"Holy Mackerel" 13 Whaler Rebuild

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by Mag Bay Yachts, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    What he said!!! Except I think your specialty is customizing whatever is thrown your way!

I said it before..... you are truly the Chip Foose of the boating world...... or the West Coast Customs of boats!!

You need your own show..... seriously!

More like a 2030 Whaler. Hell, a 2030 still might not have all those goodies!

I was honestly just wondering yesterday what happened to you Barret. Good to see another post from you........ incredible work dude.... just incredible! :appl:

The unknown fisherman:p:

2. Janie

Janie Janie

Name:
    Janie
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome! What an incredibly fortunate 12 year to be involved in helping out on his own boat with such talented people to show him how and what it takes to get it done. Fantastic build out! Thanks for showing your fantastic work.

3. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Wow, great job... that is the most trick little boat I've seen. How do you attach the SeaDek product???

4. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    Once again you've shown us your talent. Obviously the best custom boat builder out West. I wouldn't have dared to choose that camo pattern SeaDeck, but you made it work. Thank you for showing us what can be done. You innovations are very inspiring.

5. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Beautiful little rig you created. Well done bro!!! Love the 13 whaler.

6. PUDDLER

PUDDLER John

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    235 Triumph "High Spot"
    Epic!!!

7. HDGreg

HDGreg Newbie

Name:
    Greg Bourque
    Boat:
    Mag Bay
    Work of art.

8. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Once again Barrett, a work of art!
    I hope soon that your dad and you get back into the boat building business so you can make us a boat built on the west coast for the west coast boaters. Something like this...
    326905d1367932526-has-time-classic-day-boat-returned-jersey-cape-47-hard-top-exp.jpg

9. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Outfuckingstanding!!!!!

10. straps57

straps57 Newbie

Name:
    Shaun
    Boat:
    Hobie
    Boat looks incredible. Awesome work. How comfortable is it to drive? I only ask because it looks like the steering wheel is located almost below your knees.

11. scwafish

scwafish Obsessed with fish

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Radoncraft 18
    Nuts!!!!

12. Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts Formerly Captain CABO Advertiser

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Thanks for all the compliments guys, it means a lot. The most fun part of the project for me was watching 12 year old Riley working on his boat. It was either work on the boat or summer camp, it was an easy decision for him. Watching him pick up things and start doing them really reminded me of myself when I was younger learning from my dad and the guys in our shop. It's one thing to do a project with someone, its another to develop a friendship that you care about. One thing for sure, I would hire Riley in a heartbeat if he ever wanted to come up and work in the desert. He's an awesome kid that's going to go far in life.

Riley fell asleep with his respirator on, I couldn't help myself. Stuff like this always makes projects fun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a lot of people that I need to thank that all made this project happen. First and foremost is Bruce, Riley's dad. I am so fortunate to have had the ability to really have some fun with this thing and to trick it out. Bruce and I have the same mentality, clean, functional and badass. His enthusiasm really kept this project moving and I learned a lot working with him. I couldn't have asked for a better person to build a boat for.
    [​IMG]

My dad was a huge help to me during the project. There is no substitute for having someone with decades of experience and thousands of boats under his belt helping out. He was always there to remind me of how big of an idiot I was for doing all this to a 13 whaler. I couldn't have done this boat without him.

The finish work is due in large part to Pancho. Pancho used to work in our tooling department when Cabo was around. He is an absolute perfectionist and one hell of a craftsman. He was a huge help sanding and spraying the hull and deck.
    [​IMG]

Steve Devoll from SD Fab out of Little Rock did an awesome job building all the stainless parts. He is a wizard when it comes to solving issues and he really pulled through for us at the end when we were trying to figure out the shifter. His work is second to none.

There are many many people that lent input into the project that I need to thank. We tried to embrace as many ideas as we could and the end result really reflects that. This boat really turned out bitchin thats for sure!

Barrett

13. Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts Formerly Captain CABO Advertiser

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Gil Sea Dek is backed by an adhesive. It's essentially peel and stick. You have to be perfect when you stick it on because once that adhesive is on, it doesn't come off. It took me two hours to peel off the temporary pads I put on the poling platform and the footwell. It's cushy stuff and really looks pretty good.

For the custom pads we went with a two color combo. Sea Foam base with snow camo on top. I was skeptical at first but am really happy with the way it turned out. Its awesome stuff to stand on, you won't slip when you're fishing and it doesn't hold any heat.

It's actually surprisingly comfortable to drive. When two people are on board we sit to the sides and just leave the center portion of the boat open, no issues at all. It's not too low and not too high. You could lean back and drive it if you had a back rest and it would be the perfect height for your feet. We tried to keep everything as low and unobtrusive as possible. We made the pod so I would only end up with 1/4" between the rear mount helm and the fuel tank; we cut it as close as we could.

I was just on that boat last month in Ft. Lauderdale, nice rig! As for the boat building business, your wish might be granted very very soon. I can't let things out quite yet but the old man and I are working on a little something...

Barrett

14. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC

Say whaaaaat!?!?!

Now that's a tease and a half!

I guess some congrats are in order..... cant wait to hear the rest of this!

Somehow I don't think quality or customer service will ever be lacking with anything you or your dad will be a part of.

Hurry up and spill the beans!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

15. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    You've got a calling bud !

16. LBiging

LBiging Newbie

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    18ft, bayrunner
    absolutelybeautiful! enough said

17. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice work Jr.

Proud of you buddy.

18. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Unreal Barrett. Wish I had that kind of talent.

19. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Amazing piece of work,your quite the craftsman,thanks for sharing that journey!

Cya Tuna Vic

20. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    Amazing project and great lesson for that boy. He helped make it come true not just handed to him.
    Great gift in many ways. Bay Bassing rig for sure.