wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
FlatsFalls....SKs....Speed Jigs....Knife Jigs.....Rip Rollers....Fill in the blank jigs.

Since we like to brink the kitchen sink on these trips.....let's see if the west coast BFT like these as much as their east coast cousins.

Through rigged with a #240 ball bearing swivel....6x VMC Barbarian on the Tuna Harness and 4x VMC Barbarian on the Pro Tail Eel. 6oz and 8oz.

Might get interesting...or not. K-cup for size.

Since I'm bringing 80lbs of jigs...hopefully I'll get around to giving these a go next week.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 7.42.17 AM.png

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
FlatsFalls....SKs....Speed Jigs....Knife Jigs.....Rip Rollers....Fill in the blank jigs.

Since we like to brink the kitchen sink on these trips.....let's see if the west coast BFT like these as much as their east coast cousins.

Through rigged with a #240 ball bearing swivel....6x VMC Barbarian on the Tuna Harness and 4x VMC Barbarian on the Pro Tail Eel. 6oz and 8oz.

Since I'm bringing 80lbs of jigs...hopefully I'll get around to giving these a go next week.

View attachment 1301390
What trip are you on next week Ben? I am on the tuna slicers.

Upvote 0

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
They do like them here. Great strong hooks that will land large bluefin. On days it take something not seen as often they work great. Only problem is you have to try to keep it quiet as demand soon follows….. Best of luck to you.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
I have tried the RONZ lures out here in SD many times for BFT with only one bite thus far and I didn't even land the fish. I have thrown it into foamers of all sizes..
Hogy's are similar. No Sand eels /spearing or Eels in the BFT feed out here..
I have had great success with RONZ for Larger YFT at Hurricane and Clarion for some reason that I have no idea why..as it doesnt look like anything there(at least I think).

Still worth a try though.. Who would of thought a jig with 10 hooks on it would work?

Reactions: Cubeye and gved823
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Coincidentally an angler buddy, also from CO, used some Hogy Swimbaits a few years back with success. These are Protail 5.5 and 4” Paddle Black Silver. 5.5” is 2 oz. Fishing those skittish Bluefin foamers, he tossed one of these in on his jigstick. Quite a battle on the lighter tackle, but he won. It’s Corndog, (Jason Jones)

20210723_143815.jpg

20210723_143749.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vegasandre
Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Coincidentally an angler buddy, also from CO, used some Hogy Swimbaits a few years back with success. These are Protail 5.5 and 4” Paddle Black Silver. 5.5” is 2 oz. Fishing those skittish Bluefin foamers, he tossed one of these in on his jigstick. Quite a battle on the lighter tackle, but he won. It’s Corndog, (Jason Jones)

View attachment 1301800

View attachment 1301801
those look like they would work here...

Reactions: Steve K
Steve K
Steve K
Thinking especially the smaller one when they’re keyed in on those big schools of Anchovy.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
ANY REPORTS BACK ON THESE YET?
Thanks

View attachment 1301390

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I also tried them. They worked on yellowtail and dorado okay, but not great. Did not work on tuna. Not saying they won't work, but they certainly won't give you an advantage over other lures, unless they start eating sand eels like they do on the east coast. They do work well on bottom fish.

Reactions: Chicago Pete
Upvote 0