Lifeislarge

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Dude it’s a fuel tank, not a leaky boot. We care about your safety and others. Just saw a video from up in CT of a boat that blew up at a fuel dock. They cut it loose, it drifted down the river into another dock and burned up four other boats.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnoEric

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Unbelievable.Wiser to be an asshole than to patch a rotted fuel tank with JB weld quick cure.

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Dont DO IT!!! Mongo no like fire Fire Burn Mongo!!!

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat
Parker
It's been a few months since WCMS discovered a few holes in my fuel tank while replacing my 2004 F150. They would not run the new motor on the old fuel tank so had them plumb in a above deck tank with fuel filter. I added a 2nd fuel tank above deck (30 gal total).

After trying out the new fuel tanks on many fishing trips, I've decided to repair my tank in place and save many $$$$ having someone do it. I moor my boat, have no trailer and have a small yard, so me doing the work is out.

Today I started repairing the only holes I have found, after inspecting all the welded fittings on my fuel tank. I cleaned the one welded fitting with three holes around it to bare metal the best I could. Then I replied JB weld (fast cure in 6 min) as it was turning into putty-like substance around the fitting, plugging the holes.

Next I'll use JB Weld (slow cure) to cover the fitting. If ok, then do the rest of the fittings around the fuel tank. After that clean up the top of the fuel tank (that I can get to) to bare metal. Then apply cold tar epoxy (2-part) to the top of the tank including the fittings.

I believe this will give me a few more years out of the tank.
HOLY MOLY batman,

Please for the love of your safety. Replace that gas tank as soon as possible. You're going to end up messing up that motor, sinking the boat, or something worse. Everyone told you the outside fuel tanks won't work. You obviously realized that as you're resorting to fixing your old one. This will not work AS WELL.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Sometimes I wonder why I even post with asshole comments like above!
You are a fucking idiot, you give more time and effort on a fucking stupid ass trolling than you do on the fuel tank. Your first hack solution was to mount a couple of deck tanks instead of dealing with replacing the original tank, now you realize that was a stupid idea and want to try and put some miracle Putty on the top and not even consider what the rest of the tank looks like... you are just asking for problems... not to mention you are endangering lives at your marina with a chance of a fire on your boat... maybe your marina should be aware of what’s going on with that floating time bomb... do us all a favor and drag that POS back East like you have been planning to do... let it burn out there....

If you’re going to call me an Asshole... I will be to you!

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
That's a good point about being slipped in a marina.I would not want to be parked near him.

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
After inspecting the entire fuel tank with a scope, the only corrosion was under the access hatch I installed above the fuel tank sending unit so I could replace it. My bad for not catching this potential problem earlier. A week or so ago I patched the small holes due to corrosion around the fuel outlet hose. Yesterday, I 2-part cold tar epoxied the entire area and more. The rest of the tank is just fine. Today I'll put gas back in the repaired belly tank and start the process to remove the temp tanks. I'll keep the tank fuel switch and spin on fuel filter above deck for easy access and transfer ability. That way I can easily install a temp tank for long range remote camping or fishing trips.

Since I moor my boat, twice each fishing trip I put my nose in the bilge to turn the seacocks on and off as well as to check on other potential problems, i.e. bilge and bait tank pumps.

This repair is now closed.

Last edited:

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Scoping the inside of the tank doesn’t mean a thing, corrosion is from the outside of the tank... and there is no way in hell you scoped the whole outside of that tank... you keep trying to convince yourself you have no problems...

Conniving? NO
Asshole ? YES

Last edited:
Reactions: meandmyself

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
How did you get the scope past the baffles? My holes were on the end caps front and rear. Some hadn't busted through yet but were paper thin spots of corrosion about the size of a quarter.

Reactions: meandmyself

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
Good Riddance!!! Take that POS to Alabama you Fuckn Hillbilly...Your powers of deduction are fucked up!!! and could very well be your demise....Instead of listening to reason you put those cartoons up??? and call folks that have tried to help you names...Please spare us "JUST GO" already...You Fuck!!!

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
UPDATE:

Finally finished my repair on the 100+ gal fuel tank. Since I moor my boat and live 45 minutes away it took much longer than I initially thought. I inspected the tank all around for any other corrosion. There was none other than the water damage at a fuel outlet barb (my bad). I sealed, and 2-part cold-tar epoxied (heavy build) that area and all I could reach around the tank. I installed a gas vapor sensing gauge in the deepest part of the bilge/tank area. I tested the gauge by placing a gas soaked rag into the bilge area far away as I could from the sensor. It alarmed within a minute and took quite awhile to reset after the rag was removed.

Also installed a multi-stage fuel filter system (above deck by the motor). 1st a see-thru 40 micro filter, then a spin on 10 micron fuel filter water separator with a clear bowl with drain. Then another see-thru filter to allow me to see if gas is flowing to the motor. After burning through 30 gal of gas I emptied the spin on filter into a glass beaker to see if there was any captured contaminates or water. There was none.

To test out the repairs I filled the fuel tank with 75 gal of gas. while watching the vapor gauge. If there was still a hole somewhere within the tank it would show up here as the fuel pushes out the gas vapors. No gas alarm after filling or while sloshing around in an angry ocean. All was good so off to catch some dinner.

Next project is to repair the holes I've put in around the boat from my many reconfiguration projects over 17 years of ownership. Then paint the boat by hand. My other boat with my cousin in Alabama is almost ready (1976 PRO-LINE flats/grass boat) to fish the backwaters of the South come next Fall. It's got my former 2005 F150 I replaced on my Cabo with a new F150. I'll just keep my Cabo here for the time being and enjoy this view several times a week as I extend my search for those elusive halibut.

irresistible love poems

Last edited:

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Have you removed the foam from around your tank and have you had it pressure tested before you buggered it up? How did you inspect the entire tank while it's still installed?

Reactions: One_Leg

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
UNFUCKNBELIEVEABLE...Nice wires right there by your repaired GAS! Tank!

Reactions: plj46

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
After taking a closer look, how many butt splices and how much electrical tape are you using to patch up that short run of wire? Aren't you trying to "fix" the symptoms of a leaky tank while in denial of and ignoring the cause?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
You guys feel better.

What a bunch of cowardly attack jackals. Do would think I killed someone. It's just a boat with a little hole on TOP of the gas tank. It never leaked. It's repaired. There were no leaks or fumes after filling the tank with gas and sloshing it around on a long ocean fishing trip. Get over it! Again for the ones who have a problem comprehending the English language "There were no gas fumes. There was no evidence of a gas leak or other holes."

You expect we to tear my boat apart to find out there were no other holes at a cost of thousands of dollars because you say so. If there was a leak due to a hole you would smell it and the gas fume detection gauge would alert you. Anyway who the fuck died and made you an expert boat smith. To the ignorant asshole, the pics were from various parts of the repair process with tools to hold wires in place for the pics. The splices were to test out the fuel gauge before a permanent repair, etc., etc. What a bunch of racist assholes some of you are on this board. You keyboard fishermen need to take a deep breathe and try fishing instead of concocting conspiracy theories about a boat you know nothing about.

I'm not going anywhere soon. I'll be out in the ocean or on my boat 3-4 times a week for the near future as in the past (started hand painting it yesterday) while you guys type on your keyboards your ignorance to the situation. I'll be off to fish the backwaters of the South this Spring at the earliest but most probably this Fall because of better bayou fishing. In the mean time

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Hey Howie,if you don't like sound advice or criticism don't post your half assed fixes on a website full of fisherman that know their stuff.And then to call people racists ? WTF is that shit ? Do the neighbors of your slipped boat a favor and show them your gas tank fix.They'll probably want to get a different slip.I know i would.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
"cowardly attack jackals" Really? "What a bunch of racist assholes"? Racist, Really? Isn't the word racist reserved for those ignorant dumb ass useless little libtard rioters when they cant come up with anything intelligent to say so they call everyone a racist. What's race got to do with anything on this thread? What's your reason to keep posting pictures of your "work" that even Mickey Mouse would be ashamed of if you can't deal with peoples opinions and comments? Face it, as others have said you keep trying to convince yourself you have a safe solid tank even though you have done nothing to prove it. No complete physical inspection, no pressure testing. Your proof and confidence is Howie says it's good so it must be good just keep telling yourself that and don't forget to click your heels three times while chanting it. My tank had a couple of small holes near the top as your tank did. I had it pressure tested and it failed. After removing the wet foam from around the tank guess what we found, holes, lots of holes and lots of corrosion and soon to become holes. It's your boat and your safety so do what makes you happy and may you and your boat blow the fuck up you dickhead.

Last edited:

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Thanks for the kind words. After 50 hours of use since the fuel tank repair, the boat STILL has not blown up. Much to your chagrin I'm sure. Fishing for far away rockfish has been great. The only change I've made is removing the trolling motor. It's just not for me. Holding over a rockfish hole is like catching fish in a bath tub. Zero sport. So I'll take the trolling motor with me to put on my boat in Alabama, 1976 21' PRO-LINE flats boat. With the money I've saved not replacing a very solid fuel tank except for a tiny hole, I've rented a house on Fish River for a couple of months so I can fish the river, Meeks Bay, the Gulf of Mexico and the bayous 24/7 from Oct thru Nov from the backyard. "It's Bayou Fishing Time" as the shrimp, crabs, reds and speckle trout come in for the winter. My grandparents had a house just up the river back in the 50s which I visited ever summer for many years. I caught a giant alligator gar off their dock as well as many saltwater and freshwater fish.

Hope you enjoyed your holidays. I sure did and looking forward to a very successful 2021. Now it's time to start planning on fishing the Florida Keys as a continuation of this trip. I've got a few bucks left.

As a suggestion: you guys need to get a life and stop dwelling and commenting on things you know little about. It just shows your ignorance, as well as your cold heart.
HH
1609159722210.png

Charming Home on Fish River – Perfect for Families - Summerdale (vrbo.com)