WTB Hobie Power Skiff

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
Redwood City
Name
Christian Filloux
Boat
14' Valco
Is it possible to move this to the general posts? I think ill be skipping the gelcoat and using some Interlux Brightside. Pain for the bottom instead... I have composites experience but for motorcycles with raw carbon and glass, so no knowledge of gelcoat... Can i sand most of it away, fill with fairing compound, prime then paint? Im concerned with cracking where i use fairing compound to fill the big chips and such as these boats have thin glass and they flex alot...

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
Redwood City
Name
Christian Filloux
Boat
14' Valco
Did you buy this from the Latino dude in Hayward? I’m pretty sure I looked at this exact boat and was going to buy it but I found a whaler in better condition right after I looked at it. Sweet little skiff.
That is the guy! He did not want to budge on his price either, but I still think it's a good deal. You saw that gelcoat though, and I'm really not sure what the best way to fix it is as it's pretty badd. What would you do?

Hellosugaree

Sep 6, 2019
San Francisco
Name
Timbo
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
What would you do?
What would I do? Easiest question I’ve been asked all day: Go fishing!

If I recall it was in decent shape for the age. Other than a bunch of spider cracks on the gunwales it seemed solid. Have some fun then worry about fixing it up later. Nothing a little YouTube and BD forums can’t handle.

If you need a deckhand let me know. Happy to alternate trips on each other’s boats since we’re both in the same area and presumably fishing the same stuff due to limits of having tiny boats.

Reactions: Christianbrat

Christianbrat

Mar 27, 2019
Redwood City
Name
Christian Filloux
Boat
14' Valco
What would I do? Easiest question I’ve been asked all day: Go fishing!

If I recall it was in decent shape for the age. Other than a bunch of spider cracks on the gunwales it seemed solid. Have some fun then worry about fixing it up later. Nothing a little YouTube and BD forums can’t handle.

If you need a deckhand let me know. Happy to alternate trips on each other’s boats since we’re both in the same area and presumably fishing the same stuff due to limits of having tiny boats.
Makes sense to me. I did swap out the lowrance elite5 dsi for a garmin echomap+ 64cv. Im a garmin guy haha.

Taken it out to santscruz a few times so far and its been great. Likes to stall going from neutral to forward unless you baby it then feed it gas. It sounds like its not getting gas through the shift then takes off once it catches up.

Honestly don't know anything about outboard and especially efi (used to have honda carbed dirtbikes) so diagnosing these things is hard for me- im thinking a linkage adjustment.

Ill pm you my #