Offshore Holy smokes Batman ! Is that a Wahoo at the 302?

PENN

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
ok, the shadow lines are too clean; there should be evidence of mayhem all over.... but that cockpit looks like it just got detailed...until further evidence is provided, the shadow meter is in serious doubt mode

It does appear that the guy who took the picture is sportin a woody over that catch!! LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Josh D and cabo jon
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Just sayin from either pic it doesn't look like a troll caught fin clipped long range fish as was suggested.

Upvote 0

artafishall

Decorate a seal today!
Jun 16, 2004
Mattersville
Name
Ryan
Boat
20' Shamrock "Irish Jig"
If it's true, that is awesome! If you are lying it will come back to you!

Might lose your wallet or something!

Upvote 0

artafishall

Decorate a seal today!
Jun 16, 2004
Mattersville
Name
Ryan
Boat
20' Shamrock "Irish Jig"
I need another beer!

Upvote 0

Mick

fishdivesurf
Jul 2, 2004
San Diego
Name
Kingfisher
Boat
21 Cuddy, No Ka Oi
Heard about a wahoo on the radio on thursday. 302 I think, we were little busy though, pulling in 13 YFT and 3 YT

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
the first picture wasn't even posted by the fisherman who caught it. Regardless, it has been a remarkable season and it will go down as one of the best seasons in the past 30 years.
Only thing missing is bigeye

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
If you're wondering if its fake, it's not.
I caught the Wahoo around 8 O'clock at the 302 on my Skipjack 25. Some may have heard me on the radio.
Did a long soak with a 5" sardine, started to bring the bait in for a new one and got hit. Tail looks clipped because it beat up my fish hold.
View attachment 538172
After thought, should have brought it back to Shelter Is. ramp for some better pics, I was alone on the boat.
Thats fuckin awesome! Thanks for the reply.

It could be a king Mackerel though.:rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Some of ya's are cracking me up here! What's up with all this "Pat on the Back", "Chest Pumping" and Atta Boy talk! So that's what you think about peoples pics?

Maybe Jason and Ali can add an option to where you wont be able to view pics within a post then.

Some guys get stoked on their catches and want to share pics. I got news for ya...... people want and like to see pics on here, and guess what....... little secret for ya....... you can skim right past them really easy like, if you don't dig checking them ;)

Nobody said taking pics is all about some need for showing the world your pics. Pics are just a very cool way of looking back on things and having fond memories with your family, kids, friends and bitchen caught fish LOL. If you boys don't wish to capture memories down your road of life, then that's honestly sorta sad.

But to backtrack a second...... when a guy catches a insanely rare fish to this area, then there is no reason to think that by him posting or having a picture is about wanting a pat on the back, a chest pump or an atta boy! And even if it is, then it's well deserved, so big deal.

If this guy really caught this fish, then that's truly badass........ but things just look fishy right now.

The unknown fisherman:p:

I never said I didn't like to look at fish pics - I do.

It is totally normal for someone to be proud of their catch. I know I'm proud of my personal bests. That few people know what they are has little bearing on that.

I never said taking pics is only to post them on the web. I have boxes upon boxes of pics as the majority of my life is pre-digital. More important is that I have the memories I carry with me all the time - well at least so far :). I never posted the pic of my daughter's big smile as she pulled on her first yellow. Don't need to look at the pic to recall the feelings from that moment.

Yeah it is no big deal, a little thumping, an atta boy or two. When I see a boat with big yellow stickers that say "I'M on BITCHES", reports that are all about what I did to out fish everyone on the boat and win the jackpot or how many fish I hooked and handed after I got my limit it just makes me respect the people who do those same kinda things without a word about it a little more. The people when someone tells them "nice fish!" they give the credit to the crew that helped them.

Anyway back to the thread.

When I examine the shadow in the second pic posted by the angler not only is he sporting serious wood (albeit a little thin), but he looks to be drinking a beer! Probably celebrating a soon to be successful internet hoax!!

Honestly with everything I have seen this summer I have little doubt that is a local Wahoo. Congrats on the catch!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Some of you guys will believe anything.That second picture looks worse than the first one.That fish looks old or maybe was frozen at one time.Then another guy puts up a pic of his local wahoo and its got zip ties on the tail.Who puts a zip tie on a fish if it isnt on a sportboat ?

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Some of you guys will believe anything.That second picture looks worse than the first one.That fish looks old or maybe was frozen at one time.Then another guy puts up a pic of his local wahoo and its got zip ties on the tail.Who puts a zip tie on a fish if it isnt on a sportboat ?

Not a sport boat and not local. Lol. I compared an iced fish to his.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate

I've put zip ties on fish on my boat. I was filling Club records on fly gear. Multiple fish and had to keep them distinguishable, so different colored zip ties in different locations. Yes, probably not the norm when simply meat fishing.

Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
I clip the tails of troll caught fish on my boat and also use tags. It makes me feel like I'm fishing a sporty, even though I'm not. ;)

Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
I've put zip ties on fish on my boat. I was filling Club records on fly gear. Multiple fish and had to keep them distinguishable, so different colored zip ties in different locations. Yes, probably not the norm when simply meat fishing.

also helps you ID which ones have been on ice for XX hours/days and which are going to market.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
It CANT be a wahoo because as we have all been told by the LR guys:

"Wahoo will only hit a super-fast retrieved jig on 'the wire'!!!!!!!!!!!! ....and only on a LR boat." :D

lol. tell that to the 105lber that ate a dead cigar minnow on a mono leader....

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I'm skeptical but will make sure the wired marauders are in the boat.....

I would not be surprised to see them up here this year.

Upvote 0