fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
After reading about the Holiday in magazines and Western Outdoor News, my dad and I decided to try the boat with a 1.5 day trip to fish for some rock cod and lings. We arrived Saturday morning and started yo-yoing for yellows. None would bite though. Then the white fish moved in and it went wide open for white fish. I was using a mega bait tipped with squid and would get hammered before I hit bottom. After we got our fill of white fish we moved to a deeper spot to fish for some reds.

We got there and I dropper looped an 8" Berkley Gulp squid. It doesn't take long before i hook up a nice fish. My bait was way out and it took awhile to get it in but i was rewarded with a nice Salmon Grouper. I drop it down again and get bit almost instantly but the fish took the squid right off the hook. I put that setup down and grab my calcutta 400 with 50# spectra on a super seeker, stick a diamond jig on it and cast it up current so it would hit the bottom under the boat. Almost every time I hit the bottom almost instantly I got nailed by a nice starry eye. My dad was using the same diamond jig and getting reds. I couldn't get a red to bite! I still had fun loading up my sack with Starry eye though. I got one smaller size ling doing that, but i let it go. On the last stop Ricky, one of the deck hands asked me if he can use one of my rods with spectra. I show him which rod to use and he drops down and comes up with the biggest Starry eye I have every seen. He thought it was a cow cod at first.

We had a good trip with lots of good eating fish to make tacos with. The Holiday is a great boat with an even better crew. Ricky and Josh are always there when you need them and give great advice. Randy did a good job putting us on the fish and Ian did a great job cooking. My dad almost got jackpot, but one of his reds got beat by another red in the final weigh in. They also raffled off a free 1.5 day trip and I won that one! I will definitely be back on that boat in the summer for some tuna.

Here are some of the pictures from out trip

Attachments

• Dad and Red Resized.jpg
    Dad and Red Resized.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Collonet Reds.jpg
    Collonet Reds.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Salmon Grouper resized.jpg
    Salmon Grouper resized.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Collonett Sunset.jpg
    Collonett Sunset.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

fishhobos

whodatdodat
Jul 15, 2008
Pomona
Name
Paul Will
Boat Name
28 ft, Pursuit, Miss CathyII
Nice big fish. I'm sorry but I don't know what a starry eye is, have'nt been at this too long

Upvote 0

FINSEEKER

Jan 15, 2005
San Clemente
Name
Chuck Kemnitz
Boat Name
25FT CUSTOM OPENFISH
Myself and a few friends are going this Friday...looks like the weathers going to be pretty much perfect.

Upvote 0

harryo

harryo
May 9, 2005
San Diego
Name
Harry Okuda
Boat Name
sold
Hey Matt, nice pics! With all the traffic down there, the boats were all spread out after the tail bite. Nice to see a large area with a lot of stones...all good stones. Congrats! Seaya!
harryo

Upvote 0

J-HOOK

J-HOOK
Sep 23, 2005
San Pedro
Name
Joe
Boat Name
19' Seaswirl
Were headed out Friday night 1/30/09 on the Holiday. Were there any other jigs that seemed to work well. How much weight was need for bait fishing. Anyone fishing the 4" gulp grubs? Thanks in advance. Why don't you join us Friday with that free pass. Be home in time for Superbowl with fresh taco fish!

joe

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat Name
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Were headed out Friday night 1/30/09 on the Holiday. Were there any other jigs that seemed to work well. How much weight was need for bait fishing. Anyone fishing the 4" gulp grubs? Thanks in advance. Why don't you join us Friday with that free pass. Be home in time for Superbowl with fresh taco fish!

joe

Salas 6x or Tadys are the way to go the heavier the better to get down faster with a good size line anywhere from 30lbs up in the early morning for the Yellows, for later activities you will need heavier line around 40lb plus for a dropper loop with single or multiple hooks, the grubs in red have worked pretty well on the boat Ive seen alot of people use them. As far as weight is concerned 12oz being the min and 16 being the max depending on the current with the 16 its a bit faster down to the bottom obviously but will require a few cranks off the bottom because they tend to get lost down there from time to time. If you dont have anything or run out of any terminal tackle dont worry the boat has an on board tackle shop that will be very helpful. Ask Ricky or one of the other deck hands to take care of you when youre on board. Good luck this friday I dont think i will be making this trip!

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
Freezer is pretty full and the pass is only good from June thru September. In the afternoon when the wind came up those anglers fishing with weights needed 16 ounces or a fairly heavy jig. In the morning 12 ounces or a lighter jig was fine.

For rock fishing I fished most of the day with a white gulp 4" swimming minnow, a live sardine and a silver 10 oz. diamond jig. Matthew was using just the diamond jig. I caught most of my quality fish on the diamond jig, a few came on the sardines. Most of the fish I caught on the gulp were smaller. In the morning Matthew and I both were yo yoing with 40 and 50 pound with 6x juniors. No yellows were caught on our trip. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Matthew's Dad

Upvote 0

Lefty25

Oct 5, 2008
Roseville California
Name
Sean
Boat Name
Alright boyz and girls, the trip Friday is a "GO". Weather should be fantastic. Still $100 Holiday Bucks up for grabs for the first YT boated. I honestly want to make good on this bet, so catch one of those f**%^rs would ya. Everyone get their early so we can shove off b4 8, as you know they dont hang around very long...
We will be gassed up and ready to go when you check in....

Fish on boyz and girlz

Lefty

Upvote 0