ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
Duckworth XL 30
I'm taking this more seriously than many here. If you guys haven't watched Chris Martenson's videos on this, you should. I've been watching them for 6 or 7 weeks and he has been pretty spot-on in assessing what is happening and what is coming next. We've only begun to see the severity of this. Wait 2 weeks, we'll have 10x the cases. 2 weeks more and we'll see 10x more based on the models. I hope they're wrong, but I'm not betting against them.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
Feb 3, 2018
Puget sound
Name
Koopa
Boat
Arima
I'm taking this more seriously than many here. If you guys haven't watched Chris Martenson's videos on this, you should. I've been watching them for 6 or 7 weeks and he has been pretty spot-on in assessing what is happening and what is coming next. We've only begun to see the severity of this. Wait 2 weeks, we'll have 10x the cases. 2 weeks more and we'll see 10x more based on the models. I hope they're wrong, but I'm not betting against them.

There is no doubt a large increase is coming but I’m not sure I would rely on an economist for information regarding a pandemic. I would leave that to the professionals.

Reactions: FVSerenity
Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt

Yep you are. If you look at worldwide data the death rate is tenths of a percent. When you listen to media sources, the death rate is in the low single digits and millions will die.

How do explain the models when China contained it despite being ground zero and taken by surprise? The rest of the world had the benefit of getting some warning of things to come.

Upvote 0

ledbed6b

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
How do explain the models when China contained it despite being ground zero and taken by surprise? The rest of the world had the benefit of getting some warning of things to come.

So you're saying you believe the numbers China is sharing? They have a lot to lose if the world thinks they are still dealing with the virus, and of course China is known for its culture of global transparency....

Upvote 0

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
Yep you are. If you look at worldwide data the death rate is tenths of a percent. When you listen to media sources, the death rate is in the low single digits and millions will die.

China controlled it by putting the country on lockdown for over a month. And most businesses still check temps at the door & insist employees wear masks.
is that what you are advocating?

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
So you're saying you believe the numbers China is sharing? They have a lot to lose if the world thinks they are still dealing with the virus, and of course China is known for its culture of global transparency....
Hey now... that's racist.

Upvote 0

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
Duckworth XL 30
Well, time will tell. I think its far better to err on the side of caution than lose millions of lives. I'm wearing a respirator & eye protection out in public and avoiding people at all costs. We won't know the true death rate for a while, but its not "tenths of percent". Please provide links if you're going to make claims like that.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
The death rate is all over the map, but in general it is lower than other virus pandemics like SARS. The total mortality rate in the US is actually encouraging to me, except for that care facility where basically everyone died.

Now we have to see if there is anything left when we emerge from this or if we kill the economy completely with the “response”.

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
Well, time will tell. I think its far better to err on the side of caution than lose millions of lives. I'm wearing a respirator & eye protection out in public and avoiding people at all costs. We won't know the true death rate for a while, but its not "tenths of percent". Please provide links if you're going to make claims like that.
5tenths of a percent may be a reasonable number once all the unreported low symptom cases are taken into account. Of course if we don’t continue it take this seriously and infect 100 million or more Americans that is still a lot of dead Americans.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
The death rate numbers are all inflated as many people never show symptoms and are never tested. South Korea has done the most testing and has recorded a 1% mortality which is high but also inflated as they are only testing people with symptoms or those who have come in contact with someone they know was sick. The 24 hour news cycles and over eager politicians are not helping. I read that the swine flu pandemic of 2009 may have caused up to 575K deaths world wide but we somehow managed to make it through without destroying the economy. I understand the theory of flattening the curve but this will only work if we commit to the 'shelter in place' until a vaccine is available(12-18 months). The good news is if this goes on long enough the wealth gap should narrow significantly with more and more people pushed into poverty.

My solution would be to infect all school children at once and isolate those in high risk groups and their caregivers for a month. Once the kids and their families got over it we would have a herd immunity built up in the population preventing large outbreaks. The saddest part of this whole thing is we had a couple months to prepare as we watched China react but our leaders did nothing(state or federal).

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    7534755D-ABC0-42AB-AA31-6F67C0EA177F.jpeg
    7534755D-ABC0-42AB-AA31-6F67C0EA177F.jpeg

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

this is the kind of stuff that amazes me.... China the epicenter a huge country with more than 4 times the population of the US had a grand total of 3200 deaths. Somehow the US will loose millions of lives?!? Wow! You can run for office with math like that! More people die daily in the US from auto accidents!

Seriously people! No one anywhere is seeing millions of lives lost. It is a serious health risk, don’t get me wrong, but all the dramatic over inflation is not needed and helps no one!

Isolation/social distancing/ self quarantine cannot hurt anyone as far as disease spread and health...... The bigger economic impacts are huge and people who were barely paying their bills and now fall behind, landlords not getting paid, businesses maybe going under....Maybe it was time to hit the economic reset button.... We shall see.....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    So you're saying you believe Chinese government? :oops:

regardless we can only go on what we have and compare the numerous other countries with similar results, except Italy.... For some reason Italy has seen higher than French, South Korea and other European counties....

Double China’s report if you want...it’s just not millions as some people would state...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    I hope I'm wrong. I would love to be wrong about this. But I'm not going to argue the forecasts. Goldman Sachs does their research, and if they're saying its gonna be bad, I'm inclined to believe them. More importantly, I believe their actions... and they're selling like mad.

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I hope I'm wrong. I would love to be wrong about this. But I'm not going to argue the forecasts. Goldman Sachs does their research, and if they're saying its gonna be bad, I'm inclined to believe them. More importantly, I believe their actions... and they're selling like mad.

dude! Don’t get me wrong... I didn’t say there aren’t and won’t be deaths and financial impact.... I have a hard time seeing it in the millions based upon real data...

Goldman Sachs is also selling based upon the shut down impacts, global trading, and all impacts globally...

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    If you don’t want to believe China, look globally at University studies.. lots of real data..
    E21BA2CD-03EE-4E20-8906-7CB832D32D61.png

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    If you don’t want to believe China, look globally at University studies.. lots of real data..
    View attachment 1124700
    Fake news
    As a person who believes in god and science you must compare apples to apples. Maybe go to an approved news source... or simply talk to your neighbors and friends for the real news.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fake news
    As a person who believes in god and science you must compare apples to apples. Maybe go to an approved news source... or simply talk to your neighbors and friends for the real news.

This was part of a larger study done by John’s Hopkins..... lots of info in the article... what apples to apples?

talking with my neighbors friends shows me that none of them are sick or even know anyone who was sick.... My friend who is a doctor (pediatrician) and I spoke two days ago, and he is amazed at the hysteria... the origins Corona is part of the common cold...

Other friends out of works, self employed friends businesses closed down due to Government order...

So..... help me understand as a person who believes in God and science..... the statistics are high? Low? Or this is God thinning the heard? Pardon me, just not sure what you are saying is fake and where the correlation between God and science even fit in...

And.... what is an approved news source? NOT John’s Hopkins University? Maybe Fox or CNN? Neither of them need headlines..

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    This was part of a larger study done by John’s Hopkins..... lots of info in the article... what apples to apples?

talking with my neighbors friends shows me that none of them are sick or even know anyone who was sick.... My friend who is a doctor (pediatrician) and I spoke two days ago, and he is amazed at the hysteria... the origins Corona is part of the common cold...

Other friends out of works, self employed friends businesses closed down due to Government order...

So..... help me understand as a person who believes in God and science..... the statistics are high? Low? Or this is God thinning the heard? Pardon me, just not sure what you are saying is fake and where the correlation between God and science even fit in...

And.... what is an approved news source? NOT John’s Hopkins University? Maybe Fox or CNN? Neither of them need headlines..
    Go to our U.S. Government approved websites.
    Apples to apples is a simple concept. When a person shows a graph comparing countries that are testing differently, treating differently, reporting differently... data inherently gets skewed. Thus creating panic and also mistrust in our government. JH has plenty of time to analyze the data after the fact. It isn't as if they have actual #s of comparable data.

Upvote 0