Hollow Core Braid Knots

bracer028

Aug 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Bryan Wong
Boat
Four Heavenly Kings
Long time lurker, but ran out of limits on the viewing.

I have hollow core braid, but on the boat when I need to change leader, Can i just tie the hollow core with Leader on a Double Uni? I don't have time on the boat to start sewing.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
You can pretty much tie whatever. I've tied the FG with hollow, no problem. I still prefer to tie with solid, so with the few reels I have that still have hollow, I splice in a good length of solid. That gives me plenty to tie knots with and I think the solid has less drag in the water. Easy splice with wire. I double the solid and pull it in a few feet and secure with two nail knots with a dab of Tac Glue on top. Rock solid connection.

monkutare

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2003
temecula
Visit site
Name
Boat
blackman billfisher 26
I tie the FG....IMO much stronger than the uni uni and RP and easier to cast through the guides.
David,
Do you ever splice solid to solid, say for instance if you lose a lot of solid (say 50-80lb braid) from a tangle and want to add more on top? If so, what knot/connection do you use? I always value your input.
Thanks

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
David,
Do you ever splice solid to solid, say for instance if you lose a lot of solid (say 50-80lb braid) from a tangle and want to add more on top? If so, what knot/connection do you use? I always value your input.
Thanks

I use about a 5' length of hollow spectra to join the solid to solid .....I pull doubled solid spectra half way up the hollow spectra and pull doubled solid up the hollow on the other side tie a nail knot on either end of the hollow spectra to hold the doubled solid in the hollow spectra....sounds more complicated than it really is....

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I use about a 5' length of hollow spectra to join the solid to solid .....I pull doubled solid spectra half way up the hollow spectra and pull doubled solid up the hollow on the other side tie a nail knot on either end of the hollow spectra to hold the doubled solid in the hollow spectra....sounds more complicated than it really is....
Only one nail knot on each end of the hollow?
CA glue?
What size Spectra do you use for the nail knot?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
only one nail knot all it does is keep the doubled line in place till the hollow spectra grips the solid two knots just add bulk....I use either 60# or 80# solid for the 6 turn nail knot so I can really pull on it I leave long tag ends so I can pull the knot tight with line pullers.......IMO the glue is optional

Reactions: Cubeye and T.O.T.W.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I tied 30 floro to 40 hollow last wed at the farm with the Yucatan with no issue.Tom

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried testing a simple 3-5 wrap doubled overhand knot to make a loop? I do that pretty commonly when I just need a quick anchor point to load a rod, test drag, etc. and even on lighter line they seem to hold up pretty good under a lot of tension. Would be curious to see how much of a loss there really is compared to a Bimini when the knot is tied properly.

monkutare

Apr 2, 2003
temecula
Visit site
Name
Boat
blackman billfisher 26
Thanks, also Do you know what size hollow would work for 50, 60, 80 braid?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Out of curiousity, has anyone ever tried testing a simple 3-5 wrap doubled overhand knot to make a loop? I do that pretty commonly when I just need a quick anchor point to load a rod, test drag, etc. and even on lighter line they seem to hold up pretty good under a lot of tension. Would be curious to see how much of a loss there really is compared to a Bimini when the knot is tied properly.
A surgeons loop? They are really strong for dropper loops so I don’t know why they wouldn’t work.
Regarding the original question, I was super hesitant to use FG knots, they looked too complicated at first but finally gave them an honest go and I’m ashamed I didn’t start earlier. I tie it pinched between my fingers and it comes out very clean and like others said casts perfect. I’m still messing with a couple ways to finish it. You need knot pullers to do it, hand tight will get you cut and still leave a bad knot. 10 crosses and one half hitch, pulled until the spectra grooves into the leader and turns clear, then finish how you want. I’m working on this rizzuto knot finish but I must be dense because it looks easy but I’m screwing it up...

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Long time lurker, but ran out of limits on the viewing.

I have hollow core braid, but on the boat when I need to change leader, Can i just tie the hollow core with Leader on a Double Uni? I don't have time on the boat to start sewing.
To tie new leader like mono or floral to your hollow braid simply and quickly i go with the RP knot.
Get good at the RP knot and you can tie it in under 1 minute.

welcome on board

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
To tie new leader like mono or floral to your hollow braid simply and quickly i go with the RP knot.
Get good at the RP knot and you can tie it in under 1 minute.

welcome on board

The RP knot is actually a modified Albright.....tests lower than either the Pena or FG....FYI

Reactions: Cubeye

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
The RP knot is actually a modified Albright.....tests much lower than either the Pena or FG....FYI
I am well aware of that
But I tie the RP knot fast and with confidence and it's never let me down. But I've only tested it on fish to 80 pounds.

Reactions: Fishybuzz