and on custom lures (or flies) you built, in your own boat where you must find the fish for yourself, no guide or captain...

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker

Huckleberry
    Jun 12, 2007
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Hobie Skif
    Thats cool Im defiantly going to try that, could you use the blade for a surface iron?

Upvote 0

WMDcustoms
    Jul 28, 2005
    Name
    Boat
    Rick Click on the link in reply 9, look at what is possible with knife jigs. Blade jigs that make kastmasters look like crap. Its worth clicking, Erics jigs are sick.

Upvote 0

Mo

#1 OG, part time Secret Moderator
    Apr 10, 2007
    east of the west coast...
    Name
    Mo
    Boat
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    Check out the stuff this guy makes with the cutoff blade(blade bait) and fork handles(spoons)...awesome !!:notworthy

homemade knife jigs

Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
    Springfield Mo
    humboldttuna.com
    Name
    Jan (As in Dutchman)
    Boat
    WOW, jan, i just checked out the link to the homemade knfe jigs Eric is making, he has so many varieties and the blades are sick Do you happen to know if Eric G is Eric Gunderson.

Another NoCal go Steve Elliott (sp?) makes all kinds of great custom lures including knife jigs and i believe they are friends. i built a few rods for Eric many years ago, then he went and caught a 200 and 300# YFT on them on only his 2nd long trip. Lucky dude, but also an excellent fisherman and super cool guy.

edit, your came out real nice too Jan

No, wrong Eric G and yes this guy does a fantastic job on these lures.

Upvote 0

slammer

Jun 6, 2007
    Eureka, CA
    Name
    Bob Taylor
    Boat
    24 Striper Rosalia
    Upvote 0