blufin10

TightLines666
  • Dec 8, 2005
    Ewa Beach - Hawaii
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Put in a full day with Captain Chris on the Aku and crew out of Waienae today. Long center (KC Aku in flasabou) went off on the first pass over the pinnacle at 0910hrs. Of coirse he hit the 12/0 Fish Winch we were messing around with. Had him at leader in 25mins, but line parted when it touched some recent rought glass work on the extension. Around 1100jrs, 4nm S of CO the short and long riggers went off. Hools pulled on the long after a short run. Short came to gaff quickly. We were all surprised to see a sail when the fish jumped behind the boat. This is only my second Hawaiian sail in 20 years of fishing here.

Fun day.

John

IMG_4155.jpg

20210718_183048.jpg

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2007
    Honolulu
    Name
    zzzz
    Boat
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    We also have caught 2 sails in 20 years of fishing here - don't know if it was that first one was somehow off, but meat tasted terrible, very metallic tasting. Released the second one a few years later. Only fish I have ever intentionally released from my boat at least.

How did it taste? My fav eating fish in HI is the hebi aka pacific short bill spearfish.

tight lines,

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
    Oahu
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Capt. Chris, John and crew,
    Sorry to hear you lost one of Ken's lures, I'm sure he's glad it got bit. How'd the 12-0 work out? Cool on the sails and getting one. Here's my history with the "sea turds"... got one in a pile 1995 off Pine Trees, one in many years of getting after it.

Cheers
    Pat

Reactions: blufin10
    Upvote 0

blufin10

TightLines666
  • Dec 8, 2005
    Ewa Beach - Hawaii
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Capt. Chris, John and crew,
    Sorry to hear you lost one of Ken's lures, I'm sure he's glad it got bit. How'd the 12-0 work out? Cool on the sails and getting one. Here's my history with the "sea turds"... got one in a pile 1995 off Pine Trees, one in many years of getting after it.

Cheers
    Pat
    We actually lost 2 of these this summer. The ono have been chewing on them, this was are first Ahi bite on the bait. We didn't like fighting the fish on the Fish winch II. It didn't really have the power to gain line without significant assist. We put our resident long time commercial fisherman on the line and he handlined that fish in like he was bringing in a double marker Bigeye on longline gear, smooth and steady. The line toiched some sharp unfinished recent epoxy work on the extension that I actually commented on before we left the dock. The lesson seems to be that the devil is in the details. Also, we heard that the only other boat that we saw working the Pinnacle with us (a force) caught an Ahi as well.

20210627_102643.jpg

Upvote 0

blufin10

TightLines666
  • Dec 8, 2005
    Ewa Beach - Hawaii
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    We are smoking the fish and making dip, so I am sure it will be great. Color was similar to striped marlin, but more sinue and terrible yield (like 35% chunk to whole weight).

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
    Hawaii
    Name
    Chuck Merkel
    Boat
    21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
    Growing up in Key West, that was the only way we tried to eat it. I've only caught one in my years fishing out here. That was three summers ago.

Upvote 0