HI'S TACKLE 10 DAY NOV 1-11 --ROYAL POLARIS REPORT...VARIETY AND EPIC YT NIGHT BITE -- EPISISODE 4 - The Ridge Tuna and Wahoo

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
November 6 – Woke up this morning to biting “Ridge Grade" tuna…Having to cull through the skippies and mini-yft to get a few to tag, but a fun morning yanking and cranking. High point was a flurry of every cast of an OTI popper resulting in a blowup or a fish. Snuck in a break for breakfast…bacon, eggs, and toast.

FISH MIKE TUNA 20201107_063021(0).jpg

Mike with a quote of the day from Ryan…“That's a better grade"…”No, same grade…just a fat kid in the class.”

FISH JOHN WAHOO 20201106_082915.jpg

Somewhere along the line I managed a 40# wahoo on a Tony the Tiger 6XJR…ate it close to the boat…almost a quick fish…ended up in the bow with a squirrelly fish making it to the gaff.

Team 2 finally stopped the boat with a double, and Brett gone one...thinking on the bomb.
FISH BRETT WAHOO 20201108_083153.jpg

Ed and I were on Team 3 and spent a chunk of the day in troll jail, though got a break for lunch, grabbing a pita sandwich and then back to jail, until we finished the day on some grouper drifts for a few more grouper including a few larger ones.

ED  AND GOHN ROCKS 20201108_083311.jpg

ACTION LOU HOT RAIL WAHOO 20201108_081540.jpg

Traffic Jam---Lou had an angry one....making the run to the bow...gotta love wahoo fishing!

We worked back to the 13, where we'll spend the night, hoping for the tuna to bite again. From there, the plan is to run out to Alijos Rocks…hoping to still have Team 3 up to get things started. Dinner tonight was Asian Shortribs, rice, and vegetables.

November 7 Woke up around 0330 to biting tuna, more of that stock grade Ridge tuna, with lots of smalls to wade through, with a few 18-25…I tagged a couple in the 12# grade, reserving some wishful thinking tags for wahoo or the larger grade yellows that we’ll fish when we arrive to the Rocks around 2200 tonight.

OTI POPPER.jpg

Snuck in breakfast with Bruce and Mike, biscuits and sausage gravy and eggs, went back out catching a few on the battle scarred OTI popper.

Spent a lot of the morning throwing the jig and the bomb, hoping for a stray wahoo…no love.

We took off around 0700 for the Rocks, along with the Polaris Supreme and the Excel.
POLARIS SUPREME_DSC0448.jpg

Polaris Supreme

EXCEL HEADON_DSC0615.jpg

Excel

It became official that this trip would not finish off on the Bluefin grounds as the weather is forecast to get shitty, with 35 knots of wind expected…as always, it's all about timing. Many years our trip destinations are influenced by tropical weather…this year, it’s the first big westerly of the year. Assuming we rebook for this same trip with Hi's Tackle, it is actually departing 10 days earlier in 2021…hopefully the craziness of 2020 will be behind us. Also on this day the Presidential Election was decided…another cycle offering two bad choices is over.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Every time I look at the picture of the Excel the rust stain running down the bow makes me cringe. I know it is just cosmetic and likely not even seen from the boat but it looks like a giant skid mark.

Reactions: PheasantHunter
Upvote 0