Inshore Holy flat fall Batman, these things really work!

PENN

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
Being steeped in the world of large mouth bass fishing, ( where there is always a hot “new” lure on the market that will make you catch fish like Kevin VanDam), I have an overly elevated amount of skepticism over anything new. Becoming reacquainted with the salt water scene after a nearly 30 year hiatus, I have had a lot to catch up on. (Like where did the albacore go 🤣). Anyway, reading and watching videos on flat fall jigs seemed too good to be true and decided I’m not going to be fooled again. My steely resolve would have remained intact had the fishing not been so poor of late, and I just wanted something else to put on the end of my line.

Marching into the local tackle store, I succumb and buy a couple. Looking at the thing in my hand I can’t believe it would work, but alas, maybe this time the hype will be true. My hopes are not high. So we go out to the horseshoe, greeted with nice weather, red tide here and there, and water temp 56.5-59. Fishing is quite slow, and after 2 hours we have 2 short sand bass for our efforts. I figure, we’re not catching anything anyway, might as well put on the flat fall jig. Put the reel in free spool, and am amazed how fast it goes through the 90’ water column and hits the bottom with a “thud”. I don’t see how it could have had any action at all as it raced to the bottom, I knew it, another marketing ploy.......So next I raise my rod up bringing the jig off the bottom and then let it flutter back down and BAM! that jig gets crushed, and up comes a chunky 14’ calico. Okay, that was cool, but I probably just hit one on the head. Let’s try it again, BAM before it hits the bottom, another nice calico. Now I’m feeling bad cause my son is watching dad have all the fun, so he puts one on too, and we put on a flat fall clinic. We must have drifted for 30 minutes before we had to reset, so the fish were over a huge area. Most of them were puking food out of their mouths as they came up. Not sure if this was a once in a lifetime deal, but I sure can’t wait to give it another try.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Pics of your boy’s smiles, or it didn’t happen! Hahaha.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
When they first came out (the flat falls) I was fishing with a neighbor. A young man of 20 yrs old or so and no real fishing experience but tons of enthusiasm and a willingness to learn... So he brings a flat fall on the boat one day. I had never really seen one up close. Fishing was tough. No bites at all. And he decides to try the flat fall. Son of a bitch if he didn't start to get bit. I said to myself... You can hand one of those to the crappiest fisherman on the boat and they will get bit. :food-smil

Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Being steeped in the world of large mouth bass fishing, ( where there is always a hot “new” lure on the market that will make you catch fish like Kevin VanDam), I have an overly elevated amount of skepticism over anything new. Becoming reacquainted with the salt water scene after a nearly 30 year hiatus, I have had a lot to catch up on. (Like where did the albacore go 🤣). Anyway, reading and watching videos on flat fall jigs seemed too good to be true and decided I’m not going to be fooled again. My steely resolve would have remained intact had the fishing not been so poor of late, and I just wanted something else to put on the end of my line.

Marching into the local tackle store, I succumb and buy a couple. Looking at the thing in my hand I can’t believe it would work, but alas, maybe this time the hype will be true. My hopes are not high. So we go out to the horseshoe, greeted with nice weather, red tide here and there, and water temp 56.5-59. Fishing is quite slow, and after 2 hours we have 2 short sand bass for our efforts. I figure, we’re not catching anything anyway, might as well put on the flat fall jig. Put the reel in free spool, and am amazed how fast it goes through the 90’ water column and hits the bottom with a “thud”. I don’t see how it could have had any action at all as it raced to the bottom, I knew it, another marketing ploy.......So next I raise my rod up bringing the jig off the bottom and then let it flutter back down and BAM! that jig gets crushed, and up comes a chunky 14’ calico. Okay, that was cool, but I probably just hit one on the head. Let’s try it again, BAM before it hits the bottom, another nice calico. Now I’m feeling bad cause my son is watching dad have all the fun, so he puts one on too, and we put on a flat fall clinic. We must have drifted for 30 minutes before we had to reset, so the fish were over a huge area. Most of them were puking food out of their mouths as they came up. Not sure if this was a once in a lifetime deal, but I sure can’t wait to give it another try.
Got off the Conor this morning blue fin were missing so we fished kelp patty yellow down past Ensenada. One of our buddies was fighting sea sickness and also couldn't get a bite all day even though the boat count was over 100.(yes they were small largest about 15 pounds. On the last stop he gives up on bait fishing on throws a flat fall for back to back yellows . It changed his day. Flat fall saves the day!

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
Got off the Conor this morning blue fin were missing so we fished kelp patty yellow down past Ensenada. One of our buddies was fighting sea sickness and also couldn't get a bite all day even though the boat count was over 100.(yes they were small largest about 15 pounds. On the last stop he gives up on bait fishing on throws a flat fall for back to back yellows . It changed his day. Flat fall saves the day!
Oh I’m a believer now too!

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
That is so cool.
Which jigs were you using?
There are so many jigs and styles.
:appl: :appl:
I went into “ Chark Bait” store here in Huntington Beach, (cool guys that work in there and very helpful), and bought their knock off brand, 80 gr. in red. They said that was the only color I would need, and they were right. Another super cool thing they did for me was change out the assist hooks to a better size for bass, and moved to the front eye to reduce snagging on the bottom.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Does it really?
    I have a strictly jigging rod, I think it’s a trevala rated to 150g or something. Some of them are pretty flimsy and will give you a really good bend all the way to the handle when you get bit. The fish feel bigger on it and you have total feeling of the jig. I caught my biggest cow cod on that rod fishing a 250g jig and it was a really fun fight until they go belly up and basically float to the top. Slow Pitch Jigging is really big pretty much everywhere else in the world but here so you can find really good YouTube videos on it.

Another jig you may want to try is the Jig Para Vertical jig. They have a red crab one and if this fish are eating the flatfalls they’ll murder the skinny jigs. I’ve caught more rockfish and bass on skinny jigs than flatfalls. But in a wide open but they’ll eat them all.

Reactions: Dave Coopman
    Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    I have a strictly jigging rod, I think it’s a trevala rated to 150g or something. Some of them are pretty flimsy and will give you a really good bend all the way to the handle when you get bit. The fish feel bigger on it and you have total feeling of the jig. I caught my biggest cow cod on that rod fishing a 250g jig and it was a really fun fight until they go belly up and basically float to the top. Slow Pitch Jigging is really big pretty much everywhere else in the world but here so you can find really good YouTube videos on it.

Another jig you may want to try is the Jig Para Vertical jig. They have a red crab one and if this fish are eating the flatfalls they’ll murder the skinny jigs. I’ve caught more rockfish and bass on skinny jigs than flatfalls. But in a wide open but they’ll eat them all.
    Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a try.

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Some people do it here, too. 😁
    People had no idea what it was when I started fishing slow pitch a few years ago. Now they do. Here's a recent video. All my videos are recorded on the Channel Islands. Have to get down south and get into some pelagics!

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    trick when using the Flat Falls. if you keep a little tension on the line as it comes off the spool. The lure will drop quickly to the bottom. If you are in 300 plus ft of water it saves a lot of time

Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    trick when using the Flat Falls. if you keep a little tension on the line as it comes off the spool. The lure will drop quickly to the bottom. If you are in 300 plus ft of water it saves a lot of time
    Only when you’re rock fishing and you want catch anything on the way down. If you’re fishing pelagics it is the opposite, let free fall without tension or your jig looks like a torpedo sinker.

Reactions: jowo
    Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Only when you’re rock fishing and you want catch anything on the way down. If you’re fishing pelagics it is the opposite, let free fall without tension or your jig looks like a torpedo sinker.
    Jiggermeister Is that not what I tried to say? if you keep tension on the spool the jig will fall faster. So if the tuna are at 350 ft you can control the depth rate of speed the jig reaches as you control the spool. if the fish are only 100ft down it really does not matter the speed of the lure fluttering down as they will come up and attack it as from what I have experienced. Cheers

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0