Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
Maybe you should have moved your batteries forward and increased your bilge pump capacity.

I did not call anyone a moron. I just did not like all the derogatory remarks. But I listened to their comments and discounted most as ignorance of the Cabo's capabilities. But due to many years fishing on this boat all over socal and Baja, I think I've got a handle on its seaworthiness as well as its shortcomings.

Stay tuned for future updates. Already sold the bait tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trayscool

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Speaking of ignorance.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Somebody got two different accounts going here or what ?
sure seems like "dhowat" and "halibut howie" are the same person.. and I thought its against the rules to have two accounts for the same person...
look out the shit may hit the fan.....

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Trayscool,

For the record IYO why did your Cabo sink?

The Cabo216 was a Beta version of a new boat that came out around 1986. The chief architect died just before its introduction. I had a two hour talk with the other co-owner (a trailer manufacturer) at the 1987 Del Mar Boat Show where he told me the history of manufacturing the Cabo line. I also visited his trailer manufacturing plant where the Cabos were being built about a year later He said he was not doing well financially. To the best of my knowledge no improvements on the Cabo line came after the architects death. All Cabos were made with automotive wiring a cause to a few sinkings. I have been modifying my Cabo for 18 years to address these shortcomings especially since I moor my boat,

Sorry about my snootiness and incorrect assumptions towards you. It was uncalled for and out of my usual character. Just had enough of the ignorant Cabo keyboard fishermen and boat smiths remarks on this board.

HH

Last edited:
Reactions: Trayscool

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
No problem man just want you guys to be safe out there.....we made some mistakes and learned from it....I just picked up another boat and dropped $1000 on safety gear before we hit the water..its no joke

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Howie, I know you have owed your boat for a long time and know it’s limitations. I didn’t realize it was your boat that was posted because of the user name. I was thinking it was someone who just decided to add extra fuel tanks to the stern without knowing the boats limitations.

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Fishbones,

I'm sorry about the dual names. I believe I did it awhile back when this name did not work. I grew up with party phones lines not cell phones. I'm trying to delete that name to avoid further confusion.

But to answer your question "How did the wiring cause sinkings ?"
The automotive wiring corrodes in a saltwater environment potentially compromising connections to the bilge pumps and OB motor. I have (2) 1500 gph bilge pumps with float switches and a manual control panel. Starting batteries are in a sealed compartment away from the transom.

IMO the most important mods to improve upon the Cabo's seaworthiness are
(1) rewire the bilge with marine grade wiring
(2) move the batteries forward
(3) increase the bilge pump capacity

I know some guys will freak out but (4) seal the scuppers and (5) allow all water on deck to drain into the bilge. After 5000-6000 hrs on this boat I have never had a wave over the bow or transom but if it happened the bilge would start taking care of that while I start the motor and get out of harms way. That's my Number 1 priority. The scuppers when too many fat people or gear are on the boat's transom allows water to come in through the scuppers (then scuppers below waterline) and starts the flooding process. Moving the transom weight forward helps a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: momaguro
Aug 20, 2009
El Cajon
Name
Rodney
Boat
Cabo 216, Bayrunner 16, Pro Line 19, Robalo 19, Four Winns 20, Tremblay 17
Good luck, maybe you should add some cinder blocks to the swim step too since we are all morons over here

View attachment 1175156
Yes, you are all morons here. You people are so fucking stupid you can't even tell that sunk boat isn't/wasn't your 1994 Cabo 216. It's staring you all right in your fucking stupid ass faces. Even this other guy that's had his Cabo 216 for 18 years or whatever can't even see it. Absolutely fucking amazing.
M-C-B-F-2.jpg

I wonder why everyone here sucks Travis' clit, just kidding as I don't give 1 fuck about that, Travis - winter/off season is right around the corner... I'll see you soon enough.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Yes, you are all morons here. You people are so fucking stupid you can't even tell that sunk boat isn't/wasn't your 1994 Cabo 216. It's staring you all right in your fucking stupid ass faces. Even this other guy that's had his Cabo 216 for 18 years or whatever can't even see it. Absolutely fucking amazing.
View attachment 1199827
I wonder why everyone here sucks Travis' clit, just kidding as I don't give 1 fuck about that, Travis - winter/off season is right around the corner... I'll see you soon enough.
Nooooo.....
You're back again!?!