Hollow loop splice ?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by DennisV, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    So theirs only 1 true way to make a open end loop??

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Seems so...

3. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    I just started getting into hollow core splicing and I believe theirs the inverted loop and the loop that your talking about but with a double wall set up on the leader...if I'm not mistaken.

4. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Correct, the loop in your mainline to attach a windon or topshot is different than the one for creating a windon or topshot.

When making a double wall you are creating the loop by pulling the spectra inside of itself and not reversing or turning it inside out.

That splice has great strength but, will pull out easily. The tension serve will prevent that from occurring.

Bill W and stephen campbell like this.
  5. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    What I'm seeing here is that on a inside out loop, the inverted portion of the tag end is compressing the main line at the loop end. Then non-inverted portion of the tag end gets re-inserted where it's compressed by the main line for the rest of it's length.

As opposed to a loop where the main line is compressing the tag line for the entire length of the splice, with a in/out lock stitch or two weaved in along the way.

So this would be what makes the inside out loop a superior connection?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  6. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The tag end on the Spectra is not inverted, the portion above the tag end is...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    I know. I probably should have worded that post to be more specific. I went back and edited it.

8. maxpowers

maxpowers Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    someday a 23' Striper
    I read this thread for the fun of it but assuming there is some small differences in the ABS of the inverted vs non inverted loop, the break if any will be from the chewed off portion on the mono or fluorocarbon or possibly at the knot. You are unlikely to have a failure in the loop to loop connection regardless of which method you choose to make your loop.

Juanba likes this.
  9. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    So by not doing the inverted loop and it has to be set up as a double wall over the mono/flour to achieve a lower probability of not slipping out and not just doing the loop without the double wall??

And what do you mean by tension serve?? Is that another serve for just the loop??

10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Just my view, but I too would like to know John's thinking. If the leader is under tension when the serve it 's diameter is smaller. Like if you put 30# of drag on your reel that leader gets measurably smaller. Now when you serve with 30# tension on the leader the serve is set for that diameter and drag.

11. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    If you are creating a double wall topshot/windon you must serve the material mono/fluorocarbon under tension as the serve has to support the connection at close to the breaking strength of the material you are serving.

If you make an inverted loop and insert the material into the hollow spectra make the splice at least 24" for it to be secure and still serve the insert under tension.

You can make secure windon/topshots by doing an inline insertion and leaving a 36" tag end with no loop. Do a 2-3" insertion serve it under tension or with half hitches (like the old dacron splices) and it will not fail.

For a simple loop in hollow spectra - no tension is needed. Insert the tag end in 12" come out of the hollow and bury the tag end in the mainline for 12" and its a 100% connection.

Cubeye and Bill W like this.