Joe Nelson

One Salty Kook
Sep 1, 2016
Newport Beach
Name
Joe Nelson
Boat
A Yaker
I need some advice about lines. I want to be prepared for the larger grade BFT that has been out there. I don't know anything about hollow core, but this is what I was thinking.

So right now I have 80# Powerpro Depth Finder on a Penn Fathom 60 I want to put a hollow core 130# line on that reel. I'm thinking about stripping the 80# line and putting that on my speedmaster ii 16, which has 65lb power pro maxcuatro on it and put hollow core 130# on the Penn. Then put the 65lb maxcuatro on a torium 20.

Any thoughts?

Also, I bought some 300# mono and crippers to set up my SK jigs that I have. I'm thinking about doing a wind on setup. Any advice on how to do that?

unnamed.jpg

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    I would keep everything as it is. The fathom is a 60-80lb reel anyways and braid typically has a higher breaking strength than what rated for.

For the jigs I rig them up to a heavy barrel swivel for quick tying.

Reactions: Joe Nelson
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    It might matter what you intend to do with the 60 which I assume is a FTH60ld2. There is a recent thread that claims solid braid has less drag in the water and is therefore better for jigging, flat fall fishing. It’s fun to learn how to splice hollow core but it’s not necessary for you to use wind on leaders, you can simply tie a Bimini twist in solid braid to form a loop.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    I want to be prepared for the larger grade BFT that has been out there.
    I don't know anything about the Speedmaster 16, it looks very similar to a Fathom 40 or 60. Factory specs on either Fathom show the same max drag, 40 lbs. While researching precisely your stated goal above, last year, I opted for a heavier reel to "be prepared" for larger grade fish. Turns out the Fathom reels don't really get anywhere near their factory stated drag specs without losing free spool. If I want to put an honest 30 lbs. of drag at strike on my reel when 200+ lb BF are around, the Fathoms won't cut it. I'll fish my Fathom 40 with 80 lb. braid, up to 60 lb. topshot. Night bites, flatfalls, definitely want something beefier.

Upvote 0