history opinions about 760 blank GF 760L 760H

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by geebee, Jan 21, 2019.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    i am interested in learning some information about the 760 blank - facts, myths, legends and factoids

it seems to have been around for a long time - much like the 6455 that was pretty popular in the '90s when i started paying attention to such things - they both seem to come in many line classes L-H XH XXH XXXH

has the 760 had its day or is still viable - what is its contemporary equivalent - how would you explain the 760 personality for bend, tip, backbone - how are you using your 760 fishing rods

i see a lot of factory and custom Calstar Grafighter 760L (30-80) FOR SALE in mint condition and that would suggest they aren't so useful compared to what else is out there (probably because they are thin in the but for rail rod use) - still i really like that bend...

personally, i have custom roller GF 760L (30-80lb, 6') - and custom roller GF 760H (50-120lb, 6') that i am trying to learn more about - how to better use them with my Avet reels and braid fishing line on the West Coast (not for trolling or kite fishing) - the 760L would have to make a great 50-pound yo-yo rod with an Avet MXJ Raptor

i've caught a few 60-70lb class bluefin on the 760L using 60lb fluoro (20lbs drag) - and didn't notice it bottoming out - it felt pretty good and it went to the rail with no problems using that drag

likewise, i want to fish the 760H at its higher line ratings (80-100lb) ... the biggest tuna i will run into are the small cow sized within 2 days of San Diego

i've only caught a couple 15 pounders with the 760H but they put a nice bend in it for a couple minutes

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    They are too short and too slow of an action for rail use. Years back, the 765 blanks were very popular, but as the transition to longer rods and rail use has cut into their popularity. Same for the 6465 series as well. Most newer blanks that replaced them are longer (7'+) and also faster.

geebee likes this.
  3. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    good point,
    a 6- to 6.5-foot rail rod Vs a 7- to 7.5-foot rail rod

how long should a good railrod be pro con
    cow tuna versus school size fish medium 50 pound and under
    fishing on the rail Vs standup

i'm new to the RAIL the last 2 years (largest 70lb BF)
    using both my 7.5' 875H and 6' 760L
    neither are "rail rods" by current definition
    they are what i'm working with
    and both worked ok for me on those class fish

but i am tall with long arms and legs and the shorter rod gives me an advantage i can make up leaning over the rail at least on the smaller fish

i've put dozens of 12-20lb BF YF school size tuna on the deck using 12- and 15-lb mono line (and #2 and #4 hooks) with short and 8-foot rods so i have some technique going on to adapt my tools

still trying to figure these 760 blanks out - not ready to invest in a real rail rod and 30W 50 wide reels to hunt cows

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Ok, no love (and little interest) on bdoutdoors saltwater fishing forum for the 760 family of E-glass and grafighter fishing rods on the tuna grounds

But it should be a safe comment that the original rod designers never had going to the rail in mind when they created the 760 - classic 20th century rod technology and design

More likely - with the 760's parabolic bend - the heavy versions are best suited for rod harnesses, belt gimbals, fighting chairs, boat rod holders and very strong men - vs Southern California west coast standup style fishing

However, the GF 760L (30-80) has a great bend and tip action I find both light and heavy versions interesting and useful in their line classes - and my 760L has proven itself rail worthy in its line class

My GF 760H (50-120) is thick in the butt so going to the rail in it’s line class should be safe with a little common sense - I hope to test it more on the rail with much bigger tuna this year

lastly, if i was buying new or building a custom rod - 760 would not be my first choice - but finding a used one in great shape at 1/3 the price of new can work for some people and i'm sure a lot of them still fish 760 rods with success

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    moz2121 likes this.
  5. moz2121

moz2121 Member

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    1720 Key West CC
    Geebee, great questions , found this thread useful, have you gotten to test out the 760 yet at the rail?
    I got a great deal on a set of 760s from L-H...but when I ask guys at the shop for opinions, they act like those things were built 100 years ago... they all push for the 7+ ft rods, but I cant imagine these rods being completely obsolete...

6. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    So have them extended. Way cheaper than buying a new rod.

7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Yeah you could extend them,it's not too hard. Don't think any of the calstar 700 series ever came in e-glass just composite glass graphite

Cubeye likes this.
  8. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    I fished a Grafighter 760L (30-80) w/ 60lb leader flylining sardines and caught a few bluefin tuna 55-70 lb and used the rail

It was a delightful experience and I really liked the feel and bend of the rod against the tuna

I called Calstar and specifically about fishing their GFers on the heavier side of their line rating

They keyed right on the ‘rail’ issue
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/rod-to-do-40-50-and-60.706305/page-2#post-4754376

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Comparing the 5’ short-rod trends vs the 7’ long rods for 60-100lb line class tuna fishing

I’m somewhere in the middle at around 6-1/2 feet these days

Moreover, I have no fear taking a lighter ‘non rail rod’ to the rail with some common sense - beats tiring myself out

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  10. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    How does a pro go about extending a rod like the 760 - or are u being funny

11. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Wouldn't you dowel it and add a guide?

12. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Totally disagree for lots of reasons

13. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Hey Jim, always willing to listen and learn.

14. moz2121

moz2121 Member

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    1720 Key West CC
    Would love to hear your opinion, I already have the 760 and would like to have the confidence and knowledge that I can handle some larger fish

15. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Holy Moly....I guess I should first apologize to Robert for the short response to his comment as he is correct in that the fishing industry is ever changing and cyclical and the shiny new penny on the block seems to be towards longer rods and he is correct in that regard.

With that said let me preface my comments with this disclaimer;
    I am in no means an expert but just offer some insight from fishing out of San Diego, Seaforth and Oceanside for 52 years and have fished just about every rod ever made as my wife would attest to when she sees the 300 + rods and reels taking up residence in my humble abode :)
    The question from the Original Poster was the viability of the 760 series of rods along with basically anything less than 7 foot in length so I will attempt to provide some commentary that may or may not be of benefit.
    Rail Rods can actually be anything you want to fish using the the rail as a fulcrum while fishing... most "Rail Rods" have an extended foregrip that in my opinion start at a minimum of 14" long up to 20" long and to protect the grip many but not all have some sort of tube type wrap be it X Wrap, 3M shrink tube or even Gasoline hose to protect the fore grip and allow the rod to slide on the rail if need be...The Factory Wrapped Calstar Graphiter 760 series have a 14" foregrip and I have found they are more than long enough to lay on the rail.
    The 760 is a FAST action rod and it's cousin the 7460 is a EXTRA FAST action rod....the 4 in any rod model indicates the faster action....670 vs 6470....same rod...faster action.
    Each rod maker has it's own twist on design for basically the same rod and I will use Calstar and the original Seeker Black Steel as an example....the Graphiter 760 L (30-80) and a Black Steel 6460H (30-60)....Seeker has a tighter rod rating than Calstar and has a bit more glass in them so they don't shut off as fast as a graphiter and both have a very similar "sweet" spot for line size and both are great rods as it come down to preference, what you are fishing for and how you have your reel set up...more on that later.
    The 760 is a great yoyo rod and a great dropper loop rod which comes in handy if you ever have the chance to fish grouper down on the Ridge, Guadalupe or the Lower Banks as well as fishing yellowtail, white seabass or halibut.
    Very versatile rod for live lining a bait, throwing wahoo bombs or trolling and the leverage you can get can be very helpful especially when fishing on open party boats with 45 of your new friends.
    The other nice thing is because it is shorter it makes it easier to maneuver around other people when either somebody else or you are flying up and down the rail doing the over / under thing.
    Somebody asked about the 760XH (60 - Unlimited ).....that is a COW Killer and I have 2 of them....one for bait and one I use as a kite rod and they are money.
    The last thing I would say is that the Original Seeker 6463 series is 6'3" long and for me personally is one of the best big fish rods I have ever owned along with my Calstar 760's
    Don't get me wrong....the newer longer rods are great as the technology has evolved but the shorter rods certainly have their place in the line up and are more versatile than longer rods in my opinion as they can cover a much wider spectrum of fishing and when going on a trip the old adage of "Less is More" seems to be apropos
    I could go on but hopefully this will at least give you some insight as to the validity of a great series of shorter rods.
    Don't be afraid to fish em and with this Bluefin busting out locally now would be the perfect time to get some "Field Testing" on the water

Tight Lines
    Jim

PS.....this is just my own opinion so if anybody would like to add to the discussion one way or the other by all means please do so....the only way we all learn is the sharing of ideas and experience
    PSS....Don't even get me started on the value of Roller Rods....if people ever took the time to learn how to fish them the right way they would be amazed :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  16. moz2121

moz2121 Member

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    1720 Key West CC
    Thank you, that was a great explanation. Alot of folks like myself have never had the need for super heavy gear locally, but alot of us have got to taste that the last couple of years, but getting a top of the line"modern" setup can run over 1k easily. So piecing together a set up within my budget steered me to pick up some 760s. Just glad someone with the experience can give us some info on these...thanks for the info!

17. moz2121

moz2121 Member

Name:
    Ivan
    Boat:
    1720 Key West CC
    Please I would really enjoy reading your take on roller guides. If you have time I would love to hear your opinion...

geebee likes this.
  18. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Jim, honestly no apology necessary. I didn’t mean to come across as snarky if that is how you took it. Lots of ways to skin a cat, with all kinds of rods. I agree with everything you wrote. More importantly I’ve used many of the rods you mentioned. One of my personal favorite rods which gets not much love is the 6463xxh but built full length at 6’8” not cut down to the 6’3” factory rod. I also fished a 765xl for many years before eventually going longer rod with a more aggressive taper. Also still own and use a SS6465H, and love it (and all the good times it has brought me). It’s pretty clear you have a lot more experience than me, and I like the feedback. Thank you!

titan05 likes this.
  19. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    x2...